Help or advice on XFX7600gs please

orbiter

Oct 25, 2006
Hi All,

A question for you..Now! Games run great on this pc however in Windows when I close IE screens or run media player small screen I notice a slow down in video visualisations. Full screen its fine but small screen seems to be in slow motion.
I've noticed in my graphics card settings that the 2d core clock frequency is showing ZERO MHz whilst the memory shows 650MHz in 2d and 3d. Is it normal for a 2d setting to show ZERO MHz?

I ask because I've noticed a decrease in performance after updating my graphics from a geforce 6200 to the XFX 7600gs when doing the following....Playing Yahoo pool, Media player 10 visualisations (small screen) Windows screens close slower (almost scroll down) instead of just disappearing.
Fancy features in Windows are turned off. I also noticed a decrease in performance when the XFX 7600 was plugged into a similar system with a 2.4GHz P4. The only thing I havn't changed in both sytems is the is the Eagle 400W PSU however using the PSU calculator this PSU should be ok.

The system shows no errors using DualPrime and scores using AquaMark 3 = 59000 and 3DMark06 = 2500+

The problem still exists when GPU frequencies are set to standard and BIOS is mostly AUTO apart from the obvious like AGP 8x etc...

As there are only two Nvidia drivers at present that work with this card 91.47 and 93.71 I wonder if its too early to rule out an updated driver?

Any ideas or could this be related to a faulty XFX 7600gs graphics card?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
did you clean your system of any old video drivers (using driver cleaner) before installing the new ones?

orbiter

Oct 25, 2006
I sure did twista in fact I've even re-installed windows to see if that made any difference

Kango2020

Aug 6, 2006
Your use of the term "small screen" is a little unclear. I'm going to assume you mean you are playing a game in a window as opposed to full screen.

The problem you are describing has to do with other applications that are running and using system Alpha mode. System Alpha blending allows windows to round its corners or make the window or objects in the window semi-transparent. If one or more applications are trying to use Alpha blending while you are trying to run a game in a window, they interfere with each other and the game will slow to a crawl.

Incidently, this is the reason for needing DX10 in Vista. This problem does not exist in Vista because DX10 integration prevents applications from fighting each other for screen usage when Alpha blending is in effect in any program.

To prevent this, close (or minimize) other applications that are using Alpha blending. Your game should start running at normal (or expected) speeds.

I hope I understood your question. In any case, best of luck!

orbiter

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Kango2020,

I must have explained it badly, sorry. The problem i was describing with media player 10 (small screen) exists even when MP10 is playing a music track and is the only program running. e.g. when I have the visualisations in the smaller screen on the left and my music tracks on the right, the visualisations play in slow motion, however full screen they play fine. I also noticed tonight that when i open a smaller internet explorer window and place it over the slow playing visualisation screen (partly covering it) the parts of the visualisation i can see look normal speed again.

I'm still wondering why a system like this (first posting) is getting low video performance figures at PC Pitstop. I have had messages like "Unusually low video performance" or "Serious hardware issue"

Any more ideas please