Help me out here...Where to start?

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
Ive been in the IT field for about 5 years now and almost been working exclusivly with Novell and NT/2000 networks. Im looking to broaden my horizens as far as what I can do, and my next logical step is learning Unix/Linux. But as far as I know, both those almost require at least a basic knowledge of programming concepts/languages(What languages, im not even sure) to become proficient. Can anyone help me out and lend a few pointers on where I should even start to go about this? Like what languages would be the best to practice getting my mind into that "Logic" mode, without being overwhelming? Book recommendations would be great. Thx in adavance.

Wannabe Programmer

Chubs

Apr 4, 2001

<< Ive been in the IT field for about 5 years now and almost been working exclusivly with Novell and NT/2000 networks. Im looking to broaden my horizens as far as what I can do, and my next logical step is learning Unix/Linux. But as far as I know, both those almost require at least a basic knowledge of programming concepts/languages(What languages, im not even sure) to become proficient. Can anyone help me out and lend a few pointers on where I should even start to go about this? Like what languages would be the best to practice getting my mind into that "Logic" mode, without being overwhelming? Book recommendations would be great. Thx in adavance.

Wannabe Programmer
>>

Actually, if you just want to learn how to properly administer a Linux/UNIX box you don't need to learn a programming language. You'll want/need to learn some shell scripting (possibly some perl) so you can understand/modify the scripts that drive your system, but other than that you'll need to learn more about the underpinnings of the filesystems, commands, process control, etc. Just go to your local bookstore and pick out a book (one that contains a Linux/FreeBSD CD) to get started.

If you want to be a Linux/UNIX programmer then you have to learn C/C++ and probably some Java. It's not clear from your message just how much programming experience you have (the message makes it seem like you've been in an administrative role) so it's difficult to recommend any books.