Question Help me with an upgrade dilemma

Traxan

Jun 5, 2005
It's been a few years since I built my PC and now I find myself torn. On the one hand, it works fine, I modified it with an AIO, engaged in cable management, upgraded here and there.

The case is a big Cooler Master case and I have a smaller, nice new Phanteks P500A. My HDDs are both M.2 and one is a 970 EVO Plus NVME drive, but the mobo, a 370, doesn't support NVME. So I am wondering how much I'm missing out.

The thing is, looking at the benchmarks, there is little difference between the i7 8700 I have now and Intel 10x, except the 10900 and that is very expensive. Even the 10700 would be a $500 investment in CPU and mobo and then I would need a new AIO if I gut the old one and use the memory, drives, GPU and PSU.

So what do you all think, just transfer the 8700/Z370 to the Phanteks or make the upgrade?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's been a few years since I built my PC and now I find myself torn. On the one hand, it works fine, I modified it with an AIO, engaged in cable management, upgraded here and there.

The case is a big Cooler Master case and I have a smaller, nice new Phanteks P500A. My HDDs are both M.2 and one is a 970 EVO Plus NVME drive, but the mobo, a 370, doesn't support NVME. So I am wondering how much I'm missing out.

The thing is, looking at the benchmarks, there is little difference between the i7 8700 I have now and Intel 10x, except the 10900 and that is very expensive. Even the 10700 would be a $500 investment in CPU and mobo and then I would need a new AIO if I gut the old one and use the memory, drives, GPU and PSU.

So what do you all think, just transfer the 8700/Z370 to the Phanteks or make the upgrade?
The Intel Z370 supports NVMe drives. Pretty much the majority of motherboards since 2015 (when Sky Lake launched) have supported NVMe drives.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Well the manual doesn't mention it.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-HD3P-rev-10#kf

Your motherboard listed in your signature has two M.2 slots, and which both support NVMe (PCIe) drives.

5.jpg

Edit: Your username looked familiar for some reason, and then I remember I posted in your PC exhaust thread. I remember you, LOL! :p

Edit2: I see you said you already are using a "970 EVO Plus NVME" drive in your OP, so that answers that part of your question. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
It really depends what you're doing with this PC to see if it will actually real world experience matter if you were to overhaul your platform for a CPU and system chipset upgrade.

Very best,