• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Help me with underscan and related issues

viivo

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Recently bought a 4850 to do a little light gaming. It is connected to my 1080P TV via the ATI DVI-HDMI adapter.

I guess the simplest way I can put it, since this issue irritates me beyond belief, is that I can't play a game at a resolution unless my desktop is that resolution or it messes up my refresh rate (I think) and creates black bars around the image.

I set my desktop to 1280x720 and fixed the underscan in CCC. I started Borderlands and it worked fine. I then alt-tabbed, set my desktop to 1920x1080, tabbed back and the game was still at 1280, but blurry and tiny with huge black bars. Same thing as if I had started it that way.

Is there anything I can do about this? I can only run a few games at 1920 and I don't want to change my desktop res just to play a game. I tried messing with the TV's settings, but the its under/overscan settings affect all inputs and resolutions.

edit: running windows 7 x64. I should also mention that this is my first ATI card since I bought a 9800PRO on day one, so I'm hoping it's an easy solution I'm just overlooking.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY