help, new computer won't boot

xshuttle

Aug 20, 2004
I made a mistake when I first got my computer, and overclocked it WAAAAYYYY too high. After doing this, the computer wouldn't boot up anymore. I think I might have fried something, but I don't know what. I tried to reset the CMOS, but that didn't seem to help.

I already sent back the motherboard for repair, and when I got it back, I put everything back in and tried to reboot, but still nothing.

It doesn't even beep. All I hear is the power supply and fan when I power up, and nothing appears on screen.

Can someone tell me what the likely cause is? I have my suspicions, but it's not like I have extra cpu's, video cards, and RAM sticks that fit the motherboard lying around...

Sideswipe001

Golden Member
May 23, 2003
First, I'd triple check that all the settings (jumpers) on the motherboard are right. Even if you can usually change all the setting in BIOS, I'd look for a jumper to force a 100 FSB just to try to make sure it would POST.

If it's a no go still, I'd expect the CPU to be dead. Make sure you're trying to turn on with JUST motherboard/CPU/RAM/Video card. I'd also suggest plugging in the computer speaker (The case one, not your "real" speakers) because it should beep an error code at you, depending on what's wrong.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Don't panic, it wouldn't be the first time an RMA'd mobo arrived DOA. I.e., don't run out and buy a new cpu (with their built-in temperature over-protection, they aren't all that easy to kill).

You say you OC'd till it woundn't POST. Well Dude, thats the way OCing is meant to be done! :) Anyway, you don't say how you did it (just raise FSB or vcore too?). What are the specs on the rig, and how high did you raise the voltages?

Were you monitoring the temps?