Help needed for meat!

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I rescued a 4.5 pound package of ground beef from the recesses of the freezer and thawed it. The label says sell by Jan 05. So, how should I prepare it so that it is
1) Tasty?
2) Safe?
3) Ready before the Mavs/Kings?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
chili! lots of chili!

yeah i would make chili. I wouldnt eat it as a hamburger etc. then again i dont think i would eat it myself even in chili.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: ElFenix
chili! lots of chili!

yeah i would make chili. I wouldnt eat it as a hamburger etc. then again i dont think i would eat it myself even in chili.
Whoa, you answered from the future!! April 19, 3:01 AM!

BTW, I threw it all on the grill. It tastes uh, like possum? I would've done the chili, but the forums were down. :D

edit: disregard the time comment, Anandtech forums must be on GMT, LOL.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
LOL epic bump! I hope you still have good memories of the beef @Mermaidman

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Is this a bulk amount of beef?

My educated guess is NOT ANYMORE. :p

*(between the OP date and today that meat may well have been cycled through the entire eco-system at least TWICE!! Could be a freaking plant by now!)

On the bright side at least we can be 99% sure THIS necro was done by a human-being!!

;)

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My educated guess is NOT ANYMORE. :p

*(between the OP date and today that meat may well have been cycled through the entire eco-system at least TWICE!! Could be a freaking plant by now!)

On the bright side at least we can be 99% sure THIS necro was done by a human-being!!

;)
You sure 'bout that? His post count's high enough that he may be a bot disguised as a Texan.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You sure 'bout that? His post count's high enough that he may be a bot disguised as a Texan.

What possible bearing does post-count (while of supreme importance I do admit!) have on the potential for continued bulk-status of the aforementioned 17+ year-old meat?

:p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
What possible bearing does post-count (while of supreme importance I do admit!) have on the potential for continued bulk-status of the aforementioned 17+ year-old meat?

:p
I was questioning your assertion that this thread was 99% necroed by a human being. As far as the meat goes, it's best to stick with meat aged 18 years or older....just saying....

• Haha

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Sell by dates exist to avoid a lawsuit and to simulate buying of more food for nonperishables. For frozen food, they can last longer than the sell by date although freezer burn and the like will deteriorate the quality.

I like my ground beef unadulterated and plain.

I hate lean ground beef and cannot eat much of it. Only 27% fatty ground beef is naturally palatable to me.

• Wow

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was questioning your assertion that this thread was 99% necroed by a human being. As far as the meat goes, it's best to stick with meat aged 18 years or older....just saying....

True .... "he/it" may have been fooling us all along! :D

I like my ground beef unadulterated and plain

27% fatty ground beef is naturally palatable

o_O

Tub-of-lard.jpg

Grab a spoon and go to town ... will save you time! ;)

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
o_O

Tub-of-lard.jpg

Grab a spoon and go to town ... will save you time! ;)
First off, wrong animal. Ruminating bovines aren't worm-carrying invasive omnivores.

Two, fat alone is unfulfilling.

Fat allures the stomach. Fat alone also satiates but does not satisfy. Such a lesson was learned even in ancient times, when Prometheus tricked Zeus at Mecone. Zeus picked the good-lacking pile well dressed with fat expecting the grand meal for gods, and instead got a pile of bones and a little fat while man got a lot of fat and a lot of meat.

Fat and meat combined fulfills and satiates. I cannot even eat the entire pound of plain 27% ground beef. Maybe only a half pound up to three quarters of a pound in one meal at most.

And at 6ft, 125 lbs, I'm not the least concerned about weight.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
First off, wrong animal

I cannot even eat the entire pound of plain 27% ground beef. Maybe only a half pound up to three quarters of a pound in one meal at most.

Without any seasoning there won't be all that much difference in taste if you close your eyes and ignore the slimy texture!

And yeah ... we REALLY do need that "barf" emoji !! :oops:

;)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
We REALLY do need that "barf" emoji !! :oops:

;)
The taste is smooth and mild.

You Americans do enjoy too much steak. I have eaten one or two steak over the past 18-25 years, and I'm 32.

A little taste bud austerity goes a long way to health. I don't want to eat the whole pound.

A half pound of beef is nothing compared to the sugars I can consume if I wanted to; had I had no dental crisis this year, I'd be eating everything but the excessively sweet snacks inner city folk subject themselves to.

I downed four éclairs and two mini ones yesterday. And yet there are folks who say sugar and carbs aren't a problem. I can get away with it.

My sis has crazier powers than me. Over 15 years of no dentist and eating all sorts of things, and no cavitites.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The taste is smooth and mild.

So is cream of wheat with no sugar, salt, dairy or fruit added. ;)

*(in English the precise term is: "bland" or "flavorless")

Oh and btw .... ENJOY being 32! Get back to me about how you're "impervious" to sugar and carbs when you turn 50.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
So is cream of wheat with no sugar, salt, dairy or fruit added. ;)

*(in English the precise term is: "bland" or "flavorless")
At least I'm eating reasonable portions of whole foods that don't give bad mouth bacteria heavenly manna while that nasty hellspawn starch soup will even when bland.

Even the soy and corn fed factory farmed cow has a little natural flavor that makes it distinctly "beefy". There is a "soup" that leaks out from the material that has a flavor if one doesn't boil it all off.

• Wow

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
At least I'm eating reasonable portions of whole foods that don't give bad mouth bacteria heavenly manna while that nasty hellspawn starch soup will even when bland.

Even the soy fed factory farmed cow has a little natural flavor that makes it distinctly "beefy". There is a "soup" that leaks out from the material that has a flavor if one doesn't boil it all off.

Ewwww...? :oops:

Sorry but I'm extremely picky when it comes to meat these days. (ESPECIALLY ground-beef)

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Ewwww...? :oops:
It's same stuff that leaks out of a damn patty and makes the burger "juicy". All you folks do is slather some ketchup, sprinkle some salt, and put in between bread to make it a burger so you don't notice it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's same stuff that leaks out of a damn patty and makes the burger "juicy". All you folks do is slather some ketchup, sprinkle some salt, and put in between bread to make it a burger so you don't notice it.

Are you in the UK by any chance? (only because you mentioned boiling steak!)

;)

I'm not comfortable with anything beyond a little bit of clear fat oozing out of cooked ground beef or ANY meat for that matter that I'm planning on eating. (or a little blood if raw/rare)

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
27% seems pretty crazy. I don't think that my grocery store sells anything less than an 80/20% fat blend for ground beef.

You can always put a piece of bacon and a slice of cheese on your burger if you need that extra hit of fat flavor!

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
27% seems pretty crazy. I don't think that my grocery store sells anything less than an 80/20% fat blend for ground beef.

You can always put a piece of bacon and a slice of cheese on your burger if you need that extra hit of fat flavor!

Bacon-wrapped filets/sirloins can be pretty tasty too!

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Are you in the UK by any chance? (only because you mentioned boiling steak!)

;)
I only wish I had the "flow" and diction actual UKers have when writing; it's subtle but noticeable.

I said a soup leaks out of the beef, in reference to the ground beef. I also said Americans eat too much steak. Never a peep about boiled steak.
;)
I'm in Maryland, but with an Chinese upbringing. Chinese got the carbs all over. Rice, wonton wrapper. Glutinous Rice Flour with sugar/sweet bean paste/etc on top. Wonton wrapper around ground pork.

Chinese do their own thing with pork belly. A little different than the usual bacon.
The rice makes it much easier to eat more of it in a day. Eat it alone, and it won't be finished for two weeks.