System specs:

CPU : Intel i7 3770 (Ivy)
GPU : ASUS GeForce 9500GT
PSU : Antec EarthWatts Green 430W
RAM : 8GB (2x4GB)
Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-V LK
Nvidia Drivers: 310.70

Problem:

When I have 310.70 installed, every time I right click on the desktop these windows appear ("NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component has stopped working" and "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service has stopped working").

nvidiadriverhelperservi.png

nvidiauserexperiencedri.png

I have already uninstalled, then re-installed (clean install) the latest driver. When I try to download the latest driver, it says it failed

nvidiainstallerfailed.png

I have tried using older drivers (306.23, 306.97) - same problems. When I uninstall all drivers, the error messages no longer appear when I right click the desktop.

When playing League of Legends, game seems to run fine except at the end of the game when the nexus explodes - the game freezes for a couple minutes before the animation completes and then continues to the game stats.

I recently upgraded most of my build (motherboard, cpu, ram, harddrives). My previous build ran Vista and Win7 with no problems. New build started with Win8.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Driver sweeper with safe mode might be able to clear the old parts of the driver away and allow you to get the drivers installed.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
he can also try "clean install" from within the driver installer. Just choose custom or advanced setup and the option will be in there

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions :)

I actually already did the "clean install" with the driver installer before I posted this issue, but that did not fix the problem. I will try Driver Sweeper. Thanks!

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
That's what I'm afraid of, but I just spent quite a bit on my upgrade so I'm trying to see if it's the actual hardware or just a driver issue (hopefully the later) ;)

It just better not bite the dust before massive lan next weekend or this girl will not be a happy camper! lol

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I'm sure you can find a smokin deal in the FS/FT section here. Just mention you are a girl gamer and I bet somebody will send you a card in exchange for pics. =P

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
That might work for someone else, but I don't roll that way - This gamer girl is quite happy with her gamer man :p

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I would also suspect 9500 GT, might be time for an upgrade anyways. You could use great video card to go with that nice ivy bridge i7!

Only thought is don't go overboard with a 430W, though that should be sufficient for a good upgrade nonetheless. Especially since the antec EW series are pretty good to my experience. What resolution and games do you play?

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
So I have not given up on my graphics card - just seemed more like a driver or software issue since I was able to play through games fine and I wasn't seeing any other signs of a hardware failure. So here's what I ended up doing - would love some input :)

So I ended up using Driver Fusion (driver sweeper) to get rid of the old drivers - wouldn't let me delete one of the files with the free version so I ended up booting in safe mode to try to delete it manually (still was not allowed to delete that one file). Once I deleted all the drivers I possibly could, I did a clean install. I was still getting the error with the right click causing a long spinner time and then resulting in the previously mentioned NVIDIA error messages.

My husband suggested exiting ZoneAlarm. Once I exited ZoneAlarm, I restarted and the problem seemed to go away!! Then I played a few games of League of Legends (research... ya know? ;)) and I no longer had the games freeze up at the end, and the right click desktop no longer causes the NVIDIA error messages!! YAY! :)

I was also having an issue with logging into LOL (before uninstalling ZoneAlarm). It seemed to take an unusually long time to get to the login screen from the time I opened it (especially since I have it on my SSD). And then once I got to the login screen, when I put in my username/password, the spinner would spin for about 45-60 seconds before coming up with an error message that said something like "Login Error: Server is currently busy". But my husband was able to get logged in right away when we tried logging in around the same time, so I know it wasn't actually an issue with their server being busy. And every time this would happen, I could enter in my username/password again and it would let me in. However, if I closed LOL and tried to login, it would give me the error message. This was consistent - first try result in "server currently busy" error, second try worked every time. I tried to sync my clock to make sure that wasn't an issue and that didn't fix the issue. NOW that I uninstalled ZoneAlarm I can open LOL quickly, no minute-long spinner (ugh!), and I can login immediately with no "server busy" messages.

I would like to use Zone Alarm if possible.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is all about or suggestions?

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
It's hard to tell.

Issues exact like yours are known to be caused by dying gfx card, but it can also be due to system software miss-configuration.

Probably clean Windows install should be tried at this point.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Its probably the firewall in zone alarm being set overly aggressive. Windows has its own that applications can set exceptions to on install so I would say disable zonealarm's firewall, enable(reenable?) The windows one and these problems should stop

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
Well - looks like I fixed my problem! YAY! It wasn't my graphics card dying on me. Apparently since I installed ZoneAlarm or any other firewall or antivirus, there was a compatibility issue with Windows 8. So if you have Windows 8 and you are having the same issues, go ahead and try to uninstall all your third party firewall and antivirus software and just use the Windows Security. That should be good for now and you can download third party firewall/antivirus once they become Windows 8 compatible if you feel more comfortable using third party security software.

Hope that helps! Now my computer is running perfectly fine and my SSD can really show off now :)

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Well - looks like I fixed my problem! YAY! It wasn't my graphics card dying on me. Apparently since I installed ZoneAlarm or any other firewall or antivirus, there was a compatibility issue with Windows 8. So if you have Windows 8 and you are having the same issues, go ahead and try to uninstall all your third party firewall and antivirus software and just use the Windows Security. That should be good for now and you can download third party firewall/antivirus once they become Windows 8 compatible if you feel more comfortable using third party security software.

Hope that helps! Now my computer is running perfectly fine and my SSD can really show off now :)

An SSD too??? You're doing your machine a great disservice... at least get a previous series 560 or 6850! You don't have to turn ANY settings down on that 9500gt? I'm skeptical.

solarcloud7

Jul 24, 2013
Hey Shell713,

Thank's for taking the time to post your solution. Your husband had a good idea with uninstalling Zone Alarm. When i first read it, i said to myself, "Why zone alarm... why would a firewall ruin a graphic driver install..." So after remembering I also was using zone alarm, I tested the solution by COMPLETELY uninstalled it. IT WORKED!!!!! Thanks again for returning and posting what worked for you! Happy gaming!

Shell713

Jan 3, 2013
@ Solarcloud7 - So glad this solution was helpful for you as well! I know I was pretty frustrated for a long time! As a quick update, my computer has still been running problem-free since I uninstalled ZoneAlarm for the issues I was having about 7 months ago! Glad this post was helpful to you!