HELP ME OVERCLOCK MY .25 ATHLON!!!

LordFrogi

Jun 28, 2000
I love this chip (it was free), I got it back in november when AMD was in the final benchmark stages from my brother who worked there. It's a .25 micron 700mhz athlon. I run on a K7M which was practically one of the only good overclocking board out back then. Well anyhow, I'm looking to overclock with stability. I've overclocked the bus to 110mhz to get to 800mhz and it booted into windows fine, but it bluescreened on shutdown. Any helpful hints on what I should do/try

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
The first thing to do if you want to overclock is buy a descent HSF. The GlobalWin VOS-32 or Alpha P7125 are excellent. You main goal is to try and keep the CPU as cool as possible, which will help eliminate the blue screens and lockups. As you raise the FSB of the CPU, you may find that you can't keep it stable. Increasing the CPU voltage will assist in stability, but it will also increase the temperature of the CPU.

MorbidDog

Jul 11, 2000
I aggree! With my Alpha P7125 my Athlon 650@800 ran stable at 1.9V. I got a peltier from Swiftech and now I run at 900 at 2.0V. Cooling is a big part of good overclocking.