Help please - 2nd burned video card same system

EvilEgg

Apr 12, 2010
My buddy has a Gateway DX430S.

About 6 month ago his monitor and/ or system started turning of randomly. I took a look at it and could see that the fan on the video card burned off and fell off.

I replaced the burned ATI with a Nvidia, i think it was a 7600. Now that card has the same problem that the fan does not work, the card overheats and shuts down.

The system isn't used for gaming, only pictures, photos, e-mail and stuff like that.

Any idea what causing the cards to burn out? Is it the motherboard or the powersupply?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is it the motherboard or the powersupply?

That's a definite maybe. If it's the power supply, other components would likely have had problems, as well. A volt meter will tell you. Just power it up, and measure the voltages to ground on one of the four pin Molex power connectors. If they're not close to 5 and 12 volts, you've got a bad supply.

It's less likely that the motherboard is supplying power to the vid card, especially the fan, through an onboard regulator, but if that component failed, it could cause problems.

It's also possible that your friend just got two cards with defective fans. If he noticed that the fan was stalled, he should have shut the machine down and replaced the fan, then. If he didn't see it until it was too late, he's just unlucky.

Last edited:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Hello EvilEgg, and welcome to Anandtech Forums.

When you checked out the systems, were the fans dirty? I say this because I've seen fans clogged with dirt after a half year, and fans clogged with smoke residue (chain smoker) after only two weeks! Clogged fans = overheating = fans dying and falling off.