Help modding case for fan install

MonkeyFaces

Aug 4, 2006
I want to put a 120mm case fan at the top of my TT Mambo case because I heard that a fan at the top of a case will exhaust air more efficiently than anywhere else. How would I go about doing this? What kind of tools would I need? Could this be as easy as poking one big hole and 4 small screw holes with any sharp object?
I would also like to know what's the best way to make an 80mm fan stick on top of a video card. Would cheap ghetto ass scotch tape do?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Best way is to use a hole saw for the main hole and a drill for the screw holes. A drill and a nibbler tool would suffice. Unless you don't mind a messy looking case, don't be trying to punch out the holes.

In any case, there is little solid evidence that a blow hole adds much at all to system cooling while providing easy entry for spilled beverages, etc. Rethink your plan.

.bh.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I applied masking tape to help prevent possible scratches, then used an old fan frame of the size fan I wanted for a template and traced/marked the areas where I wanted holes, used a hole saw and cordless drill for the main hole, and a drill bit for the screw holes.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Night of the living thread - watch out for the zombie PCs...

Cuppa Joe there, eplebnistsa? Or time for a bit of shuteye..

.bh.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Zepper
Night of the living thread - watch out for the zombie PCs...

Cuppa Joe there, eplebnistsa? Or time for a bit of shuteye..

.bh.

I am naturally a night owl, so no caffeine needed! :thumbsup:

pkme2

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2005
I now use a 110mm carbide tipped hole saw that I picked off eBay for $17.
Since I do a little mods on various case jobs, it was more convenient than using my Rotozip.
The hole saw cut nice neat holes in the aluminum cases.

tylerdustin2008

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2006