Help! My CD-RW not working due to bad firmware update! Recovery?

Parn

Mar 20, 2001
I have an old Ricoh RW7040s. I tried to flash the firmware to the recent firmware, which was supposed to provide a significant performance improvement (according to description).

Anyways, so what happened was, the flash went bad towards the end, and I got the NG NG NG msg. After the bad flash... My computer won't recognize the cd-rw, and it won't show up on windows either.

I have the old firmware backed up, and attempted running the flash program again, but since the cd-rw drive isn't recognized by the computer, I can't select the drive to flash... Is there a way to flash the drive again to make it work again?

Thank you,

Parn

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I am afraid you are screwed here. The only thing you can do is call Ricoh and hope they will replace the drive or swap out the rom chip (highly unlikely and not worth the effort). Call them and plead your case, be nice and appreciative and they may RMA you a new one.

Did their site say they were not responsible for post-flash problems and are you sure you used the right firmware for your drive?

Good luck and remember the bright side, a newer faster drive is dirt cheap right now. A 12X drive is under $100.

LJ

Parn

Mar 20, 2001
Argh... I was afraid of that...

Yeah, I did use the right firmware...

That's really messed up. Why do they provide flashing methods that could potentially mess your drive up for good?

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Had the same thing happen to a Yamaha 16X I had. RMA it but DON'T mention that you flashed it. Just tell them it stopped working.

Oops, just saw you said it was old. Time for a new drive.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
We had a similar problem with an HP Jet Direct card. Tried to flash it, but HP's flash proggy had a bug with that particular card. I called them up, the guy said they'd ship us out a new card that day. He said just to junk the other card. If this is a problem with Ricoh's program, they might do the same

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Yes, definitely mention that you flashed it the right way using the suggested upgrade on their site. If is an old drive and saying you didn't flash it will get you nothing as it is out of warranty. Tell them it was working perfectly and that you have been sooooo happy with Ricoh, yada, yada, yada.

A respectable company would at least ship you a refurbished drive.

LJ

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I agree...major arse kissing...

Kinda why I avoid flashing things...I had it screw up an old dvd-rom drive as well...

Parn

Mar 20, 2001
Haha, thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll buy a new one... finally. 4x was going fine for me, but I guess 12x would be around the most cost efficient upgrade now.

I bought the drive OEM, so the warranty is short, and definitely not 2yrs(I used it for 2 yrs now). I think the drive lived the warranty out enough. Reading was becoming a little shaky anyways. Just wish I hadn't tried to flash it.

But, it's a good chance for me to upgrade :D I'll be an optimist :p