help!!!! new system will boot up, but i get no picture.

Gatecrasher3

Oct 15, 2004
ok. i just finished (an hour ago) building my system and everything looks good inside
but when i power it up (it powers up ok) i get no image on my screen. my monitor stays black as if it were not plugged into anything.
HELP! im running out of ideas,
here are my stats
amd 3000
DFI lanparty SLI-D
BFG 7800 GT
OCZ value 2x512
and i have an entermax 470 watt PS
so i don?t think its a power thing.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Have you tried a known good Graphics card? (your board is PCI-express so try using a standard PCI video card i.e. geforce2)
Check your jumpers.

Make sure your PC is not overclocked.

Try removing one stick of memory (single channel mode), put that same stick of ram in the other channels slot, if that still does not work try swapping the memory sticks and repeat the last procedure.

Check your sli bridge.

Make sure you have your graphics card in the right slot, try using the other x16 slot.

Check your Motherboards bios. Update the bios (using another PCI-32bit Graphics card)
Check your Graphics card bios. Update the bios if possible (use another machine)

Unplug all drives from the motherboard and all optical drives, remove the power connectors too. PC Must be off when you do this: Then pull the CMOS Clear jumper out and let it sit with the power on for a minute or two with only the graphics card plugged in (nothing occupying the pci slots). Shut down the pc move the jumper back to it's original posision and start it back up with everything disconnected (pci slots, drives (floppy, hard, optical, etc), all usb/1394 stuff disconnected, etc).

If it still does not work shut down the pc move the jumper back to the cmos clear, unplug the computer and remove the battery, then let the machine sit for a few minutes (to clear the psu from all static power it retains when unplugged), test it (while unplugged) by pressing the power switch a few times to make sure no static power remains ( the fans will jump momentarily if there is some left in the psu). Wait a few more seconds then plug the pc back in with the battery still removed and the jumper in cmos clear. Wait a moment the shut the pc down. Reinstall the jumper back to normal but leave the battery out, then power on the pc.

Let me know if any of this helps. I have been in this situation before and have fixed it many times. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get things working. So repeat some of the remidies more than once. Especially the last two.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Do you have a speaker hooked up to your motherboard? Do you get a single post beep(you should)?

Try booting with the bare minimums, video card, 1 stick of ram, cpu+heatsink/fan, disconnect your hard drives, cd/dvd drives, and any other PCI cards.

Make sure you have all the power connectors connected. You should have the 24pin ATX, the 4pin 12v atx, a molex, and a floppy power connector on that motherboard. Also be sure you have the neccessary power attached to your video card.

As googer mentioned, make sure your SLI jumpers are correct..kinda hard for him to check his BIOS googer if he gets no display..

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: stevty2889
Do you have a speaker hooked up to your motherboard? Do you get a single post beep(you should)?

Try booting with the bare minimums, video card, 1 stick of ram, cpu+heatsink/fan, disconnect your hard drives, cd/dvd drives, and any other PCI cards.

Make sure you have all the power connectors connected. You should have the 24pin ATX, the 4pin 12v atx, a molex, and a floppy power connector on that motherboard. Also be sure you have the neccessary power attached to your video card.

As googer mentioned, make sure your SLI jumpers are correct..kinda hard for him to check his BIOS googer if he gets no display..

All he has to do is flip the paddle. Make sure the card is in the right slot too, so stick it in the other x16 slot. Go out and find a PCI based graphics card and see if you can get that to post.

I have managed to get boards with no video in this situation to post by removing the power cord and battery then clearing the cmos. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, press the power button to make sure no power is sitting static in the PSU(if there is power then the fans will jump even if it is un-plugged). Then set all jumpers back to normal (leave out the battery) and plug everything back in. Try booting the computer.

ShadowBlade

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Video card? Some boards like my chaintech POS require you to have a PCI-e card to boot, so if youre using a PCI gpu, try a PCI-e, or if youre using a PCI-e, try a PCI; if it works in that case, then your video card is dead

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: ShadowBlade
Video card? Some boards like my chaintech POS require you to have a PCI-e card to boot, so if youre using a PCI gpu, try a PCI-e, or if youre using a PCI-e, try a PCI; if it works in that case, then your video card is dead

Not necessarily, Differant Vendors use differant BIOS'. In the past one graphics card from one vendor may or may not boot on a Brand X motherboard. I have read it before in the Release notes of certain BIOS Revisions. So try the card in several differant computers.