Help! Previously working new build suddenly won't POST.

mimart

Feb 24, 2012
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my new build. It has worked fine for a few days after I restored Windows 7 using a system image. Now, all of a sudden, it won't POST. I'm getting a debug LED code of "34" (CPU post-memory initialization). I get nothing but a black screen; monitor shows "no signal".

I've had several problems with this machine not wanting to boot to Windows prior to this but I've always been able to get to the BIOS, or, the last time, Windows 7 safe mode. I've had to reinstall the OS twice, since the tech forum fixes didn't work. The last event, I restored the system with a system image, as stated previously, and installed latest chipset and storage drivers from OEM.

I installed my first game on the machine this morning (BioShock) to the secondary HDD. My OS is on the primary SSD.

The game seemed to work fine. I played for about an hour, then exited and checked my email. No problems. I went to several other sites to pay bills. Still no problems.

Now, several hours later, I go to the machine and see a blank screen. I checked the Debug LED and it showed "AA" (System has transitioned into ACPI mode. Interrupt controller is in APIC mode). I powered off and back on and I get the 34 Debug code.

I've removed the board battery and reinstalled it based on the suggestion from another forum, but no go. I've checked the connections, in particular the PCIe cable. Everythings tight.

I powered off and back on after this last action and the debug code now shows "64" (CPU DXE initialization is started). I hope some of you folks can guide me to a resolution of this latest glitch. Thanks in advance.

mimart58

Asus Maximus IV Gene Z/Gen 3 MB
Intel i5 2500K
Corsair Vengeance 8gb RAM
MSI TwinFrozr GeForce GTX560Ti 2gb
Intel 320 Series 80gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1tb HDD
Corsair 750W Pro PSU

Last edited:

ChippyUK

Jan 13, 2010
I think the board is faulty and needs to be RMA'd. Call ASUS tech support and save yourself a lot of time over trying and waiting for forum suggestions at this point.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
While I agree with chippyUK in general if it was me I would pull everything and make 100% sure that you have no bad connections, also check you haven't bent any pins in the CPU installation area as RMAing it won't be an option at that point.

mimart

Feb 24, 2012
I think the board is faulty and needs to be RMA'd. Call ASUS tech support and save yourself a lot of time over trying and waiting for forum suggestions at this point.

Thanks for your reply. I'm almost to that point. I've read other posts on other forums from folks with a similar problem as mine and the tech tips they've been given haven't resolved the issue. It either is not resolved or the resolution is a new MoBo.

mimart

Feb 24, 2012
While I agree with chippyUK in general if it was me I would pull everything and make 100% sure that you have no bad connections, also check you haven't bent any pins in the CPU installation area as RMAing it won't be an option at that point.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I bent the pins in the CPU socket, only because I was particularly careful with that part of the build. This is the 2nd MoBo I've had in this machine. Bending the socket pins is exactly what I did with the 1st MoBo, a Max IV Gene-Z. I sold it on Ebay, as is.