Help me keep Opera browser!

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by joejoe666, Jun 6, 2012.

1. joejoe666

joejoe666 Member

I have a been using Opera for a few years now and I think it awesome! Everything is built-in and smooth.

1 thing that bothers me is I use Notscript and Opera Ad Block to keep me safe in shady sites. Notscript sucks compared to firefox noScript. That is the one reason i am thinking about switching to Firefox. i really don't want to switch. please guide me to an equivalent NoScript for opera."NoAds Advanced" and "external scripts" suck!

p.s.-i love the mouse gestures and the fact that you can add commands to the main window part (where the minimize, and close window buttons are)....i added bookmarks and other items there. Save a whole line for browsing!

2. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

It might not be worth it. If rumors regarding facebook purchasing Opera come true, you couldn't pay me to use the browser. I'd sit tight for a few months, and see if anything happens regarding that.

I'm a little ambivalent about using script blockers. They make using the web tedious. Every so often I play around with NoScript, but I always end up disabling it. The only time I use it is with Tor, and then I allow no scripts at all. I just deal with it as-is.

3. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Opera's per-site preference keeps me from moving away from it.

4. HeXen

HeXen Diamond Member

i hated no script in FF. its like adding an extension with a name like "web nofun". If your that accustomed to Opera, sounds like far more work re adjusting to Firefox than it would be to have a crappier no script in Opera.

5. Webwanderer

Webwanderer Junior Member

Yeah, NoScript is more work until you get your trusted sites approved, but you end up with NoInfections.

There's a reason the techies use NoScript, and out of 12,000 plug-ins it's #6 in popularity for Firefox plug-ins, along with adblock, which is pretty similar, at #1.

I went searching for the solution after I got infected by an ad on t-mobile's website, then a second time by a script on microsoft.com's template area.

Running scripts wide-open is also a part of why one out of six computers is infected. Run IE and get infected in about 30 minutes. Run Firefox and your changes go way down. Run Firefox with NoScript and your chances are close to zero. And Opera is even safer than Firefox. Yeah, some sites don't work with scripts off. If I trust them, I turn scripts on, if not, "too bad, you lost a vistor". Pages load faster, and many ads don't show up, too, with NoScript.

Facebook purchasing Opera? ............ oh no! ...........I just Googled it. There's a trillion pages from the announcement at the end of May but I didn't see any more about it. I hope it fell through.

6. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

just want to comment on the facebook rumor - I don't think it will happen. Haven't heard anything re Opera/fb in a long time!

7. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Yea, I hope not. Curious facebook doesn't have their own browser though. Seems like a natural addition, but I'd go with Firefox or Chromium source if I were them. It would be much cheaper than buying a browser.

8. Webwanderer

Webwanderer Junior Member

Flock went out of business, didn't they? Maybe FB can pick Flock up cheap.

edit:
    actually, that timing would explain the hint on the Flock site that they may return.

#8 Webwanderer, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. nemesismk2

nemesismk2 Diamond Member

I feel the same way about facebook buying opera :(

10. Supreme_D

Supreme_D Junior Member

I haven't even heard that FB is going to buy Opera. If that will turn to be a fact then it'll be the end for Opera. I'll definitely stop using this browser.

#10 Supreme_D, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

can't get worse. i'm still using 11.5 since v12 and above is unstable for me. and they refuse to fix the tab stack bug so maybe if FB bought opera they might actually put effort into fixing it

12. Anubis

Anubis No Lifer

tab stack bug?

13. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

check their forums. fair few and long threads on it. no way to move tabs on higher res monitors when you have a lot of tabs without them auto stacking. annoying and opera refuse to give us option of disabling it