Help new to building PC's, I get nothing on bootup

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
Okay im brand new to building PC's in regular ATX cases, the only ones Ive done have been shuttle barebones systems that arae almost straight forward... Well I started with this

This is what I got

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/view...=19-116-171&DEPA=1

MSI PT880 Neo-FSR Socket 478 Mainboard
http://shop4.outpost.com/produ...sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/app/view...=20-145-449&DEPA=1

RAIDMAX Silver 10-bay Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "Scorpio 868" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=11-156-139&depa=1

SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model SP1614C, OEM Drive Only
http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=22-152-015&depa=1

CENDYNE 48x12x48 CD-RW

Got it all from frys for a nice price compared to newegg.. now the problem is.. this one refused to boot and show anything on my screen and I had a Geforce2 in there to test out the video, the Heat sink fan didnt even spin, cd-rw didnt open, only thing that spun were case fans, and harddrive and video card fan, but nothing prompted when i turned it on..

So i thought it was a bad mobo.. and returned processor and mobo since i got it as a combo deal and got a

Asus K8N Nforce 3 Mobo with an Athlon 64 3200+

I then got a Geforce FX6600GT today PNY AGP 8x

I put it all together, and this time heat sink fan spins the mobo power light shows as green and video card fan spins, but i get no prompt and my cd-rw still doesnt open.. harddrive spins fine too but absolutley 0 prompt..

I take out the memory and then the mobo beeps at me.. so i have no idea wahts its problem :(

what am i doing wrong.. ive remounted this stuff so many times im getting fed up and im so frustrated im gonna explode :(

If anyone could help thatd be great.. the PSU came with the case, and its a 420W.. so it should be okay, and newegg reviewers have equally good machines like 3000+ 64's and they say there fine so im confused..

Any help?

-Thanks Adam

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Start by taking the motherboard/CPU assembly out of the case and doing a benchtest like shown on this page. Use only the essential items that would be needed for POST:

1 memory module
Video card (use your old GF2 since it's easy on the PSU)
CPU/heatsink/fan
Keyboard (in purple port)

For the test, make sure that

1) the motherboard is lying on cardboard

2) the ATX12V cable is plugged in

3) that you don't have any case wiring plugged into the motherboard, other than the power-button wire

If that works, then take a nap and afterwards you can substitute your 6600GT. Don't forget to plug in its auxiliary power cable to the power supply. Also, (1) yes, your PSU could be too junky to power this rig, why do you think they throw them in for free :( (2) make sure to manually raise your memory voltage to 2.7 volts.

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for that mechbgon ill try that now.. btw.. whats the I/O shieild your talking of in your guide.. (sorry so new :p)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
The I/O shield is the rectangle of metal that all of the rear ports peek through. Lots of pics of I/O shields on the bottom half of this page.

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
1 memory module
Video card (use your old GF2 since it's easy on the PSU)
CPU/heatsink/fan
Keyboard (in purple port)
on my cardboard mobo box

Did that.. Nothing came up on the screen.. everythings getting power.. the mobo even has a green LED showing power

I tried with the harddrive.. nothing as well

so what next?

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Got any high-quality brands of power supply you could use (Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle, Antec...)?

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
Sadly no.. just my 200w psu in my sn41g2 :p

Are you going to assume its the PSU? Should i try taking out the cpu and seeing if it beeps at me so i can confirm at least its not the cpu?

If its the PSU ill go grab one like tommorow or osmething

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Cheap PSUs have been at the root of lots of problems lately. I would expect it to manage an A64 3200+ and a GeForce2 just to POST with, however :confused: It could be a different issue causing the no-POST situation. The GeForce2 is definitely a working card, right?

Resetting the CMOS might be another thing to try (unplug computer from wall, remove CMOS battery, clear CMOS with jumper for ~20 seconds, reverse the procedure).

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: PezRadar
Ill try the CMOS

Tomorow ill order

http://www.newegg.com/app/View...=17-103-456&amp;depa=1

I think thatll do nicely.. but 12A at 12v is horrible i hear .. i hear tht barely powers even an amd 64
Score! :cool: That's the one I'd probably get these days, unless I were switching to a new mobo that uses 24-pin main power instead of the 20-pin. edit: btw, that one's got 33 amps on +12V, probably the highest of anything in its range.

One thing that people have occasionally done is to get the CPU into the socket wrong, like rotated 90 degress for example. Your mobo manual has a picture showing which way the gold triangle on the corner of the CPU should point. You can carefully remove the heatsink and confirm it's in that way, but be careful to break the suction between the CPU and heatsink without peeling the CPU right out of the socket... some gentle twisting ought to help.

But at this point, if you've been awake that long, it's time to get a nap :moon:

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
ROFL clearing the cmos worked..

Its askign for me to restart and insert proper boot device whats thta man (god im so newb)

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
That would be the Windows disk. This is where you install the OS

Make sure your bios boot order is CD, then hard drive

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Excellent! :cool: If your Windows CD doesn't have SP2 integrated already, then it would be smart to keep the computer isolated from other computers (unplug the network cable) until you get some anti-worm preparations in place: wormBgon

The firewall is key, patching the holes before connecting = bonus.

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
I love you all.. Thank you for all the great help and support.. (better then regular business tech support thats for sure) :)

I plan on hanging around anandtech now since its just such a nice community :)

PezRadar

Jan 16, 2005
Well after tons of ins and outs.. i found out my 6600GT is impossible with this PSU :p and as is the mx440 gf4.. I guess ill be grabbing a new psu in the next few days.. using the gf2 for now to install stuff and what not

Thanks again to everyone <3

Gentle

Feb 28, 2004
Don't forget that the Geforce 6600GT AGP requires a power lead to be plugged into the video card to work.

Many people forget this simple step and the system either becomes unstable or the video card performance is just horrid, if it works at all.

Gentle