Help picking parts for a non-gaming HTPC needed

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Hello!

I’m planning to build a HTPC for live tv recording, high-quality video and music streaming, watching web-based TV on a 40+ inch TV set, and perhaps to playback blu-ray:s/dvd:s and cd:s. Gaming will not be high priority (although I might, very occasionally, play some older games).

•I haven’t set a budget yet but I’m not interested in spending more than I need.

•The size of the case is an important factor as it has to fit (and be able to breath) inside the living room TV cabinet compartment(s) (500 x 180 x 370 mm/29,6 x 7 x 1,5 inches (W x H x D)). Micro ATX looks like a reasonable compromise.

•I already have one 120GB SSD disk I thought I would use and my media files lies on a separate NAS so I won’t need a large storage disk inside the HTPC.

•I'd like to have an optical DVD/BD combo unit inside the HTPC but if this means further compromising in terms of noise, heat or space I might jump this.

I’ve looked briefly at Intel i3 Haswell cpu:s and AMD A3 Richland apu:s. But I’m not sure which would be best for my needs or even if a cpu further down the price range would do. Any thoughts on this?

What about motherboards? Any certain chipsets or sockets I should focus on?
I want to be able to conveniently control the HTPC with a remote control. I’ve seen that some motherboards can be controlled via Android or iOS units. But I have no such units (I’m WP8.1 kinda guy) and I want a “traditional-style” remote control. What should I think of?

Thanks in advance

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If you can ditch the disk requirement its easy. Get an Intel NUC. Pair it with a stand alone Blu Ray player if you need to, those are so cheap nowadays.

Actually building HTPCs with cases and mobos has gone out of style. Micro ATX is HUGE compared to a NUC. Hell Micro ATX has been unacceptable in the HTPC space since 2012, you missed the entire Mini ITX thing. Just skip to modern day and get a NUC, there is the life Konami code I just gave you.

The best deal I have seen recently is this i5 Haswell one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102055R

That and some RAM and you are set with that SSD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ35GYE/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2

But for sub-$200 you could get something with a celeron that would probably do the job:

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC

In regards to control, if you want to use a traditional control I recommend getting a FLIRC:

http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Dongle-Media-Centre-Raspberry/dp/B00BB0ETW8

What that does is take IR commands from ANY remote (like old ones you have lying around) and turns them into keyboard commands that work in ANY app (like a normal keyboard). It is the best normal remote solution in 2015 IMHO.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
If you can ditch the disk requirement its easy. Get an Intel NUC. Pair it with a stand alone Blu Ray player if you need to, those are so cheap nowadays.

As someone that used a Haswell NUC for months, I would actually recommend not buying one. Intel's NUC has issues with the sound failing to restart after turning the TV/AVR back on. I don't know if they've fixed this recently (as in within the past two months) as I replaced my NUC.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
You had handshake issues with your AVR? That is a problem for sure. I never run into that personally, but maybe that is because I always use Linux.

Sad to hear, otherwise Haswell GPUs are perfect for HTPC use.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm using an IB G1610 CPU in an H61 mITX board for my HTPC, with a Kingston V300 120GB SSD, wired gigabit connection. Probably a good thing I don't watch that much video on my HTPC, given the 29.97 bug with IB.

If I had spare money right now, I would pick up that ASRock (I think) H81 mITX board in the Hot Deals section for $50, and another G3258 CPU. Would make a nice upgrade.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
You had handshake issues with your AVR? That is a problem for sure. I never run into that personally, but maybe that is because I always use Linux.

Yep. Pretty much every time I turned the machine on, there was some random chance that the audio would stop working. I tried turning on settings such as allowing audio when there's no video, but nothing seemed to help. After I built a new HTPC for downstairs, I just moved my i3-3225 machine upstairs, and it has been fine ever since.

I really ought to just sell the NUC. Wait, on second thought, ignore that advice above... want to buy a NUC? ;)

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Hi again, and thanks for all replies! Sorry for the long silence, btw.

A NUC would be interesting but it seems a bit limiting considering any future upgrades and expansions. That’s why I’m looking down the mATX, or possibly MITX, lanes.

I want this thing to stream and playback lossless video and audio without issues. I want to be able to playback digitised analogue videos and 8mm super8 footage stored on my NAS. It should also handle ripped blu ray, dvd’s, interlaced videos, lossless audio without issues.

I’m looking at the Intel core i3 4130T and AMD A6-6400K cpu:s because many recommendations point me towards them.
What I’m concerned about is how well they handle video (and audio) material like the ones I mentioned above, and if the integrated gpu:s might be bottlenecks repectively.

