Help picking a good cheap Verizon phone

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
I have had a Moto Z and a Moto Z Play become useless due to battery issues. The Z only lasted around 18 months. The Z Play is just 26 months. Now it shuts off at 75% battery left. I have replaced my Z with a OnePlus 6T. But, my son doesn't need a high end phone. And, now that his Z Play is dead I am looking for a good cheap replacement. Was looking for non Moto after reading about all the battery issues online and having them myself. But, my options seem to be G6 for $72 or Z3 for $240 - $100 trade in for his Z Play for a total of $140. Are there any new non Moto phones with around those specs and prices that work on Verizon.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Reason's for not an iPhone. Cost, already own some Android apps, and I am anti-Apple.

Reactions: Oyeve

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Just noticed the Moto G7 Power is $150 at BestBuy also. But, still a Moto phone. Seems Moto is the only one making cheaper phones for Verizon.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
maybe you can get him a pixel 3 ? or even a pixel 2 or even the first gen pixel.

You can get a Pixel XL 128gb for about 175-250 depending on condition. I'm personally running around with one and speed is fanastic even though it's several years old device (i purchased a new one recently). You get unlimited lifetime original photos/video upload to google photos.

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
My issue with a used phone is battery life. After being hit with battery issues in two other phones I really would like a new battery. Wish they would go back to easily user replaceable batteries.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
New Pixel XL's do look good spec wise to what I have have been looking at for about $50'ish more. Looks like Google has been keeping the software updated also. Is there an EOL for updates for it?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
it's slated to get the upcoming update. the one after no idea.
It's not like you're getting updates from Lenovo or whoever anyhow.

Mar 15, 2003
what are you doing to all your phones? your moto breakdowns are atypical, and i've owned a number of motos. shit, my droid still works. I know lenovo took over and things change, but the g6 and other motos are beloved phones for the no mess functionality. If you were whining about LG I'd agree with your, their phones slow to a crawl and have random oddities as t they age. a used iphone's a solid bet and battery swaps are cheap, "not liking apple" all you want like a fangirl but your kid will love even a 6s or 7. moto g7 power is also solid, but again you have brand preferences based on your personal biases AND a beer budget. you don't have a lot of options. if you left verizon for a prepaid provider (or mint) you can get any number of used unlocked gsm phones. I like xiaomi's android one phones as being dirt cheap and solid. nokia's are pretty solid too, but i haven't used one and i hear users complaining of choppiness. i always buy refurbs and have little to complain about when it comes to batteries, but if battery life is a primary concern spend the bucks for a new phone or get a g7 power .

CU

Platinum Member
Aug 14, 2000
Actually for the Moto Z phones at least the 1st gen ones it seems to be pretty common. The Lenovo forums are full of people with the battery issues. Some suspect it is a software issue as new batteries have been reported to only last about a month or so before they also die. The Verizon store I visited also said they were aware of the issue. However, Lenovo won't acknowledge it.

The not liking apple thing comes from professional experience with them in supporting their desktops and their rack mount servers they had years ago. Dell always treated us much better than Apple did when we had a hardware issue. So, it is not really a "fangirl" thing. Not to mention he wouldn't like having to re-buy his apps on iOS. We have already bought into the android ecosystem.

I agree there don't seem to be a lot of cheaper options. It seems Moto has that market to itself on Verizon. I have switched form Verizon twice and always game back due to service. Not for price though as Verizon isn't cheap. But, the other services (AT&T, Straight Talk) I have tried didn't work as good.

I will show him the Pixel XL, Moto G6, G7 Power, and the Z3 and see what he thinks. I am leaning toward the G7 Power. Being new it should get updates for 2-3 years and it is focused on battery life which is what he needs as he is always on it, like most kids. And, except for the Moto Z's Moto has always made a good phone.