Help me pick best studio monitors ~ 1500$ Neuman KH 120 vs Adam A7x vs Focal CMS 50

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy one of this speakers, and i got some a bit specific questions about them.

Q: Usage?

A: Music listening, (no production) mostly rock and instrumental music/vocals/blues/new age, i prefer detailed sound and huge soundstage, with decent lows.

Q: Room size?

A: 5x5m

Q: DAC/Soundcard?

A: Xonar STX

Q: What part of speakers quality is most important to you?

A: AMPS and build quality, would also like to know, which from this speakers use most quality parts, and the exact models of amps, for example i heard mosfet based amps are the best, and better then PWM/regular amps.

Thanks in advance !

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Magnepan MMG?: http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

Low sensitivity and 4 Ohm load, so you would need to ask them about what amplification they found works well with them (total guess, but maybe NAD or the lower end Parasound stuff?)

I doubt you are going to get insane spl or gut thumping bass, but a voluminous soundstage and lots of detail would be consistent with Magnepan ribbons.

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
I'm in small room, so to save you some time, i only need (can use) studio monitors, my desk where i keep them is the only free space, cranked up room ye.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i need info about this 3 pairs, no Hi-Fi gear.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
I'm in small room, so to save you some time, i only need (can use) studio monitors, my desk where i keep them is the only free space, cranked up room ye.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i need info about this 3 pairs, no Hi-Fi gear.
Psyside, unfortunately most folks are not familiar with studio monitors. They are more into Hi-Fi stuff usually in the lower rank versions (budget).

I own a pair of Focal CMS40 and have done a lot of research on Focal speakers before I decided to go with the 40. I would recommend the Focal CMS50 out of those options you listed as the CMS lines excel in the mid range in wider stereo imaging and soundstage. Mid detail is where these speakers excel and they have pretty flat frequency response. The highs are more than good enough IMO. Definitely beats Adam series. If you are going to do a lot of near field listening you maybe better off with the CMS40. They sound even fuller than the 50. The component quality is equal to that of the 50 and 60 line. You then couple it with a sub and you will have a killer system.

Another good one to look at is Genelec 8030A. They are the 5 inchers (mid woofer) and supposed to have very good SQ. A little outside of your price range but pretty close.

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the answer cheez, i would look at CMS 40, but they lack bass, and i think CMS50 is not alot better in that regard.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
if you are looking for a 2.0 solution and don't mind active speakers the look of these the KRK Rokit RP10-3s are a great value at 1000$ for a pair, they play flat to 30hz and have great clarity and detail. great low end for music, you dont really need a sub as most music but if you really want the sub 30 notes you would need one like with almost any speaker

they are kinda large - could be a drawback

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-rp10-3.html

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy one of this speakers, and i got some a bit specific questions about them.

Q: Usage?

A: Music listening, (no production) mostly rock and instrumental music/vocals/blues/new age, i prefer detailed sound and huge soundstage, with decent lows.

Q: Room size?

A: 5x5m

Q: DAC/Soundcard?

A: Xonar STX

Q: What part of speakers quality is most important to you?

A: AMPS and build quality, would also like to know, which from this speakers use most quality parts, and the exact models of amps, for example i heard mosfet based amps are the best, and better then PWM/regular amps.

Thanks in advance !

how far are you sitting from them? they are near field so if it is at your desk and you are sitting at your desk you are fine.

the Adams are nice.

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
if you are looking for a 2.0 solution and don't mind active speakers the look of these the KRK Rokit RP10-3s are a great value at 1000$ for a pair, they play flat to 30hz and have great clarity and detail. great low end for music, you dont really need a sub as most music but if you really want the sub 30 notes you would need one like with almost any speaker

they are kinda large - could be a drawback

http://www.krksys.com/krk-studio-monitor-speakers/rokit/rokit-rp10-3.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes they are to big.

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
You own them or have? how are the highs, i heard they are a bit harsh, i own A3x atm but i guess A7x should be different even the tweeters should be the same.

Also what about the bass, is it boomy?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You own them or have? how are the highs, i heard they are a bit harsh, i own A3x atm but i guess A7x should be different even the tweeters should be the same.

Also what about the bass, is it boomy?

I have heard them. Like the ribbon tweeter. I would not call it boomy. If you have A3x already, and like it, A7x is the obvious choice.

SyndromeOCZ

Aug 8, 2010
I've got some Wharfedale Evo2-10's that I use on my computer desk. Though they are cheaper than the KRK's and such posted(I got mine for 400 for the set). They are passive and I think a sub is needed. The highs on them are very very nice, and the bass is great as well. Though they do better if you standing back a bit, they also sound great when sitting in my desk. I've also got some KRK Rockit 6's and 8's and I like the wharfedale much more.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I have a pair of Adam A7xs for my computer setup and another pair that I use in conjunction with a Sub8 for my home studio.

I extensively tested them against virtually all other monitors in the $1400-$2000 price range, and definitely preferred them.

Simply put though, the only way to truly make an informed decision is to go try them out yourself with the genre(s) of music you mostly listen to.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
You might also take a look at a 2.1 setup consisting of the following:

Emotiva AirMotiv 5
http://emotivapro.com/products/powered_monitors/airmotiv5.php

SVS SB1000
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-1000#.UK6BruOe8hw

motiv5_main.jpg

SB_1000_50a67bb12f157.jpg

Psyside

Apr 2, 2009
I have heard them. Like the ribbon tweeter. I would not call it boomy. If you have A3x already, and like it, A7x is the obvious choice.

Thanks but the issue is here they got the older version which had port noise issues, will go and listen them anyway.

I've got some Wharfedale Evo2-10's that I use on my computer desk. Though they are cheaper than the KRK's and such posted(I got mine for 400 for the set). They are passive and I think a sub is needed. The highs on them are very very nice, and the bass is great as well. Though they do better if you standing back a bit, they also sound great when sitting in my desk. I've also got some KRK Rockit 6's and 8's and I like the wharfedale much more.

Thanks for the answer, sorry but i don't prefer passive speakers.

I have a pair of Adam A7xs for my computer setup and another pair that I use in conjunction with a Sub8 for my home studio.

I extensively tested them against virtually all other monitors in the $1400-$2000 price range, and definitely preferred them.

Simply put though, the only way to truly make an informed decision is to go try them out yourself with the genre(s) of music you mostly listen to.

Yes, i will give them a listen, like i said, they got the revision 1, which had port noise issues, will go and give them a listen to see maybe they are not effected.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks but the issue is here they got the older version which had port noise issues, will go and listen them anyway.

Thanks for the answer, sorry but i don't prefer passive speakers.

Yes, i will give them a listen, like i said, they got the revision 1, which had port noise issues, will go and give them a listen to see maybe they are not effected.

Port noise was an issue back in Feb and not all of them were affected. I would imagine it is no longer an issue. You can always copy down serial number first then contact Adam. They will tell you if it is the fixed one or old stock.

Here is where? :p

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
Second the recommendation for the Airmotiv's. Have the 6's for my desktop setup, no problems with them.

Just ordered their new XDA-2 DAC as well :)

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Psyside,

Add 3 more hundred dollars and you can opt for a pair of Focal CMS65. It has the 6.5" mid bass driver and the lows down to 45 hz. It should provide good study bass.

Another fantastic option is to opt for a pair of Audioengine A2 speakers ($200) and an Audioquest Angel cable ($1200) if you aren't for "loud" listening. It's an exclusive expensive setup but still falls right under your price range. Add an 8" or 10" sub and will give you tight, controlled, hard, detailed, authentic bass from the system. The A2's will make your sub sound tight while the sub will make your A2's sound big. Best sound I ever received, even beating the Focal CMS40 with sub in nearfield listening, no kidding.

dscf0851be.jpg

dscf0853x.jpg

Last edited: