Help me pick a new car. I want a Subuar WRX.. Tell me reasons not to get this car...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by: roncarter
let me give you one reason...

its fugly..

I'm really envious of people who need to buy "cool" looking cars to get laid

The driver spends almost all of the time inside, - thus, - it is interior that matters

Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Originally posted by: CadetLee
Originally posted by: Millennium
Because it is slow? This should be the obvious reason.
...slow? It's not exactly the premium straight-line 1/4 car..but to some people, life is in the corners. :p
Huh? 0-60 in 5.6 seconds is slow? Man...you must drive an F-40 or something

rolleye.gif
Millennium has this whacked-out newer Mustang with some serious mods and NAWWS :)
It's a very nice car, extremely fast, but like many heavily modded cars, it spends more time in the shop than on the road. Nice thing about Millennium though, is that he doesn't blame Ford for this (unlike a lot of the morons on the nasioc.com forums who blame Subaru).
For him, the WRX is probably slow because it doesn't do much over 120mph. For me, that's no big deal because tickets for going that fast usually involve jail time.

speed is limited at 147 by cutting the fuel

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Millennium has this whacked-out newer Mustang with some serious mods and NAWWS
It's a very nice car, extremely fast, but like many heavily modded cars, it spends more time in the shop than on the road. Nice thing about Millennium though, is that he doesn't blame Ford for this (unlike a lot of the morons on the nasioc.com forums who blame Subaru).
For him, the WRX is probably slow because it doesn't do much over 120mph. For me, that's no big deal because tickets for going that fast usually involve jail time.

It's also fairly slow in non-running starts where you can't use the advantage of the AWD. It gets pounded on by other cars in rolling start races by other cars. I remember seeing a video of a WRX getting decimated by a neon SRT-4 in a race where they were doing about 30-40 MPH at the start of it. It just get's outrun by other cars when you can't outlaunch them.

Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit

It's also fairly slow in non-running starts where you can't use the advantage of the AWD. It gets pounded on by other cars in rolling start races by other cars. I remember seeing a video of a WRX getting decimated by a neon SRT-4 in a race where they were doing about 30-40 MPH at the start of it. It just get's outrun by other cars when you can't outlaunch them.

it's not the car

it's the driver

EDiT

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: imprezawrxwagon

it's not the car

it's the driver

LOL. That was a really scientific race! IIRC, people were hanging out of windows and taping from in the car. Hell, they even seemed drunk to me. Not to mention that was a standard WRX, not an STi. I will admit any day out of the week that the normal WRX has a lot of room for improvement for performance. It's basically a crappy engine with a nice turbo. However, that is fixed in the STi, which is why I intend to trade in for it. Once I'm above 3000 rpm, I give any car a run for its money.

Purgatory-Z

Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Purgatory-Z
A few points. I own a 2003 WRX btw.

1. Paint is very cheap, bought mine in Oct. and already having chipping problems.
2. Interior is pretty cheap looking, and the arm rest extension wobbles after about a week.
3. Eventually you'll hear noises in the cabin, its the plastic connectors at the front of the dash rattling themselves loose. Have fun fixing that.
4. Stock shift knob and the aftermarket STI knob suck, imo. I bought a momo race air leather for $80.
5. Reverse almost never goes into gear without putting it in first and then dropping to reverse.
6. You won't be able to shift into first going any faster than 5mph unless you put aftermarket tranny fluid in, even then it's iffy.
7. Almost no legroom in the backseat, they should have made it a coupe.
8. If you get the stock spoiler, remove the third brakelight in the cabin as it will glare off the spoiler (which already has a brakelight of its own).
9. Premium gas is expensive these days, and I don't get more than 25 mpg highway, even less when boosting a lot =)
10. Don't try to learn stick on an AWD car (I bought mine and drove it off the lot, never having driven a manual before = bad idea)
11. Turbo lag exists and under 2900rpm ish the car is pretty sluggish.
12. If you strictly want straight line speed, save a few G's and get the Neon SRT-4.
13. The premium sound package compeletly sucks, save your money and install your own speakers + sub.
14. The "short shifter" option is way overpriced, as you get the entire linkage. Save money and do it yourself.
15. The 17inch rim option is $3k, which is about $2k more than you need to spend for 17inch rims + good tires. Again, do it yourself.
16. You can catch things, like birds, gophers, squirrels, bugs, etc in that massive hood scoop up front =)

That's all I can think of for now. For those 17 things I listed as bad, there are probably 1000 reasons why I love my car =).

1. As someone who spent much of my school years detailing cars, I can tell you that the paint is better than Ford or GM. Sure, it's not as good as Honda paint, but not many are. I recommend waxing it right after purchase and then waxing often.
2. You expected a Mercedes for your <$25k?
3. Not unusual for any car and covered under warranty. My old Acura developed a ton of little rattles.
4. I have the stock knob on the short-shift kit and I don't see what's wrong with it.
5. I don't have this problem. Like all manuals, it occassionally doesn't want go into reverse easily... and like all manuals, a quick double-clutch solves this everytime.
6. You should NEVER downshift into 1st at faster than 5mph in ANY car. Big no-no. Quit rolling through stop signs, ok?
7. It has more rear legroom than any coupe I've ever owned.
8. This is true. I was surprised that the dealer hadn't already done that.
9. Go buy a Prius or a VW TDI then.
10. It's not the fact that it's AWD, that actually makes it easier to drive. It's the fact that it's turbo and AWD.
11. It's 2,750rpm exactly. Listen to the exhaust. Like every import manual I have ever owned, it corresponds to 50mph in 4th gear... lovely change in the exhaust tone. When you want to go fast, just stay above that rev.
12. FWD sucks.
13. I wouldn't know, I got that option for free from the dealer.
14. Same as #13, plus I like the SS kit much better than the stock. Much better feel.
15. Agreed.
16. lol

One thing about the WRX: it has a very strict 1,000 mile break-in period. The car is extremely stiff and tight at first. Hell, it was hard to shift the first few days, I was afraid it was always going to be like that. Just drive it nice and gentle and once you get past 1,000 miles it's smooth and sweet. I suspect that failure to follow the Owners Manual's strict recommendation for the break-in period, combined with overall abusive driving, is why some WRX owners have early problems.
Also, regarding the overblown "glass tranny" problem. Let me re-state that the car is turbo and AWD. You have power on one side and unbreakable traction on the other. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that abusive driving will cause something in the middle to give. On the DSM's, it was the crank. Anyway, I see this problem as one of those idiot-caused-internet-published things. Some dipsh!t mods his WRX up to 400hp, consistently dumps the clutch all day every day, then gets mad and tells the world that WRX's are unreliable when the tranny blows
rolleye.gif

And hey, Millenium... first, let's compare apples to apples when talking cars, ok? Second, my car drives down the road every day, how about yours?

edit: couple of typos

1. The paint is very, very cheap, and not nearly as good as my 1993 Ford Tempo. Say what you want, I waxed it from Day 1 (and wax it about every month or so) and still have numerous little chips all over the front of the hood and a big one near the headlight.
2. Again, I was comparing the interior to my tempo, which it is about on par with. Actually, I DO expect a bit more for under $25k.
4. The shift knob is more of a feel thing than anything else. Personally, though I like the look of the STI knob, it's not worth the $170 extra and it just doesn't feel right when making those quick shifts.
6. That just plain isn't true. Downshifting into first shouldn't hurt the car any more than downshifting into second if done right. The gear ratio difference between first and second is very big, so this could account for some of the problem. However, I, and many many owners alike, still feel that not being able to get into first at resonable speeds (say 20mph) is a problem. Go check Nasioc and read the numerous posts there. Supposedly that new Neo gear oil fixes the problem, however my fully synthetic redline shockproof didn't =(.
11. It's actually less than 2750 on my car, with an aftermarket up pipe, downpipe, midpipe. I was guessing at the stock value. Either way, it's sluggish under "2750".
12. FWD may suck, but it doesn't change the fact (a fact that a lot of WRX owners have a hard time swallowing) that the Neon SRT-4 is faster in a straight line. I take that with a grain of salt, though.
14. Any SS kit should "feel" much better than stock. My point was that an aftermarket one will save you a lot of money.

My points were mainly nitpicking, this car is awesome and I won't trade it for anything (ok, maybe not anything, but you get my point). At the end of the day, a neon, albiet a fast one, is still just a NEON (or civic, or acura....).

Proud of my rex,
Purg-Z

WayneTeK

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2002
All these negative responses towards the Subaru makes me wonder, "is it not that great of a car as I had previously imagined?"

So far, I narrowed it down to the Subaru WRX and the Accord V6 6 speed Manual.

Several Reasons I'm worried about the Subaru over the Accord Due to What you guys said.
1. The first gear problem - Crapp.. this worries me for some reason.
2. Paint chipping problem - Oh dear god, do i have to get it repainted? i hope the 2004 models have better paint? Does anybody know if it has better paint? BTW, I also own a 2000 Celica GT and I do have the front end chipped. Isn't chipping a problem anyways? you saying the Subaru has worse paint job than a Celica? :frown:
3. Squeaking / Rattling - I have enough problems with rattling sounds in my Celica. hope the 2004 WRX i'm gonna get doens't have this problem.

Finally, does anybody know if the 2004 WRX has anything upgraded regarding to all the problems you guys stated? e.g. 1st gear problem, paint chip problem?

I'm leaning towards a Accord V6 right now because of refinement... Honestly, you can't go wrong with an ACcord V6 6 speed manual now, can ya?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WayneTeK
All these negative responses towards the Subaru makes me wonder, "is it not that great of a car as I had previously imagined?"

Several Reasons I'm worried about the Subaru over the Accord Due to What you guys said.
2. Paint chipping problem - Oh dear god, do i have to get it repainted? i hope the 2004 models have better paint? Does anybody know if it has better paint? BTW, I also own a 2000 Celica GT and I do have the front end chipped. Isn't chipping a problem anyways? you saying the Subaru has worse paint job than a Celica? :frown:
3. Squeaking / Rattling - I have enough problems with rattling sounds in my Celica. hope the 2004 WRX i'm gonna get doens't have this problem.

Finally, does anybody know if the 2004 WRX has anything upgraded regarding to all the problems you guys stated? e.g. 1st gear problem, paint chip problem?

I'm leaning towards a Accord V6 right now because of refinement... Honestly, you can't go wrong with an ACcord V6 6 speed manual now, can ya?

Nope, you really can't. But really, they are two completely different cars. It boils down to what you, as a consumer need. Reliability over performance?

Even that statement is misleading, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with Subaru as far as realiability goes.. It really boils down to how well you take care of the car.

There is no doubt that the Accord V6 is refined. That seems to be what Honda does best.. But really, they are two different beasts...

Wait and get the WRX STi..........

And I'm not just jumping on the band wagon when I say that.

I....Will...Own...a... WRX STi...........

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I'm getting a new car. So far, I've cut my choices down to:

1. Subaru WRX
2. Acura TSX
3. Honda Accord V6 6 Speed manual
4. Acura RSX Type-S
5. Toyota Tundra
6. Honda Element

So far, my favorite choice is the Subaru WRX. Most likely, i'll get this car, but tell me some reasons why not to get this car.

Also, does anybody have any websites or webclubs that relate to the WRX? for instance, clubrsx.com? Like a website that talks about modifications on the WRX.. I can't seem to find any GOOD ones.

Have you driven these cars?

WayneTeK

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli

Nope, you really can't. But really, they are two completely different cars. It boils down to what you, as a consumer need. Reliability over performance?

Even that statement is misleading, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with Subaru as far as realiability goes.. It really boils down to how well you take care of the car.

There is no doubt that the Accord V6 is refined. That seems to be what Honda does best.. But really, they are two different beasts...

Wait and get the WRX STi..........

And I'm not just jumping on the band wagon when I say that.

I....Will...Own...a... WRX STi...........

I would love to get an STi too, but it is impractical for me. Think about it, 1)dealer markup, 2)insurance, 3)costs... I mean, sure, it'd be great having one but it would take forever to own one almost. Dealer markup on that car is not gonna be a couple hundred buddy, imagine several thousand. A guy i talked to at a mitsubishi dealer who was purchasing an EvO paid over $6,300 more (dealer markup) for that car...

