HELP! New Tbird system freeze?

xWeston

Mar 13, 2001
My System is freezing while playing games and i know that i need do download a 4in1 Driver update to make it work, but im not sure which one.

Here are my specs
Windows 2000 all of windowsupdates installed.
Abit KT7A-Raid
1.2ghz Tbird with mini-super orb
TNT2 Ultra 32mb AGP
SB Live! Value
30gig Western Digital ATA100 7200rpm
TDK 12x10x32 burner
52x cdrom
Enlight Case
Western Digital Firewire card
2-128mb Crucical pc133
1-128mb Generic pc133

I need to know which of the 4in1's are best for gaming as well as playing divx movies. I believe i tried the 4.27 ones, and for games they worked fine but my divx movies would freeze while i was watching them, which is not a good thing considering i have almost 100 nowadays. Also, i'd like to know what nvidia drivers are best for my card. I am currently using 6.50 and they seem to be plenty fast, but when i alt-tab i bluescreen. My card has tv-out, and this needs to be supported in the drivers, whcih 7.52 doesnt support because i've tried.
Please help me, the freezing issue is the biggest problem, i notice anandtech tests with 4.24 4in1 and 5.22 for nvidia drivers, is this the best setup? Any other Hints/tips/help you could give me with a kt133a/tbird setup would be great.

Also please inform me of any bios settings to make ram faster or anything! PLEASE!
Weston

email me if ya want, weston@antievil.com

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The Via 4.29 drivers seem the best ones for Win2000,also have you installed the AMD/Win2000 patch from here,next go into bios select 2X AGP mode,disable all video shadowing,& disable fastwrites.

I notice you have one generic ram module that you use with your other Crucial ram ,have you tried taking it out & see if this improves your stability mixing generic ram with good ram is a hit or miss nowadays.

xWeston

Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the links, do you have any other tips? What about ram settings for bios? Turbo good?

What about nvidia drivers?

Thanks.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I use 6.50 drivers for my Geforce2 MX card you use a TNT2 so there should not be much difference between drivers,check your temps do you`ve a good heatsink/fan,as for ram settings for stability start with slower memory settings & work your way up to faster ones later,get your system stable first then work on Bios tuning to get the best possible speed & stability afterwards.

Btw have a look here lots of info etc
http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm

xWeston

Mar 13, 2001
Mem you've never had problems when alt-tabbing out of lets say.. halflife?
I get bluescreens something about ntoskernel.exe no date something or other... this is win2k though :)

Weston

Jonny

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
Mem, if you had a radeon, would you set 2X agp, diable all video shadowing and disable fastwrites still?

Thanks man!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000

<< Mem, if you had a radeon, would you set 2X agp, diable all video shadowing and disable fastwrites still? >>

I`m no Radeon expert but if your board supports 4x AGP mode try setting it in Bios,this will only give you a few FPS extra in speed at most but if you have stability problems try 2x AGP mode,not all boards have the fastwrites option in Bios but in general it`s better to have it disabled ,all video shadowing should be disabled.

:)