Help me name that game from the Mid 1990s...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I remember this one I used to play... There was a small line on each side of the screen. Each player controlled one of the lines. You could move it up and down. The goal was to bounce a ball back and forth by hitting it with your line. I think it was called Street Fighter 2.

Pfft I still play SF2 often

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
I played that when it came out-- lots of fun on an IBM 8086 clone.

Me and my buddy Mike had a good ol time with Wasteland.

I wish someone would remake it.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: blckgrffn
lol, I was thinking Rune :)

Nat

That game was awesome, loved multiplayer dismemberment.

I think I was playing that and the original Max Payne most of that year. :thumbsup:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Vesper8
if you want to try an amazing game.. which to this day is probably still my all time favorite adventure/RPG.. get Ultima 8 : Pagan.. you'll need dosbox to play it

if you can get passed the aged graphics.. you're sure to fall in love with it

Yeah, except you will be cursing those jump sequences, it's like Super Mario with crap controls.

But otherwise it was great.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Jedi Knights II --- Anyone played this? Its not as old as some of the other games mentioned, but wow, I just loved that game...

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
Originally posted by: TBSN
Jedi Knights II --- Anyone played this? Its not as old as some of the other games mentioned, but wow, I just loved that game...

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight?

That was the first game I ever played online.

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005

Oh yeah, I still have it and load it up occasionally. They need to do a new version of that in DX10, or recreate it on the wii.

Dec 1, 2006
Interesting thread.

Does anyone know what I can USEFULLY do with about 300 games (give or take 50) dating back to 1988. Wifey has been complaining about lack of space in the garage for years. I haven't really got into ebay - would there be a market for retro games there?

When I think of the money I've spent on them I shudder (minimum £30 each). When I think of the time I shudder a whole lot more.:eek:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Okay, how bout this one... futuristic setting, you have a planet/world whatever where you have a small grid that you can upgrade your city on. You attack with troops, air strikes and missile attacks. I think it was named AD2800 or something, but well... dunno.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Originally posted by: patentman

Oh yeah, I still have it and load it up occasionally. They need to do a new version of that in DX10, or recreate it on the wii.

Definately. I would buy it :)

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Dave Richardson
Interesting thread.

Does anyone know what I can USEFULLY do with about 300 games (give or take 50) dating back to 1988. Wifey has been complaining about lack of space in the garage for years. I haven't really got into ebay - would there be a market for retro games there?

When I think of the money I've spent on them I shudder (minimum £30 each). When I think of the time I shudder a whole lot more.:eek:

Lots of people (myself included) collect retro games.

patentman

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Okay, how bout this one... futuristic setting, you have a planet/world whatever where you have a small grid that you can upgrade your city on. You attack with troops, air strikes and missile attacks. I think it was named AD2800 or something, but well... dunno.

master of orion?

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Ok, I've got one.

Not so old, and a bit lacking in details. I recall playing it when Everquest was something to talk about, probably around the time SOE released Tanarus and Infantry playable from the Launchpad...maybe a bit later.

Anyway, it was sort of massively multiplayer. Two teams of sorts, with ships, you controlled a small group of units, I want to say 4 or 5 by default and flew through different areas to places that were contested by the other team, you could upgrade...it was free to play online. I suck with the details. It was a nearly top down game that felt like an RTS except there were tons of people on each team.

Yeah, I know, I'll never find it again.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
this is way obscure, i don't think it was even a disk. it was called "raptor" or something. It was one of those arcade style fly and blow up stuff while going just back and forth. At the end of each level you could by weapons, your health bar was one the side opf the screen aand it ran up the whole side. you could buy like "phase sheilds" and another bar would be on your left side. You add air-air and air-ground missiles, pulse guns, but i really want to play it again. any ideas?

emilyek

Mar 1, 2005
Star Control was fun, especially the 2-player shoot-em-up mode.

688 Attack Sub was the first game I played 'online'-- again, me and a buddy of mine, about 15 years ago. It had a modem play mode, 2 subs against one another, and you would ping to find out location. Kinda funny really-- you couldn't see anything, just listen and shoot. Not much gameplay, but it was a blast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/688_Attack_Sub

Oh, and if anyone can find a copy of Questron I (not II) online for me, I'll be forever in your debt.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Originally posted by: emilyek
Star Control was fun, especially the 2-player shoot-em-up mode.

688 Attack Sub was the first game I played 'online'-- again, me and a buddy of mine, about 15 years ago. It had a modem play mode, 2 subs against one another, and you would ping to find out location. Kinda funny really-- you couldn't see anything, just listen and shoot. Not much gameplay, but it was a blast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/688_Attack_Sub

Oh, and if anyone can find a copy of Questron I (not II) online for me, I'll be forever in your debt.

Looks like it's an old C64 game.

You can download it here:

http://www.classic-pc-games.com/c64/games/questron.html

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
die by the sword...ive always wanted to play that game. i remember my brother getting a cutout from a magazine and it had a wolf hanging with a sword in its hand. yeah, silly but thats all i remember.

anyone have a demo on it?

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
Since my PC doesn't really run the newest games, I still play a bunch of older games. Once you get over the totally outdated graphics its a lot of fun. I recently played Deus Ex (the first one). That game was longer than HL1! It was good tho. Too bad the sequel sucked....

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: emilyek
I played that when it came out-- lots of fun on an IBM 8086 clone.

Me and my buddy Mike had a good ol time with Wasteland.

I wish someone would remake it.
Yeah, I played that on an old Tandy 1000. I saved up for that computer with money from my paper route :D. Interesting plot, fun weapons, lots of different enemies. I remember my father telling me as I was looking at the game to purchase it, "Your life will become a Wasteland if you play too much of that stuff," or something like that. And he was right :( Just kidding

Loved that Photon Axe!