Help! New build problems

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
I'm building a new Gaming PC (attempting to) and I have all the hardware in set up, screwed in, plugged in, yada yada.. It's in:

Specs:
Cooler Master Storm Stryker - Case
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Mobo
i7-3770k - CPU
Corsair Vengeance 16gig 1600mhz
1000watt Cooler Master Silent pro - PSU
2 GTX 680s 4gig -GPUs
Intel 520 240gig SSD
2TB HDD

Those are the main things.

The problem I am having is when I press the power button, it starts and them IMMEDIATELY shuts down, boots for a literal "split second".

I have made sure the 24pin is connected (20pin+4pin) and the 8pin at the top of the mobo is also connected (2 4pins). The motherboard is on spacers, forgot the technical name of them:$.

Stock CPU cooling seeing my Corsair h100i didnt have a place to mount to.

Last edited:

watdaflip

Feb 11, 2013
Are you sure you have the wires from the front panel plugged into the correct pins (ie, power & reset buttons, led indicators, etc).

I assume the ram is seated correctly. Do the fans start spinning? Do you have a spare power supply you can test with (perhaps one you know is working?) to rule the PSU out.

Other than that it could be a MB problem, easiest way to debug that is to swap it out as well.

Just some things to try, hope that helps

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
Are you sure you have the wires from the front panel plugged into the correct pins (ie, power & reset buttons, led indicators, etc).

I assume the ram is seated correctly. Do the fans start spinning? Do you have a spare power supply you can test with (perhaps one you know is working?) to rule the PSU out.

Other than that it could be a MB problem, easiest way to debug that is to swap it out as well.

Just some things to try, hope that helps

Yes I have those pins plugged into the corresponding spots. I took everything out and even redone all the wiring, still the same thing.

Yes the fans start spinning the Motherboard has the green light indicating it's getting power.

Also I've noticed a bent pin in the CPU landing... could that cause it? 1 little bent pin

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
If after rechecking all your power connections it still fails to boot; I'd suggest connecting your monitor to the onboard VGA, install only one stick of RAM (by the way, is your RAM listed on the Asus QVL?), remove the video card/s and see if it boots to the post screen. If it does, then install another stick of RAM and reboot until it boots with all available RAM installed. Repeat, one piece of hardware at a time, for video cards and any other peripherals. If you have a faulty piece of hardware causing the boot failure, it will fail to boot when you install that piece.

Edit: Yes, any damage to the land grid array can be fatal.

Last edited:

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
If after rechecking all your power connections it still fails to boot; I'd suggest connecting your monitor to the onboard VGA, install only one stick of RAM (by the way, is your RAM listed on the Asus QVL?), remove the video card/s and see if it boots to the post screen. If it does, then install another stick of RAM and reboot until it boots with all available RAM installed. Repeat, one piece of hardware at a time, for video cards and any other peripherals. If you have a faulty piece of hardware causing the boot failure, it will fail to boot when you install that piece.

I have removed EVERYTHING except Motherboard and CPU. It still boots and then shuts down immediately. Can't see anything screen listings, nothing as soon as I press the power button, fans start, lights come on, and bam shuts down.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Ok, what specific model memory modules are installed in your machine? When you try to boot the machine, are there any flashing LEDs on the motherboard? The one I am specifically concerned with is the one between the DIMM slot and the edge of the motherboard (i.e. the DRAM LED).

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
i updated original post with RAM modules included now, the CPU light is Red for a 1/2 second, also as stated before I just noticed a bent pin in the CPU landing, could that cause an issue

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Start at the beginning. It is very hard to troubleshoot when everything is installed. Try outside the box with just one stick of ram and just one GPU and no SSD/HDD. Boot before each addition.

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
Start at the beginning. It is very hard to troubleshoot when everything is installed. Try outside the box with just one stick of ram and just one GPU and no SSD/HDD. Boot before each addition.

I've tried all of that man. Its looking like RMA'ing the board and trying again?

Blah

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
You said you have a bent CPU pin (contact); did you see my edit that a damaged land grid array can be fatal?

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I've tried all of that man. Its looking like RMA'ing the board and trying again?

Blah

When you tried this, did you reset the CMOS memory. Also, did you try to use the MemOK! button per the instructions in the manual? It (the MemOK! process) generally works best with only one memory module installed to start.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004

Blah

If you've tried outside the box with one stick of ram and made sure it's in the right slot for that configuration AND tried the other sticks one at a time AND made sure your HSF is properly attached then, Yes, you should RMA. Did you also check case connectors for proper orientation to pin one (look for the embossed triangle) and don't rely on the cable labels?

watdaflip

Feb 11, 2013
How bent in the pin? If you take the CPU out was it bent more from clamping the CPU into the socket? Or is it basically the same.

I'd try swapping out the PSU to rule it out before you RMA the MB.

Anxiety5k

Feb 12, 2013
If you've tried outside the box with one stick of ram and made sure it's in the right slot for that configuration AND tried the other sticks one at a time AND made sure your HSF is properly attached then, Yes, you should RMA. Did you also check case connectors for proper orientation to pin one (look for the embossed triangle) and don't rely on the cable labels?

When you tried this, did you reset the CMOS memory. Also, did you try to use the MemOK! button per the instructions in the manual? It (the MemOK! process) generally works best with only one memory module installed to start.

I also updated above and mentioned I have a bent pin in the CPU socket on the mobo, that's the problem? looking like 1 broke and 1 bent.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I also updated above and mentioned I have a bent pin in the CPU socket on the mobo, that's the problem? looking like 1 broke and 1 bent.

Broken pin = done. End of story, board is dead.

Socket 1155 is a fragile thing - you have to be very careful when you install the CPU.

You need to be prepared for the fact that ASUS may not RMA the board with bent and/or broken pins. They specifically exempt socket damage from warranty coverage on their boards.

Last edited:

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
It's well documented that anything less than extremely careful handling, when installing this generation of Intel CPUs, can easily result in damage to the land grid array. If the bent contact was touching another contact or touching the wrong land, applying voltage may have damaged both the mobo and CPU.

Last edited: