Help me stop my desk from bending. -- Can you help me out?

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
I just got this desk, and the part where you place the monitor is starting to bend. I only have a 17" monitor. I don't want to go out and buy a flat panel due to lack of funding. I was thinking about putting a slab of wood underneath the monitor, about 1.5 inches thick and 6 inches tall, so it would stand, but I don't know anyone with the proper tools. (Not even someone with a saw)

I was wondering if there was an easier way of holding up that part of the desk, or if anyone out there was willing to cut a small piece of wood out and ship it to me. Of course I'll pay you for your trouble. It shouldn't be too hard to ship since its just a small piece of wood, probably a little bigger than a 50 CD cakebox, but I'll get the correct measurements in a couple days. (I'm at home right now and the desk is at my apartment 50 miles away) I've tried sticking a 50 CD cakebox and some cloth in that part, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Any help would be great.

Cliff notes:
Part of desk bending. I need a slab of wood but I don't know anyone with proper tools. I need someone to send me a measured slab of wood and I'll pay you for your trouble.

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2001
i had the same problem with a similar desk. i just put a bunch of paperback books lol. yea yea, it looks ugly, but it does the job

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
Go to your local lumber shop and find where they keep scraps for sale, find one close to the dimensions you want, mark it with pencil and measuring tape, saw to correct deminsions... they might even cut it for you if you ask them.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Get two L-brackets (not sure what they are called, so we will call them that kind like this but longer, or even those would work) and screw them into that thing that comes up the back in the middle. Put some wood behind it if it is too thin and there is nothing to screw into.

Renob

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Here you GO.

I took me 5 minutes to cut and stain this piece of wood.

You can thank me latter.:D

I need someone to send me a measured slab of wood and I'll pay you for your trouble

Just have the guys at Home Depot cut it a 1/8 of an inch to big so it fits nice and tight, thats what I did.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Renob
Here you GO.

I took me 5 minutes to cut and stain this piece of wood.

You can thank me latter.:D

I need someone to send me a measured slab of wood and I'll pay you for your trouble

Just have the guys at Home Depot cut it a 1/8 of an inch to big so it fits nice and tight, thats what I did.

That's the best idea here. Go with that, t60.

imported_Papi

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
This is just my own thinking, but, you would think that if they are going to make desks that they would make one that would carry the weight of any standard monitor. 17" is pretty common. I'd take the desk back and complain that I want a better one for my money.

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
Originally posted by: yayo
This is just my own thinking, but, you would think that if they are going to make desks that they would make one that would carry the weight of any standard monitor. 17" is pretty common. I'd take the desk back and complain that I want a better one for my money.

Not to mention that desk looks ugly and rickety...especially for $130.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I bought a Bush black desk with a blond wood top a few years ago (like 6 now..) Turns out the top was a PAPER VENEER!!! The sweat from a coke soaked in and bubbled it. Grrr...

I wrote them a nasty letter about how rediculous that was, and a week later I got a brand new top! With a letter explaining how that top finish was extremely durable for everything except moisture.

The new top is now an extension to the desk. I wasn't about to tear the desk apart to replace the top. heh

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
How much is it bending? Perhaps you can just let it bend? Do you think it'll eventually break?

If you decide to do something, I like the dowel idea myself.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Looks good Renob, looks like I'll be stopping by Home Depot.

The desk looked nice when I was at Staples. Looks like the company is gonna be getting a nasty letter from me as well.

It's not bending that much, but I've only had the desk for two months. I would guess after another year it would bend a couple inches down.

I saw a desk just like this one last week at Fry's with real polished hardwood for $80; it had drawers too :(

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
It's called "cheap materials." If you want a solid desk that isn't going to be made out of cheap sh|t, you have to either shell out the cash, or make it yourself.