Help me find a good A/V receiver that's 220v compatible

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm trying to find a decent receiver that is 110-220v compatible. From a retailer that will ship to an APO address (I'm military and stationed overseas, but my APO address counts as US).

I was going to pull the trigger on the Yamaha RX-V765 since it's on sale for $380

but I learned it's not the 110-220v version.

My budget is about $300-$400

Thanks!

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
You may want to download the manual for any receiver you are interested in. Most of the receivers now use SMPS supplies that have a wide operating voltage. Before this they would have a switch similar to some of the older pc power supplies to switch between 110/220 but the last few years they have moved to autodetection and will switch to the mode that the power source happens to be.

If the manual says 110V@5A, 220V@2.5A and doesn't have models for different countries then it is one that can be used anywhere. Many LCD tv are like this.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You may want to download the manual for any receiver you are interested in. Most of the receivers now use SMPS supplies that have a wide operating voltage. Before this they would have a switch similar to some of the older pc power supplies to switch between 110/220 but the last few years they have moved to autodetection and will switch to the mode that the power source happens to be.

If the manual says 110V@5A, 220V@2.5A and doesn't have models for different countries then it is one that can be used anywhere. Many LCD tv are like this.

If they can take 220v, it has to be marked in the back panel.

electroju

Jun 16, 2010
I suggest get a line conditioner that is designed to step-down the voltage to 120 volts. The benefits of using a line conditioner is your electronics will work better. From what I read, 220 lines are noisy, so a line conditioner will clean it out. A clean AC helps electronics last long and work better.

I suggest AV receivers from Harman Kardon because they provide high current audio amplifiers and have an on screen display that outputs to your TV to ease configuring. Current matters for audio amplification to speakers because it helps to produce bass. Using an amplifier that has less current capability will produce bass that is weak and distorted. Though in your price range Harman Kardon AV receivers does not have enough wattage, but if you have efficient speakers then it is a different story.

You may want to download the manual for any receiver you are interested in. Most of the receivers now use SMPS.
I am not sure where you are looking at, but none of a receivers and surround sound processors that I have looked have what you said. All of them uses a linear power supply. Using a switch-mode power supply for audio equipment ruins the quality of the sound. Car audio equipment that requires higher voltage than 13.5 volts, uses a switch-mode power supply. Car audio does not go for audio quality. They go for loudness.

CubanlB

Oct 24, 2003
The Pioneer is near the top of their regular lineup before you step up to the elites. My experience is that they tend to be great receivers but their room calibration is much different that the very lauded Audyssey calibration. Pioneer claims their calibration is much better for EQ on a multichannel system (as it is a graphical EQ system vs. the Parametric of the Audyssey), but I can't really speak to this having never compared them side by side although the pioneer setup.

One other point, Pioneer remotes are the biggest POS's ever created by man. The have many buttons doing double duty with a function key etc, and the manual and setup of the receiver are much more complicated than is needed. I always hated explaining how to use Pioneers to people.

Anyway, you're not going to hate yourself for getting the Pioneer, but there are most likely better options. Just my opinion on the Pioneer if nothing better presents itself.

Anyway, the down stepping line conditioner would be a great idea (as it would give you many more option on components), but its going to significantly raise the price point of the system and you may not need it in the future.

I take it you are stationed somewhere without many options. Are you going to keep the receiver when your deployment ends?