DAmmit! If only the WRX had a better paintjob, it'd be perfect. BTW, as far as the drivetrain on the WRX, it is great for a fact. The Subaru's engine is stable and lasts.. it's the interior that worries me.. Guess you get what you paid for. :)

EDiT

May 29, 2001

FWIW, I haven't seen these problems.

1. I never noticed the problem until everyone mentioned it, so I tried. I have no problem shifting to 1st going 15-20. Didn't try any faster than that, but I tried a bunch of times.

2. I had heard about the paint issues before I bought, but most people just recommended getting another layer of clear-coat added. That shouldn't cost much, and should help the paint. On the other hand, I haven't seen any chips yet. Some scratches and dings, but I have always gotten those on cars from idiots who don't know how to park.

3. Haven't had any noises yet either, and I just turned 12,000. Of coarse, if you get a nice stereo, you won't have to worry about noises anyway.

A few points that I would re-iterate:

1. WAIT FOR THE STi!!!!!! I've read about plenty of dealers that are promising NOT to sell it over MSRP if you get on the waiting list.

2. Road noise is a little bit of an issue, so if you plan to add a stereo, pick up some DynaMat to add to the car at the same time. I added RamMat to my doors, trunk, and some of the floor, and it seemed to help a lot. If you really are brave, I guess doing the roof helps more than anything else.

Jan 8, 2003

First gear problem? - user error, replace user

never have a problem downshifting into first gear at 20 mph

perhaps, those who do, should consider some driving classes

Paint?

read up on it, really

ever since they stopped using lead, - many have this issue

including Z350, which chips badly

squeaking? - 30+K on mine and no such thing whatsoever, - and I drive aggresively, take it to the mountains, races

EDiT

May 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MooseKnuckle
Buy a VR6, it's a blast. Smoother than any turbocharged four banger.

LOL!!! That's a good one! In what way is the VR6 anywhere near the same category as the WRX? It's a 2-door and it is slow as sin. Not really a good comparason.

Jan 8, 2003

I just reread Your post and again marveled at the amount of just plain stupidity in it. Clearly, when writing this post, - You intended it either as a clever joke, or You just plain have no idea whatsoever, when it comes to WRX and cars in general.

For example, - if I am going 30-40 MPH in the second gear, - well, that means that the engine is just about its marvelous 227 peack output. Another step on the gas, - and, unless it is something much more expensive, - the other driver will be left far behind.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Hmm... Why SHOULDN'T you get a Subaru WRX... Some of these might be a stretch, but give me credit for trying:

1) The interior is a bit cramped, and there aren't a lot of options available. If you want leather seats and a power moonroof, you're looking at the wrong car.

2) The WRX, like most Turbo 4 bangers, doesn't have a lot of low end touque. You need to get it above 3000 RPM before you get some serious power.

3) Subaru's in the past were plagued with drivetrain and body rust problems. I haven't heard anything about the WRX having this problem, though.

4) You can get a MUCH nicer Audi A4 Quattro for only $10,000 more. Sorry, I own an Audi, so I had to say that :)

Jan 8, 2003
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Hmm... Why SHOULDN'T you get a Subaru WRX... Some of these might be a stretch, but give me credit for trying:

1) The interior is a bit cramped, and there aren't a lot of options available. If you want leather seats and a power moonroof, you're looking at the wrong car.

2) The WRX, like most Turbo 4 bangers, doesn't have a lot of low end touque. You need to get it above 3000 RPM before you get some serious power.

3) Subaru's in the past were plagued with drivetrain and body rust problems. I haven't heard anything about the WRX having this problem, though.

4) You can get a MUCH nicer Audi A4 Quattro for only $10,000 more. Sorry, I own an Audi, so I had to say that :)

- that is just not true

You just do not know what You are talking about

from my dealer, - leather seats (very nice, two color scheme) are a 1600 option and a sunroof is about 1200

3) Subaru's in the past were plagued with drivetrain and body rust problems. I haven't heard anything about the WRX having this problem, though. - WRX has been recommended by Consumer Reports. Also, named as the most fun car, by Consumer Reports. Also, Subaru's quality ratings and stats are about same as Honda's. Better than Audi, by the way.

