Help needed from a volunteer WEB/player DEVELOPER/programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalentedSingers

Jul 21, 2013
I've removed the words "charity project" from your title, because the only charity I see here is the free development work you're trying to get. Your intentions might be charitable, or not, but at least here in the U.S. the term "charity" has a specific meaning, and this isn't an example of one.

Markbnj
Programming mod

Locked due to multiple mod call-outs and the lack of any redeeming value for the forum.

Markbnj
Programming mod

(To Markbnj: I see you don't see. But your choice.)

TO ALL:

Help needed from a volunteer WEB/player DEVELOPER/programmer (Charity project) :

I am working on a charitable project. I am going to build and run a music-web-video-player-website TO SUPPORT / PROMOTE UNKNOWN TALENTED SINGERS, MOSTLY BEGINNING TALENTED SINGERS. There're so many talented singers but nobody knows them. Usually young people, teenagers. They usually sing at home in their bedroom, toilet, bathroom and maybe in a school / church. Many of them, they stop singing just because they have to study and find a "proper" job where is a sure salary. (Usually their parents insist on them to do so.) What a pity, by this way, so many talented beautiful voices are lost for ever. I want to build and run such website where I will be playing their singing in one main web video player like in a TV but not live (with better way...the technical specification of project SEE below). I believe, such website will become well-known like MTV with big number of viewers to support / promote unknown talented singers to get fans for them so that they could make a living by singing, in the future, so that their talents and beautiful voices could not be lost for ever.

I already have carefully selected thousands of talented beginning singers (their videos) on my Youtube channels but because YouTube has very restricted features, especially, NO player where I could play hundred thousands (UNLIMITED number) of videos in ONE web video player like in a TV and the quality of YouTube features is going down and down, I created a great charity project of website for talented unknown singers where non-singing viewers as well as singers will love to watch the singing videos and will have a space for their creative work. I am going to move all my playlists (thousands of videos), where are carefully selected talented unknown singers, from my YouTube channels to my new future website, (at the beginning) and then I will be adding new and new videos, every day for every year for all the rest of my life. This is the most hard work because NOT everybody is able to select the right videos that viewers love to watch, and NOT everybody is able to regularly spend so much time with making selection. However, I am not any programmer. I need a help. I need someone who is a charitable computer geek or an internet charitable freak, someone who has programming skills / knowledge and with a passion for music and who will love to participate with a passion in this charity project.. As a return for your help, I can offer free space on the website. I am open for an arrangement. Offers, Questions, Details of the "Talented-Singers-Project", I will send on request: Please email me at amertasaATgmailDOTcom. Thank you. Please, note, this is a charity project. So, if you do not want to help as a volunteer but you want money, do NOT contact me. Thanks.
I do NOT ask a volunteer for making that website in one week or so. I just mean a volunteer who has the passion making very interesting, unique, unrivalled websites, can take it as a hobby (for example ONE HOUR PER WEEK), any time the volunteer has the good mood and free time for it, and enjoy he/she is making something new that doesn't exist on Internet, and widen/extend his/her knowledge plus helping changing so many lifetimes of young people (MOSTLY UNKNOWN BEGINNING TALENTED SINGERS) already from the beginning since they are young, since the age there is the chance to start a career as a singer.
I do have a few EMPTY testing websites. If there are volunteers who are interested in my charity project, I will tell them the Login Details (username, password) for those empty websites, and If you find a free time sometimes (for example ONE HOUR PER WEEK), you can experiment according to my project, on the website. I will keep the testing website open only for you. .
I write here all the main specifications because I just would like to let volunteers know what skills / knowledge they should have so that they do not waste their and my time: I received some offers from people who love my project and would like to help as volunteers but they gave it up, later, because they do not have so large skills / knowledge:

So that you can easily understand WHAT FEATURES that web video player and the website has to have, I write them below:

1) Adding unlimited number of embedded videos:

