Help Recover Files in Documents and Settings.

mi1stormilst

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2001
My friends north bridge hsf fell off and shorted his gpu and agp port, he got a new mobo, I am unable to boot to windows due to the changes in hardware. How can I recover the files in his Documents and Settings folder? I try to access from my admin account after installing his HD in my box no luck, I tried to view the Documents and Settings folder via the Recover Console...says access denied even after loggin in as admin in the RC )-:

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Try taking ownership of the files. As long as he didn't encrypt them, it shouldn't be too tough.

Also, introduce your buddy to the art of regular backups.

mi1stormilst

Golden Member
Mar 28, 2001
How do I take ownership of the files if I cant boot to windows on that drive? I can see the folders just cant get in them due to permissions )-:

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
If you put the disk in your machine, you should be able to right click on the files, go to properties and over to the security tab. I think the ownership stuff is located in the advanced section there. Basically go to the Owner tab, select your username, and hit apply. (I THINK!)

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
If you put the disk in your machine, you should be able to right click on the files, go to properties and over to the security tab. I think the ownership stuff is located in the advanced section there. Basically go to the Owner tab, select your username, and hit apply. (I THINK!)

You think correctly. There is a check box for 'subcontainers and objects' too that "I" Think should be checked. ;) I have not had to use this since NT4. Jeez.

FunkierThanU

Jan 19, 2004
You could probably just drop the hard drive into a Linux machine and get them directly, again, assuming he didn't use encryption.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: FunkierThanU
You could probably just drop the hard drive into a Linux machine and get them directly, again, assuming he didn't use encryption.

Or you can just take ownership of the files. A workaround that would probably be quicker than getting half assed NTFS support working. ;)

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: FunkierThanU

I would rather create a PE CD and boot on it to access, but it is easier, as n0cmonkey says, to take ownership.

If you are not an enterprise or OEM, you can roll your own thanks to Bart.
Bart's PE Builder