As far as my budget goes, cheaper is better obviously, but playback quality is more important. So if the i3 41340T (or any other cpu) would offer better IQ and playback than A6-6400K that is key.

Cheers!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I’m looking at the Intel core i3 4130T and AMD A6-6400K cpu:s because many recommendations point me towards them.
What I’m concerned about is how well they handle video (and audio) material like the ones I mentioned above, and if the integrated gpu:s might be bottlenecks repectively.

Skip the 'T' Intel chip and just get a plain vanilla i3 or even a Pentium. The T-chip offers no advantages to you in an HTPC installation, unless you can just get it at a better price. Larry's suggestion of a Pentium G3258 is a good example... a modern Intel Pentium is a perfectly capable HTPC CPU, particularly if you are not gaming. I ran my HTPC on a little Sandy Bridge G620 for 2 years before I upgraded to a Sandy i3 (simply because I wanted to transcode, and the Pentium is a poor choice for that) and never wanted for anything more (except for the playback bug, which I fixed with a $20 GPU.)

I would find the case that fits your application first, and then proceed with the parts list. I can't comment on the whole HTPC vs NUC (etc) thing... I'm an HTPC guy. :)

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

Intel GPUs can't fully decode HEVC yet, but besides that in Windows they don't have trouble playing anything.

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Skip the 'T' Intel chip and just get a plain vanilla i3 or even a Pentium. The T-chip offers no advantages to you in an HTPC installation, unless you can just get it at a better price. Larry's suggestion of a Pentium G3258 is a good example... a modern Intel Pentium is a perfectly capable HTPC CPU, particularly if you are not gaming. I ran my HTPC on a little Sandy Bridge G620 for 2 years before I upgraded to a Sandy i3 (simply because I wanted to transcode, and the Pentium is a poor choice for that) and never wanted for anything more (except for the playback bug, which I fixed with a $20 GPU.)

Hi and thanks for replying!

So what you’re saying is that, for instance, the i3 4130 would be a better choice over the i3 4130T for a htpc setup? Common arguments in favour of the “T” version seem to be that it requires less cooling in the end. It differs very little in price between the two versions in this example, though, at least where I am.

I don’t know from a personal standpoint, but I’ve heard the Sandy Bridge cpu:s, or the integrated graphics, has had issues with the 23.976 refresh rates, which sounds like a negative aspect for playback purposes, especially for me since I have videos in various formats and with different origins.

From a pricing perspective the Pentium G3258 looks great and I will definitively put it on my short list, but again I would like to assure myself it’s really up for the task before I commit. As you guys recommend the Pentium G3258 I’m sure it can handle most HTPC related tasks, you are the experts, but what I’d like to know is whether there’s any difference in IQ between a cheaper cpu such as the Pentium and the i3 cpu’s.

I should add that I already have an i7 based notebook that I use for editing, transcoding etc. so I probably won’t be using the HTPC for these kinds of duties.

I would find the case that fits your application first, and then proceed with the parts list. I can't comment on the whole HTPC vs NUC (etc) thing... I'm an HTPC guy. :)

As for the case, the compartment inside the television cabinet I’m using measures 50 x 37 x 18 cm/approx. 19 x 14 x 7 inches (W x D x H), so I’m leaning towards something like the Lian-Li Silverstone Milo ML03.

Thanks

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I don’t know from a personal standpoint, but I’ve heard the Sandy Bridge cpu:s, or the integrated graphics, has had issues with the 23.976 refresh rates,

Yeah that was a terrible bug, it affected both Ivy and Sandy GPUs. It was fixed with Haswell though.

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Yeah that was a terrible bug, it affected both Ivy and Sandy GPUs. It was fixed with Haswell though.

It's late and my brain is slow so this might be a silly question but would the Pentium series cpu:s (G3258 e.g.) handle this as good as the other Haswell cpu:s or is the integrated gpu be a bottleneck?

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Unless you plan to use Mad VR to do a ton of post-processing the Pentium should be as good as the most powerful CPU Intel sells for video playback. If you are using MadVR I don't think any integrated GPU is good enough though, so I see no advantage over the Pentium.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
So what you’re saying is that, for instance, the i3 4130 would be a better choice over the i3 4130T for a htpc setup? Common arguments in favour of the “T” version seem to be that it requires less cooling in the end.

