Help me pick a new car. I want a Subuar WRX.. Tell me reasons not to get this car...

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Purgatory-Z

Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: elanarchist
How does the WRX compare to the Mazda 6? Mazda 6 seems to be cheaper and better constructed yet just as fun to drive as WRX.
The WRX is superior to the 6, no question. I test-drove them both, and bought the WRX without a 2nd thought. AWD, turbo, better fit/finish. Interior is about the same or slightly worse, but Subaru reliability is higher. The Subaru warranty also covers the clutch, something no other warranty (AFAIK) covers.
BTW, for idiots questioning the reliability of the WRX, I suggest that they don't take Purgatory-Z's word about it nor anyone on the nasioc forums. First, Purgatory-Z said that he learned to drive stick on the WRX. Obviously, he's no expert on manuals. Myself, I've been driving manuals exclusively (I've never even owned an auto) since 1986. Second, the nasioc forums, while informative in some ways, are kind of like the amdmd forums. Lots of smart people but the majority are idiots who over-tweak their equipment and beat on it, and then can't figure out why it broke. And, being punk kids for the most part, they blame the manufacturer.
rolleye.gif
:disgust:
Sometimes, you just have to consider the source.

WayneTek, if you want to drive a family car like the Accord, go for it. Nothing like classic Honda road noise and massive FWD torque steer to keep people buying, eh?

btw, Millennium, we all know that a stock WRX won't beat a highly-modded Mustang GT. Please quit comparing apples to oranges. As for the rolling start thing, real men race from a stop. Ricers race from a roll.

Because I haven't been driving manuals as long as you they shouldn't take my word that the paint will chip easily? That's a big
rolleye.gif
to you for that one buddy. Since on learned to drive stick on my WRX I've driven several other manual cars, all of which go into first gear without double clutching at 20mph =). Yes, it will go into gear if you double clutch it (which I do with ALL of my downshifts, but what would I know, I've only been driving a stick for 6 months right? laff). My point is that you shouldn't have to do that to get it to go into gear.

Does anyone want pics of chipped paint on my 6 month of 2003 rex? What will it take to convince you that based on my experience (read: 30 mile highway drive to work and back each day) the paint is relatively cheap. You haven't had any paint problems or rattles. Congrats, but just because you haven't seen the problem with your 1 WRX doesn't mean it doesn't exist. How could someone so clearly educated draw up such a faulty conclusion? Vic, I guess this is another case of "Purgatory-Z + everyone else on nasioc is wrong and I'm right". And your assumption about Nasioc is about as far from the truth as humanly possible. I'm not trying to tell anyone who to believe, and I'm not trolling the post calling people "idiots" for questioning the reliability of the WRX. Troll on. :yawn;

Why does every WRX post that starts out informative end up being a pissing contest where the WRX owners brutally put down any claims that any car is better in any way, going along the "my car is God's gift to the driving world" line of thought?

Purg-Z

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I think the WRX is awesome and would love to own one. One of the girls where I work owns one (the obligatory blue one) and she has complained about the paint job and interior...she loves driving it and I love when she lets me drive it...but I can see where she is coming from on the paint and the interior...but you're paying for the performance...and it certainly delivers.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
WRX, if i had the cash for a new car, i'd buy the WRX without hesitating, best car for the money IMO.

::sigh:: ill go drive my 96 corolla now with its 1.6L I-4, w00t for 105HP/100torque :disgust: , COBRA WHAT?!

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: imprezawrxwagon
Originally posted by: phantom309
Am I the only one who thinks it is totally idiotic to drag race a rally car?

Honestly, if all you care about is going fast in a straight line, you can't touch V8 RWD. It's true that you can get a WRX well into the 12s using basic well-known mods....it's also true that you'll get about 30 launches at the strip MAX before the tranny breaks. It's not a bad tranny; it just wasn't built for drag racing.

The WRX is a fast, beautifully balanced, impeccable-handling car. It's also relentlessly practical - try fitting four adults in a Mustang, or driving it in a foot of snow. To dismiss it because it's a few tenths slower than a modded Mustang at a sport it wasn't designed for is moronic.

I have had well over a hundred, at least. Dropping it to 5K

30K on odometer now and all is good

That's good to hear, but I've heard way too many horror stories on the WRX boards to back off my claim (maybe you're just a good driver). I own an '03 WRX wagon and love it, BTW.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Both of those acuras suck! The honda element is for old gay guys or middle age women who ..well suck now. The toyota tundra sucks becuase it's boring, so the only non suckiness of all of those is the WRX or the accord. Test drive both!

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Phuz

I still don't think an 8 cylinder engine with 4.6L of displacement is comparable to a 3.0L 4 banger on steroids. Just because they achieve similar speeds doesn't make them compareable... I wouldn't want to take a Cobra down a crazy dirt road, just as I wouldn't want to take an STi to the Autobahn. Fact is, I don't think Ford has any productions cars in direct competition to the STi. If anything, its the Focus RS WRC... but that isn't very obtainable.

Well, the STi is only 2.5L of displacement... the EVO is only carrying 2.0L of displacement as are all 4G63Ts. The modular 4.6L is still a relatively new engine whereas the EJseries and 4G63T are kinda old... 650+whp in the 4G63T? heck yeah... Best not to make any assumptions about engine potential based on displacement... the RB26DETT in the GTR has seen in excess of 1100+whp... it's a 2.6L I-6 in "streetable" trim.

Anywho, if the STi is Subaru's WRC "road car", then the Europe-only Ford Focus Cosworth (AWD + Cosworth-tuned turbo engine) is the equivalent. It's new but soon to be available in UK, Europe, and abroad... not much more unobtainable than an STi for those folks.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Wow, it is nice to know tht we have so many die hard WRX fans out here... :D

007bond

May 11, 2002
Originally posted by: EDiT
Originally posted by: imprezawrxwagon
WRX STi, the Prodrive version. Available in the states starting this July. 30K (no AC, no stereo). Rapes Cobra, with the Cobra's price being at least 8K more.

Hail to the rice!

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that. I live in Arizona. No way in HELL I would buy a car without AC, even if it was a 911 GT2 for $1000. (OK, maybe then I would ;) )

I don't know what this "prodrive" version is, but all normal Sti's do come with AC/automatic climate control. Though a stereo is not standard.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
Car and Driver got the STi from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, and it did the quarter mile in 13.2@103.

2003 C&D Cobra article
In this article it says the Cobra did 0-60 in 4.6, and the quarter mile in 12.9@112

Now, I personally wouldn't consider the Cobra a helluva lot faster than the STi. A second is a long time to me, but .3 really is pretty close for two different types of cars....

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
MSRP on the STi is 31500 or 32000 or something around there. A little bit over 30 g's.

Originally posted by: LittleWolf
Originally posted by: ndee
R32 costs MORE then an STi.

How much does the STi cost? The R32 is gonna be below 30K well equiped.

WayneTeK

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2002
did you guys know Car And Driver ranked the Lancer EVO higher than Subaru WRX STi? Isn't that ludacrious!!!?? It's on news stands right now.