I or/and singers who will have my permission (to keep high-quality of the singing), will be pasting unlimited number of URL links (or video ID's / iframe?) into a playlist (probably into database / a video rotator? An interface is necessary.). These videos will be automatically played in THREE players:
- In the MAIN player like in a TV on the MAIN public page (the front end). Here will be played ALL the videos from ALL the singers.
- In a Little Player in a Little Page. Every singer will have own Little Page on the main page where will be the main player, as well. Here, in the individual Little Pages, will be played ONLY those videos that are ONLY from an individual singer.
- In the player on own Large singer's Page. Every singer will have OWN Large Page where will play ONLY own videos. This player will have a public playlist.
2) The Little Pages will be in a galery on the MAIN public page. The Little Pages will be moving: In the top left corner will always be the singer's Little Page whose video has been played in the main player just in that moment. The videos from those singers' Little Pages that already were played, will be moving to the right and down (the direction like when you read a text). There will be another mode of the galery: Newest added video. The direction of the moving of the Little Pages will be the same.
3) Only those singers who will have my permission, will be allowed to fully customize own Little Page:
Size of the Little Page, upload photos/pictures (as the background or separately, any position), add anywhere a text, choose font and their colors, colors of backgrounds/lines, active links (to singers' YouTube channel / web pages), etc.
4) Every singer who will have my permission, will be allowed to fully customize own Large Page:
Upload photos/pictures (as the background or separately, any position), position of the player, add anywhere a text, choose font and their colors, colors of backgrounds/lines, active links (to singers' YouTube channel / web pages), etc.
5) Under the MAIN player always will be a singer's name / nickname whose video has been played PLUS singers' names / nicknames whose videos were played, so that viewers can easily find up their Little Pages to open their Large Pages where they can see their playlists of ALL their own videos.
6) Because this main page will be very heavy, there will be light version where will be ONLY the main player. Nothing more. The light version will be good especially for mobile telephones and tablets.
7) No video will be repeated (except exceptions):
Playing videos RANDOMLY = (where absolutely nothing will be repeated before ALL the videos are played, even after repeatedly restarting a computer by any individual user. (Probably using Cookies and a custom embedded video rotator?).): The web video player will know which songs already were played by each individual viewer so that NO song could be repeated FOR each individual viewer! (except exceptions: SEE below)
8) Repeating concrete videos:

If I want, I will make settings for some concrete videos how many times some concrete video will be played (repeated) = percentage rate to all the number of videos in the playlist, to be able to promote concrete songs / videos. (Probably using a custom embedded video rotator?)
9) "Annotations" WITH (and without) THE DIRECT LINK to any web page on Internet:

(I mean the same feature like it is on YouTube where you can write any text you want on the screen of the player and after you click on the text, you are automatically redirected to any other page on internet (in a new window), for example: "CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SINGER ON YOUTUBE." After one click on this sentence it will open a singer's original channel on YouTube or any other web page (in a new window). BUT I think, this one is not possible because the videos willl be embedded. But if you have any idea? Maybe below the player?
10) The web video player has to be played in ANY media:

(for example: in any computers: desktops, laptops/notebooks, ipodes, any telephones, tablets, (MP4 if connected with internet) or whatever. (In MP3 players as an internet radio only = only audio, of course). But adding videos (uploading, pasting the links) has to be done ONLY once = only one format of the links (uploadings) for each video because I will be adding a huge number of the links (of uploadings) every day. That's why I will NOT have any free time to be pasting more formats of the links / uploading videos for each video. BUT I think this one is already solved because the videos will be ambedded from YouTube and that's why I cannot make any changes about it.
11) Standard features:

Full Screen, Skip the video ("forward" ) = SEE below, Volume, Mute, Stop / Play, time of the running video / duration of the running video, change quality, Autostart the web video player, Autonext every video.
12) "Forward" ("skip) the song (video):

If an individual viewer clicks the button: "forward" ("skip") the song (video), the player will play the next video and NOT play this song (video), any more, until all the playlist has been watched by that viewer. (Because the player will think, that viewer does not like this song (video).) By this way it will work (=it will remember it) ALSO even after restarting individual computers.
13) The problems with "buffering":
Viewers will NOT wait for "buffering". I think this one is solved because the videos will be embedded from YouTube. And YouTube has good service for this one.
14) The website will appear in search engines in the frontmost placings on the first Google Page. I've heard there're some clever ways? Any ideas?
15) Continuously backup (with only one click) every embedded video (the list = all the content of the player including all the codes) from my website (that is on a webhosting) to some Internet free unlimited storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
First off, no. Programmers don't work like this.

Now for some suggestions.

You'll have pretty rotten luck if you just dump 15 requirements down and expect someone to build a website for you. Likely, nothing will turn up like you like it (programming is the art of whittling down problems to their fundamentals).

Next, you are asking for a lot. I know you don't think it, but you are. You are asking for a full ui design, loads of backend work to manage songs, ui work to play the songs, potential video/audio codec work, just a ton of work. You mention in one place just using youtube and in another place you talk about doing things that would be impossible to do just using youtube (like backing things up... which, why would you do that anyways if you are relying on youtube?)

