help me to measure my triple screen stand with an equation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mergano

Jan 11, 2010
i feel silly posting this here as it's certainly not highly technical - i just figure the folks who visit here are more likely to give me an answer quickly!

I am going to build a custom triple screen monitor stand, but am currently concerned about alignment. The red blocks represent each monitor, the pink represents the metal bar, which will be angled at 45 degrees for the side monitors.

I've got to decide, based on my monitors bezel length, the size of the middle part of the metal before i angle it. Based on the measurement between the front of the screen to the from of the metal bar (shown with a green line), and knowing the length of the monitor (other green line), there must be an equation for figuring out how wide that back bit of metal should be, or at least the extra needed (as shown by the arrow).

I don't want to judge this visually while i build it, i want to know in advance. any help?

monitorsjl.jpg

Last edited:

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Straight back from the red line, the pink line is the same length. Take that + the extension on each side and you have your total length of the pink line.

So, next up, what is the extension on each side? They are the same so just calculate it once, and multiply by 2.

There's a few things you can do: 1) Use x^2 + Y^2 = Z^2 (for a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is the sum of the squares of the sides). 2) Basic trig - Sine of an angle = opposite / hypotenuse, Cosine of an angle = adjacent / hypotenuse, Tangent of an angle = opposite / adjacent.

You'll need a little more info, the angle from the corner of the red line to the corner of the pink line, for example. Where do you plan to stick your head in this drawing?

Mergano

Jan 11, 2010
my head will be roughly where the bottom blue line is, giving near-ish 180 peripheral vision (likely 170).

i must say, i didn't understand a word you just said though :) was looking for a lamens answer to this one. If it's this complicated (for me at least), i may have to do this as i build and just hope i get it right

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I don't want to judge this visually while i build it, i want to know in advance. any help?

that may be the best way to do this without wasting money. unless you make it adjustable with slots/slides. are you sure those are the angles/positions you want?

are you welding this thing? or are you copying an existing design?

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Hrm. Well what are the lengths of the long and short green lines, and what's the distance from the blue line to the bigger green one? I and many others could crunch the #'s.

Even then w/ an accurate dimension, sometimes the best answer is to just go for it. Do you have a large piece of cardboard to draw things out? Maybe lay stuff on a floor and use some masking tape or something to draw lines and such onto?

Mergano

Jan 11, 2010
I've not checked the dimensions yet, but i'm now thinking using cad software might be a good option. The fall back if i make a minor mistake is that the black blocks you see represent some wooden vesa mounts, and if i vary the size of the middle one compared to the sides, i can get things to align again. I will post the dimensions once i've had a good check.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Hm... Perhaps this helps...

2euj5nt.jpg

Green line = h.
Second green line = m.

Last edited:

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Here you go:

PZ23x.png

I tried to show how this formula is derived rather than just give you the formula. It is derived from the simple rule of the hypotenuse of an isosceles triangle, which is taking a side and multiplying it by the square root of 2.

So if h is 4 inches then the number you seek is 1.66 inches

Last edited:

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
keep in mind if your running nvidia surround or amd eyefinity that the rendering process does not assume your two side monitors are angled in. They basically still assume you have one giant flat monitor for all their rendering purposes.

Try to make them adjustable if you can, so that you can play with the angles after you've set it up.

Mergano

Jan 11, 2010
keep in mind if your running nvidia surround or amd eyefinity that the rendering process does not assume your two side monitors are angled in. They basically still assume you have one giant flat monitor for all their rendering purposes.

Try to make them adjustable if you can, so that you can play with the angles after you've set it up.
luckily all the modern sims have modes that allow proper angled in monitors. rf2, iracing and others will all support if not 45 degree angles, any angle you wish.

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
luckily all the modern sims have modes that allow proper angled in monitors. rf2, iracing and others will all support if not 45 degree angles, any angle you wish.
that sounds fantastic, im hoping more and more games are like this. Sorry to derail the thread a bit, but i'm curious how they work. Do they still require eyefinity/surround, or do they use their own system and detect each monitor separately?

Status
Not open for further replies.