Help on a laptop purchase (CAD$)

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
This is the breakdown of what I need...
  • Something for perfectly fluid productivity and online applications (browsing, tools that are online only)
  • The ability when necessary to do basic, non effects based but processor intensive image and video editing (meaning I don't want rendering to take 4 hours but I'm not doing CGI either)
  • Ports, ports, ports: HDMI, USB3.0, USB-C
  • BD-R drive (I understand the ship has sailed on this so it's not a priority)
  • 16GB RAM, upgradable when necessary
  • Touch screen would be nice, but I don't have the need for a laptop to be a tablet (in addition to which Windows as a tablet isn't very useful, I've tried).
  • I think I'd struggle with less than 15".
  • performance > battery > build quality > form factor
  • good travel on the keyboard
  • I'd love to pay 800-950 but I will look at 1000 or more if it's the perfect fit
Is there a brand or two that build this kind of machine? And what kind of price should this sort of system average out at, give or take $200?
Thank you for any help!!

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Can't get those laptops here.
For these two Lenovos, is the Ryzen option better on the Gaming 3 vs the Intel 3i? The price is marginal, both seem to be dual channel RAM, is there an X factor I'm missing between the two?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I also don't know Gigabyte's laptop quality/reliability.

But this model got good reviews at US Amazon too.

The bad part is it could be noisy. But gaming laptop is always noisy.

Reviews

comparison, don't know if they are the exact model. You have to check yourself.

The Lenovo laptops you were looking at both have 8GB memory only, however. You really don't want to have 8GB machines these days.

Last edited: