Help Please! HTPC not working on 1 TV, but works on others

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
I was starting to see some artifacting in XBMCbuntu 11 (eden) on my 3 year old Radeon 4830. I went to microcenter, and picked up a passive 5450 on the cheap. After I got the new 5450 installed (HDMI), I powered the PC on and there is no picture on my TV in the living room, where everything was working before. The TV in the living room is less than a year old. Here's all the troubleshooting I've done to this point..

-I tested the HDMI cable by plugging it into my 360, had no issues with picture there.

-I tried using a different, working, HDMI cable on the same TV, in a different HDMI port. Still nothing

-I tried a VGA cable, still nothing. Tried using a VGA to DVI adapter going to the back of the PC, still nothing.

-Took the PC into my bedroom, hooked it up to my tv in there via HDMI...now im getting picture. The TV in my bedroom is a good 4 years old.

-Took the PC into my brothers bedroom and hooked it up to his tv via HDMI...still seeing picture. His TV is about a month old.

-Popped the 4830 back in, hooked it back up to the TV in the living room where the 5450 will not work. Seeing picture again

This is all on a fresh install of XBMCbuntu. I'm stumped as to why the 5450 works on all other TVs but the living room. I'd greatly appreciate any help!

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
It sounds like it just isn't detecting the TV. What make/model is the TV? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I have had an old monitor refuse to work on a newly installed graphics card, but worked fine on others, while the graphics card worked fine in another PC and with other monitors. I was flabbergasted, ready to RMA the card, until I powered the monitor off and back on again (maybe even unplugged it). It worked fine after that. :confused:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Can you even see the post screen on the 5450?

From what you've described..
Put in 4830 = Works (but may be on its way out)
Put in 5450 = no work
I'd return the 5450

I'd go with an Nvida card if I were running on Ubuntu.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
When I have the 5450 plugged in to living room tv I do not get any post screen at all, just black. The motherboard still gives me the 1 beep post as it normally does and sounds like its booting up, I just get no display. I'll have to take the tv off the wall to get the specific model number, but its an insignia 46in. When I get home ill try and unplug the tv completely and see if that does anything. I have not installed any video drivers at all just the ones that xbmcbuntu puts on there when it installs. That's the same thing I did when I had the 4830 and never had any issues

Last edited:

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
When I have the 5450 plugged in to living room tv I do not get any post screen at all, just black. The motherboard still gives me the 1 beep post as it normally does and sounds like its booting up, I just get no display. I'll have to take the tv off the wall to get the specific model number, but its an insignia 46in. When I get home ill try and unplug the tv completely and see if that does anything. I have not installed any video drivers at all just the ones that xbmcbuntu puts on there when it installs. That's the same thing I did when I had the 4830 and never had any issues

What motherboard is it? Does it have onboard video?
Make sure its set to display PCIe in bios. (obviously check this from a working monitor\TV)

If the bios is set properly, then using a standard VGA cable between the VGA (no adapter for test purposes) on the card and VGA on the Insignia should at least show the post screen.

You've already tested the HDMI and DVI connections and I trust you have selected the source properly on the TV.

I have an old Saphire HD4830. Fan was getting a little loud so I was tempted to go pick up a passive card for use in a VM\test box I have.
Researching the cards I did see a lot of bad reviews on HD5450 cards on newegg.
Fortunately for me I had an old X800XL with VF700 cooler on it so I just used that instead.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
Well, after more playing around with it yesterday I was still unable to get any picture on the living room tv. Luckily, Microcenter is close, so i went back and exchanged it for a 6450. Worked fine right out of the box. Very frustrating, but at least all is well now. Thanks for the input guys.