Next, you are asking for youtube... like literally, you are asking for youtube but with a slightly different interface and targeted at demographic x. Now think about this for a moment, you want youtube, how much effort do you think google has put into youtube (and other video hosting sites)? It is a lot more than I think you realize. Not only that, but something like this requires a boat load of bandwidth, which costs a fair amount of money if it gets even slightly popular. How will you handle that? Will you ask the artists for "charity"? Or will you start advertising? At that point, is it really "charity"? Will you compensate the original programmers if it starts to make a profit? what will you do with excess funds?

Now let me be blunt, ideas are next to worthless. What are you bringing to the table here? Is it just the idea for the site? Why should I do a whole bunch of free work for you when, if the idea turns out to be any good at all, it will likely be cloned by people willing to pay for work?

Do you want this to move forward and be something? Then I suggest you start researching on how to make webpages (There are TONS of resources out there). It will take a bit of work, but if you want this project to match your vision, you will need to be the primary driver/programmer of it (at least starting out), not some random guy who responds to a volunteer request.

I'll be more than happy to point you in the right direction for things to learn, read about, and give you suggestions/tips on code. But I'm not going to spend my saturdays programming for a guy who's motives are dubious at best.

TalentedSingers

Jul 21, 2013
Cogman:

Thank you very much for your views.

You should know I was trying FOR A YEAR, by myself, to even just make the player. I had to give it up, because I am not any programmer (I even do not have the talent for programming) and nobody (from experts) helped me even with some lines for a code. Everybody (from experts) wanted money for every help. So I gave it up because there is no budged for it.

It is a standard thing that volunteers work for a charity project. Yes, it is a risk to give money (or free work) for a charity project because sometimes you can see in TV news, for example, you were helping muslim bosses to live in LUXURY, for example, in Somalia where they have luxury houses on the coast but everyday people are dying in Somalia just because their muslim bosses do not allow them to get the free help from charitable people from USA and Europe. In spite of this fact, people still do a good deeds. It is about a trust. You do trust or you do not trust. Simple. It is the same like some people believe in god but some people do not believe in any god. Some people (programmers) already tried to work on my charity project but they did not have knowledge enough, so they gave it up, later. The problem is the ones who have great knowledge usually do not do charity work. And people who do charity works, they do not have so great programming knowledge.

KLin:
It is not spam to look for a help for a charity work. I NEVER put more than only ONE post on a forum.

Cogman:
Yes, I know I ask for a lot. I know my project is very complicated. But I am not going to waste my time (my daily work for all the rest of my life) on a website that nobody would watch just because the website would be the same like thousands of other websites. This is why the project of the website is so complicated because the website will be cool. Unique, unrivalled....to have a huge number of permanent viewers.

Last edited:

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
You should know I was trying FOR A YEAR, by myself, to even just make the player. I had to give it up, because I am not any programmer (I even do not have the talent for programming) and nobody (from experts) helped me even with some lines for a code. Everybody (from experts) wanted money for every help. So I gave it up because there is no budged for it.
What "experts" are you talking about? We provide help for this sort of stuff all the time on anandtech (and there are several forums out there that do as well). For free even. There are a good number of us here that are professional programmers. We are expert programmers here.

It is a standard thing that volunteers work for a charity project. Yes, it is a risk to give money (or free work) for a charity project because sometimes you can see in TV news, for example, you were helping muslim bosses to live in LUXURY, for example, in Somalia where they have luxury houses on the coast but everyday people are dying in Somalia just because their muslim bosses do not allow them to get the free help from charitable people from USA and Europe. In spite of this fact, people still do a good deeds. It is about a trust. You do trust or you do not trust. Simple. It is the same like some people believe in god but some people do not believe in any god. Some people (programmers) already tried to work on my charity project but they did not have knowledge enough, so they gave it up, later. The problem is the ones who have great knowledge usually do not do charity work. And people who do charity works, they do not have so great programming knowledge.

Lets cut to the quick of it, you are asking for a handout, plain and simple. The funny thing is, you are very close to doing the most cliched approach to get free work from programmers ever, the only thing you are lacking is promised shares.

As for the charity thing, enough of it. You aren't asking us to feed starving children in Africa, you are trying to make youtube for young artists. There are plenty of services that cater to just what you are trying to accomplish. Hell, just about anyone can publish to Itunes (and they get WAY more exposure than your site would offer). Did you even ask yourself how you made these lists of 1000's of artists? You did it using youtube's "terrible" interface.

You are pitching a very complex job for us to complete, for free, for you whilst your contribution appears to be surfing youtube looking for content to steal for your site.

Hate to break it to you, but no programmer worth his salt will do that for you. You might con a desperate college student into the job, but thats it.

