help on how data is interpreted by the computer

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Using my limited computer knowledge I started thinking about how data from peripheral devices such as my mouse was turned into meaningful information. I came up with this path; however, I am unsure if it is correct, so please check me.

Data Side
1.Input from mouse converts physical movement to binary which are represented as bytes
2.Input data goes through the USB port to the Mobo
3.Once in the Mobo the system bus pushes the data directly to the CPU
4. At the CPU the data enters through the bus interface unit and inter the Registers for storage.
5. the Data then enters the ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) and CU (Control Unit) for interpretation.

Instruction Side
1. Instructions are sent from the Hard drive to the RAM
2. Then from RAM to CPU
3. Once at the CPU it enters through the Bus interface unit
4. then into the cache
5. then into the prefetch unit
6. then into the decoder unit
7. then into the ALU and CU

Once these two (the instructions and data) meet the at the ALU and CU, both make sense of it and turn it into useful information.

I'm not sure if data on step 3 goes directly to the CPU, it might go through the ram first... I don't know.

Am I wrong? I've been thinking for awhile how the computer does it and this is the best I've come up with.

Thanks for your time,

Rig

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: FoBoT
3 eggs instead of 2 will make it lighter/fluffier

But what will I do with the extra? I only want a 2 egg omelet.

Some USB info

Remember Interrupts are your friend.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You are generally correct. Here's a link that will explain everything, though:

Principles of Computer Architecture

Oh, one other thing. The CPU usually only reads data from its registers, never from RAM. Data from RAM is loaded into registers at which point the CPU can access that information. That's the major standout error I saw in what you wrote.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I like green peppers and mushrooms in mine.

What are you guys talking about? Internal Joke? This one is going over my head....

KEV1N

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2000
Hmm, is this your homework? I haven't ever heard anybody casually talk about the CPU in terms of an ALU and CU! But you might want to mention the trigonometry involved in calculating the direction/distance of the movement. Of course the raw data would have to be processed by a driver of some sort, which adds more steps to your data path... I don't know if most CPUs have instruction sets for processing mouse movement.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: RIGorous1

What are you guys talking about? Internal Joke? This one is going over my head....

It's OT and people were talking omeletes :)

anyways what kind of CPU are we talking we can probably direct you to real specifics. I have a book with this in it somewhere here (need to check the dusty ones ;) )

yllus may have a good link for you above.

Å

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Originally posted by: KEV1N
Hmm, is this your homework? I haven't ever heard anybody casually talk about the CPU in terms of an ALU and CU! But you might want to mention the trigonometry involved in calculating the direction/distance of the movement. Of course the raw data would have to be processed by a driver of some sort, which adds more steps to your data path... I don't know if most CPUs have instruction sets for processing mouse movement.

Nope, not my homework. I've taken a few CS/IS courses and I seriously never made sense of it all. I never understood the exact path it followed. I just memorized groups of stuff, such as definitions, but didn't bother to see the big picture, til now.

you're right about a driver probably a northbridge or southbridge controlling the data traffic, but I wanted to simplify on a basic level.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: yllus
You are generally correct. Here's a link that will explain everything, though:

Principles of Computer Architecture

Oh, one other thing. The CPU usually only reads data from its registers, never from RAM. Data from RAM is loaded into registers at which point the CPU can access that information. That's the major standout error I saw in what you wrote.

It depends on the ISA of the CPU. A RISC ISA will only read data from memory to a register but other ISA, CISC, can read and use the data with out having to use a register. Most of the time only one operand can be read from memory, but some systems like the older vax's can use the memory for 2 or 3 operands.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Originally posted by: RIGorous1

It's OT and people were talking omeletes :)

anyways what kind of CPU are we talking we can probably direct you to real specifics. I have a book with this in it somewhere here (need to check the dusty ones ;) )

yllus may have a good link for you above.

Å

you are right... wow yllus that link was awesome... too much if you ask me, but thorough none the less.