HELP! Need PSU for super powerful system.

tated

Apr 5, 2013
This is my first build ever and Im attempting to build a very powerful video/CG workstation. I think I figured out pretty much everything except for the power supply, I don't really understand how to figure out how much I need or which one is the best for my needs.

Could you guys please help me figure it out? This is my build:

case: NZXT Phantom 630
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x79 LGA 2011
CPU: I7-3930k (OC 4.5)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X60 = push pull config
GPU: ASUS GTX TITAN
IO: Blackmagicdesign decklink 3d 4k extreme
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64gb 8x8 1600
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1
1 x 256gb samsung 840 pro SSD = OS and Applications
2 x 1TB HDD wd velociraptor 10000rpm(RAID 0) = Media, Projects
1 x 1TB HDD seagate barracuda 7200rpm = Exports, Previews
1 x 256 SSD = Media Cache (both PP and AE)
1 x 3TB HDD seagate barracuda 7200 = Storage
Needs optical drive and media reader (suggestions welcome)

DROBO 5D for storage and backup

THANKS!

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
For the money you're spending, I think a 256GB OS and Application SSD drive would be more warranted. Give yourself a little buffer in case you need it.

For the optical drive, I think almost any Blu-Ray burner will do.

For the media reader, I have always had good luck with Sandisk media readers. Make sure it's USB 3.0 if it's an external reader.

It seems like you'll be working with a lot of large files and that any data loss is catastrophic. My recommendation is not just an external HDD like you have listed, but a RAID1 NAS. The extra money for the RAID1 NAS is more than offset by the safety in protecting your data.

Grab a decent high quality PSU like a SeaSonic M12II 850 and you should be good to go.

Last edited:

tated

Apr 5, 2013
Thanks akugami! I took your advice on the ssd for OS & application. I forgot to add Im using a Drobo 5D for storage and backup and that 3tb hdd wasnt meant to be external.. fixed.

aarontpx

Apr 3, 2013
I would upgrade to a gold or platinum rated PS not a lowly bronze rated one. Look at seasonic's x or platinum series.