KLin: It is not spam to look for a help for a charity work. I NEVER put more than only ONE post on a forum.
But you put many posts on many forums... that is spam. Spammers only send one email per email address but they do it to a ton of addresses.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Cogman:
Yes, I know I ask for a lot. I know my project is very complicated. But I am not going to waste my time (my daily work for all the rest of my life).

Yet this is EXACTLY the kind of commitment that would be required of any programmer to get anything halfway decent out. So tell me, why should I build your site for free again?

TalentedSingers

Jul 21, 2013
Cogman:

All the answers you will find above in what I already said.

It's up to you whether you trust or not.

P.S. Please, read again the technical specification of my project. You will understand it is toooooo far from YouTube to compare it with YouTube.

Thank you any way, for your views.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000
T.S, there are a few major flaws in your proposal that I think you need to spend some time in resolving before you get better results.

Free work. The singers will get promoted. You apparently will get a new job in finding and promoting singers on a daily basis. It's unlikely you'd be able to perform this task without being paid at least living wage, so the website would generate profit to pay you. The programmer, however, does not get paid according to your proposal. (This is hundreds of hours or more of development work.) That isn't remotely fair.

Free Hosting. The server you're expecting seems to be free with unlimited space. That's not going to happen.

No Business Plan. There is no business plan. Even charities need a business plan. They need to generate and spend money so they can provide services. If you didn't have money to hire/contract developers, you won't be able to afford all the external services needed to run this website.

Under Valuing Development. You think your work will be the hardest part of this project.

'This is the most hard work because NOT everybody is able to select the right videos that viewers love to watch, and NOT everybody is able to regularly spend so much time with making selection.'

At ONE hour a week, it'd take years to produce the website you're looking for. Unless you're going to do Wordpress and relied on Youtube links. Then you can create this website all by yourself.

You will need a lot more charisma and understanding of people (and developers) before you can get them to work for free. You're not the hero in this project if you NEED others to do the vital parts.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
6) Because this main page will be very heavy

webhosting) to some Internet free unlimited storage.

The two statements above, are completely contradictory. Free webservices usually severely limit the bandwidth and other specifications, making serious use, for huge numbers of users, not possible. (without paying $'s).

----------------------------

14) The website will appear in search engines in the frontmost placings on the first Google Page.

So how do you propose doing that difficult task, and the answer is:

I've heard there're some clever ways? Any ideas?

-----------------------------------------------

I am working on a charitable project

Ok. Interesting.

Who exactly, is going to benefit from this charity.

Usually charities explicitly state who they are for.

E.g. Sick children in the world, who urgently need medical help, as they are extremely ill, and must raise money, so that they can listen to music on this special website.
Which has this person who everyone can trust, so he gets paid, and can live the life of luxury, while starving computer/web/content experts toil, while homeless and with nothing to eat, as they never get paid.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Just put up links to youtube on your free hosting account?

I'm serious. Kids are already using YouTube to try to be discovered, without you.

If your "service" is the discovery and judging of them, just get a free wordpress.com account and make new posts every week. If your writing and your choices are good, maybe people will take notice.

TalentedSingers

Jul 21, 2013
TO ALL:

I have been thinking whether I should reply to negative replies because I really am NOT going to change any mind to push anyone. Because it's up to only you whether you want or not, whether you trust or not. But when you already spent your time for your post I'll try to reply for the last time.

aceO07:

"...The singers will get promoted. You apparently will get a new job in finding and promoting singers on a daily basis. It's unlikely you'd be able to perform this task without being paid at least living wage, so the website would generate profit to pay you. The programmer, however, does not get paid according to your proposal. (This is hundreds of hours or more of development work.) That isn't remotely fair..."

I do have very good income from my other activities. I do not need money. Believe or not. Your choice, your problem. I really won't say the details. :)
I am on top of things: This activity is my hobby and the satisfaction for me is to help the beginning singers because I work in the music industry and that's why I know how difficult is to make living by singing even though someone has the talent. Because I have been collecting the videos on my YouTube channels FOR YEARS and I have been in contacts by emails with many singers who made those videos, I know their social situation, personal life. My heart is bleeding when I talk to a beginning singer who has the great talent / beautiful voice but a ridiculous number of views on the channel just because the one does not have any promotion. (I personally help several such people but I personally cannot help hundreds or thousands of such talents without that project.) On the other hand when I see a "singer" who sings a commercial shits but has a great number of views, just because the one has support from a professional team in the music industry, I feel angry.

