Help needed with math question

Lucy

Jan 10, 2001
My son needs help with a math question, is there anyone out there that is able to help us out? ;)

Here is the question.

Freddy kept $1800 of his lottery winnings and gave 1/3 of the rest to his parents. His two brothers split an amount that was half as much as his parents received. Freddy's sister received $400 more than her brothers. How much did Freddy win on the lottery? :confused:

Go Cannucks Go!!!! :D

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
Wish I could help, but I'm too dumb when it comes to these kind of math questions...or just math in general. :frown:

BornStar

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2001
This question is confusing in its ambiguity. Was all of his lottery money given out? I'm guessing that his brother's split 1/6 of the money. Does the sister get 1/6 + 400 or 1/12 + 400 (as much as the total of the brothers plus 400 or as much as one brother plus 400)? So you can see the problem here. This is my guess.

left/3 + left/6 + left/6 + 400 + 1800 = total

simplified a little:

1/3 + 1/6 + 1/6 + 400 = total - 1800

2/3 + 400 = total - 1800

so 400 must be 1/3 of what was left over. The answer seems to be $3000 however this is just a guess using what I inferred from what was given to me.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Here is how I look at the problem

Total = F + P + B + S

F = 1800 (Freddy's money)

P = R/3 (Parent received 1/3 of the remainder)

B = R/6 (Brothers received half of what the parents received, which is 1/6 of the remainder)

S = 400 + B (Sister received 400 more than the brothers)

So,

Total = 1800 + R/3 + R/6 + R/6 + 400

Now, we cannot solve this without knowing R. If we assume that the parents, brothers, and sister split the remainder (which I think is implied by the problem), then we know that

R = R/3 + R/6 + R/6 + 400
R = 2R/3 + 400
400 = R/3
R = 1200

Knowing this, we know

Total = 1800 + R = 1800 + 1200 = 3000

So Freddy won $3000.

Ryan

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Lucy
My son needs help with a math question, is there anyone out there that is able to help us out? ;)

Here is the question.

Freddy kept $1800 of his lottery winnings and gave 1/3 of the rest to his parents. His two brothers split an amount that was half as much as his parents received. Freddy's sister received $400 more than her brothers. How much did Freddy win on the lottery? :confused:

I think freddy should keep all his winnings, take his parents out to mcd's

tell his two worthless brothers to get a job, and tell that no account sister

that thinks she is worth an extra $400.00 to take a flying leap into the river!

:D:D

bootymac

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Ozoned

Here is the question.

Only logical answer in this thread ;)

Lucy

Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bootymac
Originally posted by: Ozoned

Here is the question.

Only logical answer in this thread ;)

LOL.....I agree!!! :D

seriuosly though, this is a math question on a pre-test. I am a total geek when it comes to anything to do with math. That's why I posted here, I knew someone would help us. My son is an "A" student in math but this one really stumped him. I'll get him to hand in the answer to his teacher tomorrow. We appreciate all help given. :) Thanks so much!

Go Canucks GO!!!! :D