help me install Win 7 (OEM) onto an existing XP computer

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by xboxist, Jan 13, 2010.

1. xboxist

xboxist Diamond Member

Hi:

Would someone be able to walk me through, or point to a reference that will help me in my exact situation?

I have an existing computer with XP on it (dedicated O/S hard drive), but am not ready to build a new machine quite yet. I got my hands on a Windows 7 disc ("OEM for system builders") and want to transition over to it.

From there, I have no idea what to do. Perhaps the Windows 7 is disk smart enough to know what I need done and it will take care of it all for me? Or do I have to format stuff, etc.

Thank you in advance!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - install (OEM) existing Forum Date
    How to get Windows 7 product key from OEM so I can do a clean install? Computer Help Mar 31, 2013
    OEM Vista install tied to original Hardware? Computer Help Oct 18, 2010
    I need Help With an Installation Issue With Vista Ultimate OEM Computer Help May 15, 2007
    XP Clean install from OEM Recovery Disks Computer Help Sep 30, 2006
    Windows XP Home OEM installation error Computer Help Sep 20, 2005

3. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

Do you want to clean format? Do you want to dual-boot? If you don't care about it just put in the Windows 7 DVD and boot from it, then just keep hitting "Next" till it's installed.

4. Gunbuster

Gunbuster Diamond Member

"OEM for system builders" sounds a little suspicious. If it's a OEM CD it will only work if it detects the correct BIOS (Dell for example)

Are you sure this is not really the "OEM for torrent users edition"? :p

5. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

Ahem.

6. Blazer

Blazer Golden Member

just put the cd in and reboot and watch the black screen and choose yes where it ask boot from cd, select yes install, when ask where to install you will see the disk, click on the disk to select and choose delete partition, that way win 7 will format the disk as needed and do the install, have it connected to the internet so win 7 can download and install all needed updates [ you should have atleast a 1.5mbps internet connection ] , it will reboot twice i think , maybe more if needed, once it starts the install donot select boot fron cd again as that will put you into a continuos reboot, eventually you'll come to the welcome screen at that point you need to install a virus software [have it ready to install], microsoft security essentials is free and NAG free that has good detection rates, this method is used for a Fresh install so anything that is on the disk will be lost forever! backup as needed.

7. xboxist

xboxist Diamond Member

I have no reservations about blanking the HD that XP is currently installed on. So then it sounds like the W7 install process will properly format and install onto that HD without a hitch?

Thanks!

PS - no, no dual boot needed

#6 xboxist, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  8. Blazer

Blazer Golden Member

on a clean install you should have no problem, just remember to delete the partition that xp was on, and format the drive.

9. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

Toss the DVD in and boot from it, when you get to the drive window, hit "advanced" (maybe "more"?) and then hit delete, then hit new and continue on from there.

10. xboxist

xboxist Diamond Member

Ok, I think I get it. Just to clarify... this is stuff that I can do through the install DVD? Or is this stuff I need to do before I even put the disc in the tray?

PS -- in other words, I don't have to navigate through DOS to format and partition, right? The disc will do it for me?

#9 xboxist, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  11. crosshairs

crosshairs Golden Member

This is stuff you do during the initial steps of the install....put the disc in and boot from it...just follow the directions and read carefully, Its really very simple.

it will not allow an upgrade from XP, so a clean install will probably be your only option.

Im sure you know this, but just to be safe...you will lose everything that is currently on that drive, so if you have any documents or pictures or anything else, burn them to a CD or DVD before you start.

12. xboxist

xboxist Diamond Member

Right, got it. I have an external drive that I will toss things onto if need be.

Thanks again.