Yes, the programmer will not get paid. Because it is a work for a volunteer. (YOU did NOT know?) But on the other hand, the programmer will have a great profit from the free space on that VERY BUSY website. This will generate a great money if the one knows how to use the space. As I already said: I am not expecting a volunteer will make this work in several weeks or so. ONE HOUR PER WEEK is OK. Take it as a hobby, as well. When the project will be finished (in one year or so), it doesn't matter. The most important for me is the great result. In some technical things I can make a compromise but in some ones I cannot. Because I want to make something successful, not something what is similar like thousands of other websites. It would not help the beginning singers.

"...The server you're expecting seems to be free with unlimited space. That's not going to happen..."

I already do have such websites.

"...There is no business plan. Even charities need a business plan. They need to generate and spend money so they can provide services. If you didn't have money to hire/contract developers, you won't be able to afford all the external services needed to run this website..."

Advertisements on the website will make money for the future equipments and fixed expenses to move from the free hosting to the own one.

SOFTengCOMPelec:

"...Because this main page will be very heavy..."

"...webhosting) to some Internet free unlimited storage..."

"...The two statements above, are completely contradictory. Free webservices usually severely limit the bandwidth and other specifications, making serious use, for huge numbers of users, not possible. (without paying $'s)..."

You mixed two different things:

When I said: "...main page will be very heavy...", I mean the memory of the mobile phones of individual viewers. The problem would be for the viewers. Not for my website.

Webhosting will be on one address (company) and the storage will be on quite different address (a company) that is specialized only on the web storage, not for webhosting. I know there are such storages on internet. Please, realize, it will be only for the backup of the list of links. Because all the videos will be embedded (iframed) at the beginning. I am talking about the beginning till my website will get a great number of regular viewers. After that, I will pay services and buy the equipments for the money SEE above.

"...The website will appear in search engines in the frontmost placings on the first Google Page...."

"...So how do you propose doing that difficult task, and the answer is:..."

"...I've heard there're some clever ways? Any ideas?..."

That's open question. However, my ideas I will discuss with someone who will work on the project. Not here.

"...I am working on a charitable project..."

"...Ok. Interesting. Who exactly, is going to benefit from this charity. Usually charities explicitly state who they are for...."

Are you serious? Have you read what I said? Please, read it, again and CAREFULLY. I already said it VERY CLEARLY.

DaveSimmons:

"...Just put up links to youtube on your free hosting account?...I'm serious. Kids are already using YouTube to try to be discovered, without you....If your "service" is the discovery and judging of them, just get a free wordpress.com account and make new posts every week. If your writing and your choices are good, maybe people will take notice..."

I see you did not read my project. If yes, you did not understand anything. And there is no sense to try to explain it again, because you will not understand it again. But please, try to read it again. All the answers are there.

P.S. According to your suggestion, I could put on my free hosting account this message: "Google the best talented singers!" ha ha ha It would be similar to what you are saying :D:D:D ...And MTV could close their company because they could only broadcast this message: "Google the commercial singing shits instead of watching MTV!":D:D:D

TO ALL:
For the next time, I am NOT going to reply to the time wasters. Thank you for your understanding.:whiste:

P.S.:
Only one example of many real-life stories I know from the unknown talented singers: A teenager girl with the great talent and beautiful voice, was winning singing contests. But her mother became seriously ill. She had to stop her hopeful career as singer and had to find a job where is a sure salary to pay the expenses to save her mother's life. Now that teenager is in her middle age, she has 3 children, she is single. She still looks beautifully and still can sing beautifully but...how can she start again her singing career when there are younger talents? I know, in the music industry it is VERY difficult. Her talent, her beautiful voice is lost for ever...for all the world...like when Michael Jackson died...the world lost something great for ever. That was only one example of many real-life stories I know from the unknown talented singers. There are many talented unknown singers - teenagers who need the help/promotion so that they needn't stop their hopeful career. (But the time wasters will never understand what I am talking about.)

P.S.: To Markbnj:
I see you don't see. But your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You act like making this website will guarantee something, but it won't. Just how select people are chosen all the time as pop stars, up and commers and etc, that's the best you can expect for any website that has a slew of them. Sure you might obtain better talent in one location, but not everyone can "make it". Some sub-section of talent will be selected at best.

That said, you are asking for a handout. Be in denial all you want about not looking for free work, but that is what charity is. Your best chance at making it a success IS to commercialize it and create a business plan. Pay a developer and be on your way.

xeledon20005

Feb 5, 2013
This sounds awfully sketchy, don't understand why you would post on this forum when it would just benefit you.:whiste:

I mean you'd have better luck claiming your a nigerian prince and need some funds transferred over to you because your millions are being locked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.