Help Me Find My Way

Nograts

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2014
Allright so, I posted a few days ago about my work offering all those security vouchers. I get rated annually and I'm about to hit a new year, so in addition to the ~40 college hours I'm going to have on next year's, I'd also like to get either the CEH, or the CISSP.

Do you suggest that I start small with the CEH? Or go balls out with CISSP? Or do both (remember I work 80+ hours a week and have 3 kids + college).

What are my goals? Well, currently I am pursuing a bachelors in computer security. From there I want to get a master's in digital forensics. The college is totally free so it's not like I need to make 6 figures. I have two schools of thought on this (keep in mind I will be collecting a pension in about a decade so this won't take place until then, and is the reason why I don't need to make 6 figures):

Option A) Work at a mom and pop shop, or best-buy equivalent type place and just recover hard drives and do brainless activities, and be overly qualified for the job. Make ~10-15 bucks an hour, maybe become a manager and make more? 40 hours a week.

Option B) With a digital forensic degree (plus certifications, IT experience etc), work for city? County? state? Where do investigators work btw? Could be a high paying job, could be a demanding job. IDK if any of you actually do this.

So what kind of input can you guys give me? Will I just be a guy with a worthless degree in 10 years? Is it insanely competetive in the 'digital forensics' realm? Or is that a pretty broad degree as far as security goes.

Thanks for your input!

It all depends on what you want. How old are your children? Are they going to suffer with the hours you will be away from them or are they pretty much out living their own life's. Just don't burn yourself out from juggling everything and you should be fine. Look at all the pros and cons and you will find the answer to your question. Good Luck on which ever decision you decide on.