Help me squeeze a I7 860 (OC attempt)

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Guys,

Last overclock was a Q6600 to 2.8Ghz on stock.

Now I just want to run these settings past you before I attempt.

I game a lot and play with VMware a bit so any extra Mhz will help me.

My research suggests the following;

Under AI Tweaker, set AI Overclock to manual and BCLK to 160

Set DRAM timings to

Dram timing to 2
Cpu voltage 1.25
IMC volt 1.26
CPU Pll 1.9
Dram 1.6
Load Line calibration enabled
Intel Speedstep s enabled as well as Turbotech.

I have a slight feeling these steps are maybe a bit conservative for 3.4Ghz? Do I really need that much voltage?

Cheers guys,

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hi Guys,

Last overclock was a Q6600 to 2.8Ghz on stock.

Now I just want to run these settings past you before I attempt.

I game a lot and play with VMware a bit so any extra Mhz will help me.

My research suggests the following;

Under AI Tweaker, set AI Overclock to manual and BCLK to 160

Set DRAM timings to

Dram timing to 2
Cpu voltage 1.25
IMC volt 1.26
CPU Pll 1.9
Dram 1.6
Load Line calibration enabled
Intel Speedstep s enabled as well as Turbotech.

I have a slight feeling these steps are maybe a bit conservative for 3.4Ghz? Do I really need that much voltage?

Cheers guys,

That's what I'm at on my 860. My Asus board is goofed up and won't lock in a multiplier - it always does turbo, even if I don't want it. But I get 3.4 out of the deal, plus turbo to 4.0 on a single core, so I'm fine with that. Here are my settings:

CPU offset = +.025 (I don't know that you should key in a voltage directly - that will force a high idle voltage).
IMC voltage = 1.1 (is 1.26 even an option?)
Dram voltage = 1.5 (but that's dependent on your sticks, and 1.6v is a safe bet)
CPU Pll voltage = 1.9
PCH voltage = 1.05

My multiplier is 154, and my memory multiplier is 12, but you won't be able to hit that with your sticks. You must select the 8x multiplier, which at 160 would take you to 1280 on your sticks. At 154 you'd be at 1232. You won't even POST if you don't make sure to drop that down. I'm guessing you default to 10x.

Last edited:

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
My friend disable SpeedStep if you are going to overclock.

also take up vcore cpu voltage to 1.3 if you have enough cooling on it and check temps.. thx gg and gl,

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
whats the best I can hope for on stock voltages ?

All I could get was BCLK of 147, but that depends on what your motherboard sets as a stock voltage, which in my case was something like 1.27 at load, 0.87 at idle. So that works out to just under 3.1. Anandtech originally said you could get up to 3.3 on stock voltage, but I highly dought that and I've never seen anyone report it.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
My friend disable SpeedStep if you are going to overclock.

also take up vcore cpu voltage to 1.3 if you have enough cooling on it and check temps.. thx gg and gl,

Unless you want to reach maximum OC, it's not necessary. My computer spends more time idling than anything else, it's pointless to have it going full speed for no reason.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
I'm really after 3.2Ghz, its a nice middle ground, I don't like to stress it too much

Going to attempt the settings I set out above tonight , if anyone has any tips let me know !