Help needed,PC crashed, cant get to boot into or passed bios

giacomo107

Mar 25, 2016
Build: Phantek’s Luxe Case-- Seasonic 1050 W PSU-- Asus Sabertooth 990fx r 2.0- AMD FX-8350-- Swiftech 240-X Cooler-- HyperX 32GB-- ASUS Strix 970- X 2-- WD VelociRaptor 1TB hard Drives- X 5-- Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000rpm- X 7
------------
Built this computer less than 2 months ago worked fine up til now and never had any issues with it at all then a few days ago the computer crashed, I rebooted the pc it would only go to the welcome screen. I started to trouble shoot and the hard drive w/ OS- win 7 on it crashed. Tested the hard drive in another pc and would not pass any tests. It is a new 1 tb velociraptor drive so I just got done RMA'ing it. I don't understand why it failed when it is only a month and a half old. Never noticed any problems, video card temps were always around 34 to 50 c, cpu temps were around 21 to 27 c so never heat problems. I tested all the other components in another system; hard drives, PSU, both video cards, memory etc. everything works fine so maybe the hard drive was just bad.
----------------------------------
Yesterday I installed everything back into the case correctly and using one of the other hard drives (velociraptor) upon booting up the pc it wont go passed the Asus screen where it says 'press del or f2 to enter uefi bios settings'. Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX r 2.0-

Usb mouse lights up and the usb Keyboard num lock key lights up but the keyboard is frozen. I have tried 5 different keyboards and they all do the same thing. As soon as I power pc on I get the message above, and the keyboard locks up. I believe if the num lock lights up the keyboard is getting power from usb? Yes or no
----------------------------------------------
Today I replaced the cmos battery with a brand new one, also just finished resetting the cmos as per the sabertooth manual and it is still doing the same thing w/keyboards and wont let me into the bios.

I also noticed that the Swiftech 240 x cooler- cpu block led does not light up as it has prior to this problem however I cannot remember if it lights up once I power the pc on or after the pc loads to operating system. The water pump lights up but not the cpu block led and again I cannot remember if that comes on immediately or after.

I triple checked all wires and all connections and everything works, no error lights on motherboard, green light is lit showing power to mobo, no errors, fans, water cooler pump works and led works but no led on cpu block.
---------------------------------------------
I heard that when resetting the cmos upon powering the pc on that some mobo's wont recognize usb until you turn usb on in bios settings. The question is if I see the led on the num lock on the keyboard it is getting power from usb or is it just showing it powers up but cannot function due to the fact usb is not on? I may have to get a ps/2 keyboard not sure.
----------------
Last thing I have also tried using the "DIRECT KEY BUTTON" on the motherboard and all that does is turn off/on the PC. The Asus manual states 'When your PC is powered on and you press the button, your system will shut down and upon pressing the button a 2nd time it will power up the pc and enter the bios directly without having to press the delete key on keyboard'. Well I press that button and the pc shuts off and then I press that button again and it will only load to the main screen stating press del or f2 to enter uefi bios. So it is not going straight to bios.

I am lost, if I get the ps/2 keyboard that should allow me to enter the bios so I can install OS on the hard disk correct? Another question am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with the motherboard because the manual says by pressing the direct key a 2nd time it should automatically go into bios and it is not doing that.

Last edited:

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
try a barebones build.

board cpu one stick of memory and no gpu.

it will beed 5 times iirc to tell say you have no display adapter present.

it will boot regardless.

do it outside the case.

also use the stock heatsink

Captain_WD

Aug 13, 2014

Hey giacomo107, welcome to the community! :)

I'm sorry for the bad situation you are in. Master Shake gave you some good suggestions that I'd follow.
Check if your system will boot properly into the BIOS on its bare minimums and start adding parts one by one and see which one causes the issue. This may very well be a motherboard problem which you may need to take to a technician to resolve.

How many storage drives do you have in your system? I'd try testing all of them on a separate PC and see if all of them pass the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. For the WD drives that would be WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. Also getting the raw values of the drives' S.M.A.R.T. status could show you some detailed info regarding their condition.

Contacting the manufacturer of the motherboard could also provide some useful tips and info for its troubleshooting.

Captain_WD.

giacomo107

Mar 25, 2016
I have a total of 7 wd velociraptor 1 tb drives in the computer, tested them all and the one was bad. as far as parts I tried all parts in different systems everything works so I am assuming if once in the bios the computer still messes up then it has to be a mobo problem. I have never had a custom rig do this to me before and built over 20 systems. It blows me away however I hope not but it could be a motherboard problems because the mobo manual says you can push the direct connect key to enter bios and I have tried that 20 times and either I am doing it wrong (which I do not believe) or if the button is not working then It could be the board is bad.

thanks all for the info and help

Captain_WD

Aug 13, 2014

I would think the same. I would take it to a technician for a test and see if the mobo is healthy or not.

On another note, having 7 WD VelociRaptor drives in the same rig is somewhat risky. Those drives are high-performance 10k rpm ones that produce quite a lot of heat and vibrations and are not recommended to be used in RAID arrays and larger drive pools like that. this may lead to higher failure rates.

Captain_WD.

giacomo107

Mar 25, 2016
Well I did not know that... All the hard drives in the system as far as heat each hard drive was around 37 to 45 c. I checked the heat daily. I don't use raid at all just use 1 for OS and 6 for storage.

giacomo107

Mar 25, 2016
Also the board I have does not have on board video so if I do not connect the video card how am I going to know it goes into bios without a display?

Captain_WD

Aug 13, 2014

The heat is not the only problem. Having so many drives in a single case may cause problems from the vibrations so I wouldn't exclude that completely.

Do take the motherboard to a technician so you can be sure if it's performing properly or not.

Captain_WD.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you tried booting the computer with the stock heatsink (no water) yet?