Help on E6420 Please! :)

DJ Abi

Jun 18, 2007
Hey everyone. I'm kinda new here and i've been wanting to overclock my E6420 for quite some time now but ih avent gotten the guts to change anything to ruin my stuff. Can someone please help me on overclocking it? Thank You Very Much! Here are my Stuff

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe
ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i
Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800
XFX 7600 GT Fatal1ty Pro
Raidmax Saggitta Gaming Tower (http://www.raidmax.com/specs/sagitta.htm)

I have it overclocked to 2.23 from 2.13 over the bios AI Overclock. But I at least want to get it to 2.4-2.8 with stock cooling. Thanks Again for helping me!

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2057083&enterthread=y

written with a newby in mind, you can skip alot of things, coz you got your build together allready. As far as I'm concerned the p5n-e sli mobo does pretty well in overclocking, your ram is up to the task as well, so it should be a no brainer. In fact, I bet you could go into your bios, set the overclocking to manual, which you should be able to do under advanced, jumper free configuration. Then push up the fsb too 350, which means your cpu will run at 2800mhz. Save and exit, try booting, if it does boot, you have to stresstest it, and watch your temperatures as explained in the thread I posted here as well. If that all works within save limits, you got yourself an overclock, within a few minutes.

DJ Abi

Jun 18, 2007
aight well i finally got my E6420 to 2.6 Ghz. Its on stock cooling with idle temp of about 45C. heres the problem... when i run orthos or such it shows me the temp at about 70-80C. allitle too hot for me... my vcore is set at 1.264 and i have bus speed at 325, and rated fsb at 1300. anyway to keep it cooler? just by stock cooling?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DJ Abi
aight well i finally got my E6420 to 2.6 Ghz. Its on stock cooling with idle temp of about 45C. heres the problem... when i run orthos or such it shows me the temp at about 70-80C. allitle too hot for me... my vcore is set at 1.264 and i have bus speed at 325, and rated fsb at 1300. anyway to keep it cooler? just by stock cooling?

80C is just too high. 45C idle seems high too. I would re-check your heatsink connection, and/or re-apply paste (AS5 preferred).

I recently installed an E4400, running at 2.8Ghz @ 1.325v (default) / 1.25v (reported) vcore, and I'm getting temps of 69C in Orthos running small FFTs, with Intel stock cooling and paste.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
dj, how warm is it in your computer room? did you just use the crap that they had on the stock hsf or did you use as5?

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
Originally posted by: DJ Abi

80C is definitely to hot. It sounds like you have a mounting problem with the stock cooler. If you can get some sort of Aftermarket cooler, it will help immensely.

What are your temps running Orthos at stock speeds? That would tell us if you have a problem with heat because of another factor.

DJ Abi

Jun 18, 2007
yea so i lowered my rated fsb to get me 2.4 ghz.. but i found out the temp stayed the same. :(
and yes i used AS5 and read the directions on their website exactly as they told me to put it on the proccessor. idk wat is wrong wit it.. i mean my room is not hot is like 75F. and i havent tried my cpu temp on stock speed. ill try that in a bit.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
45C idle is perfectly normal. 80C is a bit on the high side for load though.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Not wanting to shoot down the other entries in the marketplace for heatpipe coolers, I'll still say that it's well-proven now that the ThermalRight Ultra-120 Extreme is the best on the market -- for its cooling prowess.

But there's still the issue with the convex heatsink bottom. Because of all the flap over that drawback, my friend in New Mexico notified me this morning that the price has dropped on that model, as only exemplified by this offering from "Tank Guys:"

$49 and change plus shipping/handling/tax

At 75+F room-ambient (or even pushing 80F), my OC'd E6600 idles at between 29C and 33C. I'm not yet using the "Extreme U-120," but the original Ultra-120 cooler on this build while I construct the final resting-place case-mod for it (so I can make the cooler-swap when I move the components to the new case). I didn't lap the heatsink, either.

I checked the TDP specs for the E6420 at Intel.com, and it's still 65W for that model. What others say about "normal" idle and load temperatures with the stock heatsink and fan, I could not respond to. I never even bother with the stock fan and cooler.

[I DO have some plans to use their fan in a cooling mod, even so, but I wouldn't bother with the stock cooling solution if I were even "casually" over-clocking my system.]

I've twisted up the settings on my E6600 again today, and the load temp is barely over 50C -- with the original Ultra 120, an unlapped heatsink base, and the limited and poor fan-deployment in my cyber-junk test-case.

DJ Abi

Jun 18, 2007
so i went to stock speed on everything. voltage as well and i found i had the same temp. alil less bout 3C less. and i knew this wasnt ok. so wat i did i took apart all my pc and cleaned out the processor heatsink and processor with alcohol. and i applied AS5 to it again making sure everything went in correctly. a booted up my pc and set rated fsb to 1200 and vcore to 1.256. which gives me 2.4 ghz. i bootd up my pc and saw that my temp was now 30-35 C idle! so that was good news. i used orthos for about a min and my temp only went up to 47C. better than last time that it went to 70-80C. so come to find out i guess either the processor was dirty and heatsink or that i didnt put it as well. so right now im runnin 2.4 ghz on stock cooling at 30-35C idle. ill try orthos in a bit to see wat max temp i get. hopefully it doesnt go high enough to where i could set my fsb to 1400 giving me 2.8 ghz!