Help me pick a cell phone........

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Ok, its cell phone time. I need a new one.

I'm going to go with Verizon Wireless. But i have a choice of phones:

To see the choices:
1. Click
Here
2. Enter 57105
3. Select the First Plan
4. Select the first plan again

I like flip phones but i'm not omitting ther other just yet..... Oh yeha, I'll prob sign up for a 2 year plan, unless i'm convinced otherwise.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
their phone selection is REALLY sh*tty. sorry that other gsm providers don't work for you.
get LG-4400?
my v300 can own any verizon phone at anytime. coverage is awesome in my area, so you verizon fanboy can stop saying "we got the best network."

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
The LG 6000 sucks. It's a horrible phone. The VX4400 is their best available phone.

DaWhim, YOU might get great coverage in YOUR area, that != great coverage everywhere. Verizon DOES have the largest coverage area.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
their phone selection is REALLY sh*tty. sorry that other gsm providers don't work for you.
get LG-4400?
my v300 can own any verizon phone at anytime. coverage is awesome in my area, so you verizon fanboy can stop saying "we got the best network."

Verizon does have the best network nationwide. Some people have a cell for other things than just a toy.

The VX6000 is a great phone. I've never had a problem with it and never have had a dropped call. I picked it up the day after it was realeased. Best phone I've ever used.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
"Hi, I was thinking about Verizon... do you have a plan for $100/mo with 2000 anytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend minutes"?

Verizon rep: "No. We have the best service."

"No... ok, well do your plans over $100 offer a second line for free?"

"No... well, do you have unlimited national mobile to mobile to any Verizon customer?"

"No... how about the option to start your night minutes at 7pm?"

"How about an option like Sprint has, the Free and Clear America option, that you pay $5 more a month and you get no roaming charges on any network; so I can use my Sprint phone on your 'best' network for free."

Verizon rep: "No. We have the best... phones and service"

"Can I test your Push-to-talk?"

Verizon rep: "Sure, let's get you signed up for a two-year agreement and if you don't like it you can cancel it before 15 days. See, we give you 15 days, Sprint only gives you 14! Ha!"

"I have the Treo 600, do you have a comparible Palm phone?"

Verizon rep: "We have the Kyocera 7135" (LOL)

"With Sprint, you can have Readylink on a family plan. Can I do that with Verizon?"

Verizon rep: "No. Each PTT plan has to be on its own seperate plan."

there you go. :p

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Well I'm convinced.
rolleye.gif

theNEOone

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
verizon has great coverage, but is terrible in other departments. each company has its strengths and weaknesses.

=|

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Oh, i forgot to mention that i dont really want to spend any more then 200, if even that much

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
The 6000 will be around for a little while yet. If I had to pick one, I'd probably want the Samsung A530 or the VX-6K. If you don't care if it's color and if it's still available in your area, you might want to take a hard look at the V60s as well.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
hmmm........

Looking into the Nokia 3589i.

Small, cheap ($20) and looks like good battery life.

Any other opinions?

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Originally posted by: tRaptor
whats tri-mode mean?

That means (for Verizon's current phones) that it has the ability to operate on analog (old-fashioned, non-digital) cellular networks as well as digital CDMA networks operating at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. (The three modes of a tri-mode phone are 850 MHz analog, 850 MHz CDMA, and 1900 MHz CDMA.)

It's still a good idea to have this ability if you ever travel far from home by car, because in the boonies, analog is often all that's available.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
hmmm........

Any other opinions?

Over the short time that phone's been available, it's proven to be very decent phone for the people who have it. Reportedly, it has an excellent ability to pick up (and use) a weak signal where other phones probably couldn't.

So, not a bad choice, and a very low cost to you. BTW, $20 is the price if you sign up for 2 years, which is not recommended. It's probably $70 with a one year agreement.

There's also a $35 new account activation fee. It's waived with a 2 year agreement, but not a one year. So that means it's really $105. I'd still stay away from the 2 year agreement. $105 isn't that bad for that phone if it really performs as well as everybody says.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Thegonagle
hmmm........

Any other opinions?

Over the short time that phone's been available, it's proven to be very decent phone for the people who have it. Reportedly, it has an excellent ability to pick up (and use) a weak signal where other phones probably couldn't.

So, not a bad choice, and a very low cost to you. BTW, $20 is the price if you sign up for 2 years, which is not recommended. It's probably $70 with a one year agreement.

There's also a $35 new account activation fee. It's waived with a 2 year agreement, but not a one year. So that means it's really $105. I'd still stay away from the 2 year agreement. $105 isn't that bad for that phone if it really performs as well as everybody says.

Thanks for the advice. I really need something to convince me that i shouldent sighn up for the 2 years. The way i see it I'm going to keep the same plan pretty much no matter what. I've been on the same plan for 4 years + and it has been great.

I dont want to drop an extra $85 now. $85 / 12 months = $7/month. SO unless in a year that plan drops below $28 i would still have saved money by going with 2 years.

EDIT: Do you know anything abotu the size of this phone, is it comfortable? I'll prob go take a look this weekend.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
hmmm........

Any other opinions?

Thanks for the advice. I really need something to convince me that i shouldent sighn up for the 2 years. The way i see it I'm going to keep the same plan pretty much no matter what. I've been on the same plan for 4 years + and it has been great.

I dont want to drop an extra $85 now. $85 / 12 months = $7/month. SO unless in a year that plan drops below $28 i would still have saved money by going with 2 years.

EDIT: Do you know anything abotu the size of this phone, is it comfortable? I'll prob go take a look this weekend.

The phone isn't tiny; it's an average Nokia size, I guess. One nice thing about it is that the antenna actually retracts 100% into the case, so there is no antenna stub to jab you (or break off).

So, are you saying that you already have Verizon? (What do you have, SingleRate Midwest with N+W? That's a nice plan.) If so, then there is no activation fee. That's for new accounts only. So in your case, the phone would be $70.

In your case (you already have Verizon and you know you're happy with the quality of service), the biggest reason not to sign for the 2 year is because you will not be able to buy another new phone at the cheap subsidized price for 22 months! If you sign a one year contract, you will be able to buy a new phone at the subsidized rate after only 10 months. (Think a phone really only costs $20? Or $70 for that matter? Most phones actually cost over $200! Sometimes much more.)

If you already have Verizon service and you're happy with it, and you're OK with the 22 months vs. 10 months before you can upgrade the phone at the subsidized price, then go for it.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
hmmm........

Any other opinions?

The phone isn't tiny; it's an average Nokia size, I guess. One nice thing about it is that the antenna actually retracts 100% into the case, so there is no antenna stub to jab you (or break off).

So, are you saying that you already have Verizon? (What do you have, SingleRate Midwest with N+W? That's a nice plan.) If so, then there is no activation fee. That's for new accounts only. So in your case, the phone would be $70.

In your case (you already have Verizon and you know you're happy with the quality of service), the biggest reason not to sign for the 2 year is because you will not be able to buy another new phone at the cheap subsidized price for 22 months! If you sign a one year contract, you will be able to buy a new phone at the subsidized rate after only 10 months. (Think a phone really only costs $20? Or $70 for that matter? Most phones actually cost over $200! Sometimes much more.)

If you already have Verizon service and you're happy with it, and you're OK with the 22 months vs. 10 months before you can upgrade the phone at the subsidized price, then go for it.

It really depends on where you buy your phone. I was about 14 months into a 24 month contract when the VX6000 came out. I called up Verizon, and I was able to get the phone at the sale price and the rebate too. I had to sign another 2 year contract, but I've been happy with V for awhile now.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
hmmm........

Any other opinions?

Well I "am" a Verizon customer technically. My family has some $46 / month plan that gives us 3 phones and 300 min (total) It really is a great plan for the price (compaired to nowadays) except it has no features, free long distance in the state is about it. It is also time to start severing the many ties i have to my parents. Not sure what my dad is going to do about his plan...

A big thins is that my GF lives out of state, thus my wanting for free nights and weekends. I've had the same Nokia 252 for years and its served me well, i'm not about switching phones unless the function is simply not there (like teh 252).

Right now i'm really leaning twards the 2 years, I'll probably order it tomorrow (online).

VTEC01EX

Mar 8, 2002
The only reason you were allowed an early upgrade is because Verizon launched a new service - picture messaging. Generally when they launch a big new thing, they'll allow early upgrades for most customers. I'm about 16 months into my 24 month contract, and the only way I could get promo pricing now would be either a picture phone or PTT.