4) You can get a MUCH nicer Audi A4 Quattro for only $10,000 more. Sorry, I own an Audi, so I had to say that - Funny. I have had people in A4 and S200 state that they regreted getting their rides and that they whished they had gotten Rex. Matter of opiion, I guess.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Purgatory-Z
A few points. I own a 2003 WRX btw.

1. Paint is very cheap, bought mine in Oct. and already having chipping problems.
2. Interior is pretty cheap looking, and the arm rest extension wobbles after about a week.
3. Eventually you'll hear noises in the cabin, its the plastic connectors at the front of the dash rattling themselves loose. Have fun fixing that.
4. Stock shift knob and the aftermarket STI knob suck, imo. I bought a momo race air leather for $80.
5. Reverse almost never goes into gear without putting it in first and then dropping to reverse.
6. You won't be able to shift into first going any faster than 5mph unless you put aftermarket tranny fluid in, even then it's iffy.
7. Almost no legroom in the backseat, they should have made it a coupe.
8. If you get the stock spoiler, remove the third brakelight in the cabin as it will glare off the spoiler (which already has a brakelight of its own).
9. Premium gas is expensive these days, and I don't get more than 25 mpg highway, even less when boosting a lot =)
10. Don't try to learn stick on an AWD car (I bought mine and drove it off the lot, never having driven a manual before = bad idea)
11. Turbo lag exists and under 2900rpm ish the car is pretty sluggish.
12. If you strictly want straight line speed, save a few G's and get the Neon SRT-4.
13. The premium sound package compeletly sucks, save your money and install your own speakers + sub.
14. The "short shifter" option is way overpriced, as you get the entire linkage. Save money and do it yourself.
15. The 17inch rim option is $3k, which is about $2k more than you need to spend for 17inch rims + good tires. Again, do it yourself.
16. You can catch things, like birds, gophers, squirrels, bugs, etc in that massive hood scoop up front =)

That's all I can think of for now. For those 17 things I listed as bad, there are probably 1000 reasons why I love my car =).

#s 5 & 6 seem to be synchro issues...if you match revs, you should be able to go into first. My Corolla can dislike going into reverse unless I go into another gear before reverse..so it's not just your car.

If you ever get sick of paying for gas, I'm up for a trade... ;)

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Oh yeah, I forgot. Leather seats are a dealer-installed option on the WRX now, but they weren't when I test drove one last year.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
And hey, Millenium... first, let's compare apples to apples when talking cars, ok? Second, my car drives down the road every day, how about yours?

edit: couple of typos

That is why I have two cars. One for a daily drive and one to get just perfect. You can't go extremely fast in a daily driver and NOT expect problems. Hey, all the problems have not been related to Ford at all. Parts are just not engineered for certain power levels. Things break.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

...slow? It's not exactly the premium straight-line 1/4 car..but to some people, life is in the corners. :p

So you think a WRX beats a heavily modded Stang in the corners? Right....
rolleye.gif

Yeah, STi just plain rapes it

But You gotta give to a Mustang, - it takes it like a man, - in the a..!

Right... more moronic thoughts from your corner as always.
rolleye.gif
Who let you out of your cage again? I thought you hushed after getting owned in every car related thread you posted in. I guess not.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Huh? 0-60 in 5.6 seconds is slow? Man...you must drive an F-40 or something

rolleye.gif
Millennium has this whacked-out newer Mustang with some serious mods and NAWWS :)

speed is limited at 147 by cutting the fuel

Mine doesn't have a limiter. :evil:

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I just reread Your post and again marveled at the amount of just plain stupidity in it. Clearly, when writing this post, - You intended it either as a clever joke, or You just plain have no idea whatsoever, when it comes to WRX and cars in general.

For example, - if I am going 30-40 MPH in the second gear, - well, that means that the engine is just about its marvelous 227 peack output. Another step on the gas, - and, unless it is something much more expensive, - the other driver will be left far behind.

Turbo lag, lack of torque, parasitic AWD. Actually, I think he was dead on.