HTPC streaming demands very little from a CPU... far less than the rated TDP... so heat won't be an issue in any event. You could put an i7 in there and it would still only use 'X' amount of watts and generate very little heat. Both my G620 and my i3 use a stock Intel heat sink and do fine... I never hear it.

Even the old HD2000 integrated graphics worked well for HTPC use... minus the 29.97 bug; anything you get with Haswell or newer is even better and more capable.

The Milo 03 (and new version, the ML04) seem like decent HTPC cases. Find a H81 or B85 mobo you like, that has the features you want (HDMI out, for example) and make sure it has an USB 3.0 header on the board for the USB3 ports on the front of the case, if you plan to use them! (For example, the Gigabyte H81M-H board does not, otherwise it's a fine board.) Pick a CPU, the G3258 is the darling of the Pentium users but because I don't think you are planning to OC it, it really holds no benefit beyond fitting in your budget, and I won't argue with you if you insist on an i3... you'll pay roughly 50% more, but you will have plenty of CPU horsepower without a doubt (you say gaming will not be a priority ...but it's possible.) Add 2x 2GB RAM, a ~400w PSU, a DVD or BD player, your SSD... and you are ready.

As far as OS, I recommend W7 for HTPCs because it comes with the very capable Windows Media Center. If you plan to use something else (Kodi, for example) you can go with W8.1, etc.

BjornB

Apr 8, 2015
Hi and thanks for replying!

The Milo 03 (and new version, the ML04) seem like decent HTPC cases. Find a H81 or B85 mobo you like, that has the features you want (HDMI out, for example) and make sure it has an USB 3.0 header on the board for the USB3 ports on the front of the case, if you plan to use them! (For example, the Gigabyte H81M-H board does not, otherwise it's a fine board.)

You mention H81 and B85 boards, but I’ve also looked at several Z87, H87, Z97 and H97 boards as some of them have great connectivity in terms of PCIE slots (I want to be able to add a tv tuner card and perhaps 1 or 2 more cards. Would pairing the G3258 with any of these chipsets present any technical issues?

Pick a CPU, the G3258 is the darling of the Pentium users but because I don't think you are planning to OC it, it really holds no benefit beyond fitting in your budget, and I won't argue with you if you insist on an i3... you'll pay roughly 50% more, but you will have plenty of CPU horsepower without a doubt (you say gaming will not be a priority ...but it's possible.)

The G3258 is still interesting much because of its low price tag, but I’m open to any low to mid-priced cpu which suits my needs.

I’m also interested about audio quality since I want to be able to stream lossless music from my media server, and I don't want this machine to be a weak link. Anyway, some mobos are equipped with an optical or coaxial spdif out, some are prepared with a spdif header on-board while a few seems to lack both. Would a board that lacks a spdif header prevent me from using spdif if I ever should buy a PCI/PCIE based sound card with spdif? (dumb question perhaps, but since I’m not 100% certain it’s better to ask).

Thanks

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
You mention H81 and B85 boards, but I’ve also looked at several Z87, H87, Z97 and H97 boards as some of them have great connectivity in terms of PCIE slots (I want to be able to add a tv tuner card and perhaps 1 or 2 more cards. Would pairing the G3258 with any of these chipsets present any technical issues?

The G3258 is still interesting much because of its low price tag, but I’m open to any low to mid-priced cpu which suits my needs.

I’m also interested about audio quality since I want to be able to stream lossless music from my media server, and I don't want this machine to be a weak link. Anyway, some mobos are equipped with an optical or coaxial spdif out, some are prepared with a spdif header on-board while a few seems to lack both. Would a board that lacks a spdif header prevent me from using spdif if I ever should buy a PCI/PCIE based sound card with spdif? (dumb question perhaps, but since I’m not 100% certain it’s better to ask).

Thanks

H81 or B85 boards are basic, no-frills mobos... typically ideal for something like an HTPC because it wouldn't require the OC capability you pay for on a Z-chipset. I will agree that the feature set on the H97 and Z-boards is better, including better PCIe slots, better sound chips, etc. You will be hamstrung with the MILO case... it is sized for the mATX mobo, which will limit the number of expansion slots you can get on any board. You need to think about that before you settle on an mATX case, or a specific mATX board. Look for a board with the Realtek ALC1150 audio chipset... that seems to be the best chip available on a mainstream board at the moment, but the audiophiles may disagree that any onboard chip is a step down, particularly for lossless. If you are planning on using SPDIF or optical, I would get a board that has it built in.

The G3258 should be able to handle it. :thumbsup: