Help me out with this Problem!!!

Jan 19, 2001
There are 12 balls and 1 of the ball is either weight more or less than the rest. You can balance the balls on a balance 3 times and tell which one is the less or more weight ball.

Jan 19, 2001
I have 12 balls. 11 out of the 12 are the same weight. 1 out of the 12 is either weight more or less than the the 11. You have 3 chance on a balance to figure out the one that is different from the 11 ballz. Luck don't count.

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
You have 12 balls. Out of the 12 balls 11 will weigh the same with 1 weighing more than the others. You have 3 chances to weigh 3 different balls on a balance in order to find out which one it is.

Is that what you mean?

MrCraphead

Platinum Member
Sep 20, 2000
hehe, well, assuming that you could put however many balls on the scale at one time as you wanted, it's just as Teckmaster said in the old thread that loogie posted:

"The first weighing you put 6 on one side and six on the other

Second weighing - whichever six was heavier break down and put 3 on one side and 3 one the other

Third weighing - whichever side was heavier put one ball on each side and see which side is heavier. If both are the same then the third ball is the odd ball"

EDIT: Actually, I suppose it's a bit more complicated than that.....but hell, that old thread is freakin' long and I don't really wanna know the answer THAT bad. ;)