help-oc gone wild!!

ejk01

Jan 6, 2009
help-oc gone wild!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my son decided to try overclocking after reading an article on wikepedia...not good.

he changed things in bios and now the computer will not boot up...and we cannot even get into bios. the computer turns on for a few seconds...then turns off and does this over and over. never even gets to bios post screens.

gigabyte ga-ep45 mb.

i know nothing about oc but figure my son has some really bad settings in bios...and prevents boot up or has damaged something.

will call gigabyte tech support tomorrow a.m. but thought someone here might have some advice on things to try to get computer running.

thanks

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Take the battery out of the board and it should reset itself. Some boards have a cmos reset jumper. Look in your manual to find out where it is and how to clear your cmos. Should find the manual on the motherboards web site if you dont have the actual manual handy.

This might help there should be more letters or numbers in the name

Gigabyte ga-ep45 xxxx

and look here

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Sea...EP45&SearchType=Manual

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: happy medium
Take the battery out of the board and it should reset itself. Some boards have a cmos reset jumper. Look in your manual to find out where it is and how to clear your cmos. Should find the manual on the motherboards web site if you dont have the actual manual handy.

This might help there should be more letters or numbers in the name

Gigabyte ga-ep45 xxxx

and look here

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Sea...EP45&SearchType=Manual

Dont forget to unplug your system if you take out the battery.!!

Apr 20, 2008
Exactly what the others mentioned.

Also, I have the same problem when i have a power hungry USB device in when i overclock. Just constant boot cycles.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ejk01
help-oc gone wild!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my young son decided to try overclocking after reading an article on wikepedia...not good.

he changed things in bios and now the computer will not boot up...and we cannot even get into bios. the computer turns on for a few seconds...then turns off and does this over and over. never even gets to bios post screens.

gigabyte ga-ep45 mb.

i know nothing about oc but figure my son has some really bad settings in bios...and prevents boot up or has damaged something.

will call gigabyte tech support tomorrow a.m. but thought someone here might have some advice on things to try to get computer running.

thanks

Hey, you even changed your avatar to the chinese guy. Cool.

ejk01

Jan 6, 2009
it works again!!

thank you all very much for being so helpful...if i would have read the manual more carefully i would have seen the procedure.

system components are -

gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r mb
intel e8400 processor w/ freezer pro 7 cooler
evga gtx260 video card
corsair dominator pc2 8500 memory 4x1GB
enermax liberty 620w ps
antec 900 case
windows xp os (waiting for 64bit windows7)

this is my sons computer and he wants to try overclocking. i think i will start reading up here have encouraged him to join these forums to get help as he tries things.

thanks again

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You can also jump the CMOS clear pins as well, look on the manual, and then use a screwdriver to bridge the two pins. Its easier and faster than taking out the battery.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
did not real all replys

Bottom line if you dont even know how to reset the Bios you should not be Overclocking, do some research before you damage something.

Beanie46

Feb 16, 2009
Originally posted by: Rifterut
did not real all replys

Bottom line if you dont even know how to reset the Bios you should not be Overclocking, do some research before you damage something.

You should have, because then your reply wouldn't have sounded like it was coming from an arrogant, know-it-all teenager.