Help me to choose a CPU: FX-6300 vs FX-8320 vs i5 4440

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Second option would be to get a Z87 motherboard(or wait for Z97) with Core i3 4130 or 4330, later upgrade to Core i7.

This is what I might do, but since I have noticed a lot of scoffing here at the idea of ever changing CPUs (c'mon guys, they are in a SOCKET, not soldered in!) I have stopped recommending such paths. But an i3 should retain good resale, so within a certain budget I think can make sense to buy a good mobo with a cheaper CPU with an eye on future upgrades. Yes.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
The problem is that I aren't just browsing the web and watching movies. Read my post again. It's true that much of the time I am using it for a general use, but I am also working with Photoshop/Bridge/Lightroom and gaming. And I don't want to be off very soon with the newer games.
Then yes absolutely go with the Intel route.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Preferably, you go with a i5-3xxx version. They can still overclock 400 mhz above their turbo boost I believe.

This is the best answer in the thread. Get the +4 multiplier overclock on the non-k model and you'll probably save a few bucks because 3rd gen is usually a littler cheaper than 4th, and it will be the fastest because it will give you some headroom while still being Intel quad

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
...Ivy CPUs are on average a bit less expensive than their Haswell counterparts
About a $5 difference currently for comparable models, so unless you really want that 5-7% bump instead of the newer platform, it may not be much of a consideration.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
About a $5 difference currently for comparable models, so unless you really want that 5-7% bump instead of the newer platform, it may not be much of a consideration.

From what I understand, you can't even overclock up to turbo for haswell cpus. So overall, if you wish to overclock all four cores to 400mhz past turbo, it would be much more than a simple 5-7% bump.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
This is the best answer in the thread. Get the +4 multiplier overclock on the non-k model and you'll probably save a few bucks because 3rd gen is usually a littler cheaper than 4th, and it will be the fastest because it will give you some headroom while still being Intel quad
Yup my i5 3550 OC'd @ 3.9GHz or 4GHz/102.74BCLK.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
From what I understand, you can't even overclock up to turbo for haswell cpus. So overall, if you wish to overclock all four cores to 400mhz past turbo, it would be much more than a simple 5-7% bump.

On the other hand, there's no reason at all to get a (more expensive) Z-series chipset if OP goes with a Haswell i5, because they're fully locked. That cost difference can be put into a higher-clocked chip.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Well, the Ivy starts with a an IPC disadvantage, which might be higher or lower depending on the app, but just for the sake of argument, it's safe to say 5-7%. Though that is small, the performance advantage of a 400Mhz increment is also not very large, so it become a significant part of the performance metric. Overall the gain is not large, nor a sure bet, and the price difference is also very small.

But I won't deny it is there, I just don't happen to think it's worth it to buy a new 1155 system at this point.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
there's no reason at all to get a (more expensive) Z-series chipset if OP goes with a Haswell i5, because they're fully locked. That cost difference can be put into a higher-clocked chip

Fully agree. Like i've said on post 23, shoot for the highest clocked i5 Haswell