Help, No HDMI Sound

brasp

Oct 5, 2012
So I just built my computer tonight, everything seems to have started up pretty well except I cant get any sound out of the HDMI. I have an Asus F2A55-M LE motherboard that has the Realtek ALC887 audio chipset and am running Windows 7 64 bit. Ive downloaded the most up to date drivers from the Asus site, but when I go into sound devices windows says HDMI not plugged in, and the only realtek drivers there are for the optical audio. Any ideas what I am missing?​

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Probably a stupid question but, is the device on the other HDMI end (TV or HT receiver) switched on?

brasp

Oct 5, 2012
Yes the TV is switched on and I can see the video just fine, it is just the audio that doesn't seem to work

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Check if drivers from AMD are more recent... generally it is better to get them from the source than mobo maker. Aannd it's not uncommon for such issues upon release of new hardware and thus especially critical to use the latest software.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Unlikely a conflict but if not needed then sure uninstall them for simplicity. However it is possible that the Realtek hardware device in BIOS may still need to be enabled -that is the case with at least some Intel (i.e. if Azalia is disabled then Intel HD Audio is unavailable).

brasp

Oct 5, 2012
So I have made some (maybe) progress. There was a BIOS setting where I could switch digital audio between SPDIF and HDMI. It was defaulted to SPDIF, so I switched that. Now when I started the computer, I at least get a realtek HDMI driver.. but still no sound. Not only that but it says max speakers (2) when both the motherboard sound and my receiver should be able to handle 8 (7.1). I also tried uninstalling the realtek drivers, but still no sound.

Ive also tried switching it from receiver to TV, no sound either place.

ecosmartpc

Aug 15, 2012
www.ecosmartpc.com
Make sure the HDMI Audio is the default playback device

1. Open Sound by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type sound, and then click Sound.
  2. Click the Playback tab and look for an HDMI device; this will appear as a speaker icon and will be labeled Speaker, followed by the name of the device.
  3. If you have an HDMI device, click the device, click Set Default, and then click OK.
    Changing the audio device might require you to restart your computer.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Ah so, AMD has Realtek HDMI for integrated GPU as well?

Any issues shown in Device Manager? Maybe there is some missing component similar to Intel MEI when they first introduced integrated GPU/HDMI?

Have you checked Asus (or even other major mobo) forum for user experiences with these new boards?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
For HDMI you should get the audio and video from the same place. Otherwise you would need to configure two monitors. now if you had two monitors configured you could make the same video and audio output thru both devices if there were 2 monitors. Then in Win7 you have to change a setting to output the Sound through HDMI. It is not turned on by default. I think normally you right click on the speaker and it is the last option in the list that tells where to output the sound with multiple checkmarks.

I have an intel motherboard with a Q68 chipset and I use the video from the CPU to output to the TV with an i-5 2500k processor. I was really annoyed when I plugged in the HDMI and got no sound it took me like hours and hours to get the sound to work. I do not have a video card on my computer.

Last edited: