Help me choose a new lens for my baby's arrival

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Bodies: D610 and D7000, so DX and FX
Current inventory: Tokina 11-16 2.8 (DX), Nikons: 24mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 35-70 2.8, 80-200 2.8

I'm mostly sorta vacillating between the (FX) 35mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8, or maybe an AF-D 85mm 1.4. I think something fast and longer like the 85mm might be the most useful, but then I think a fast wide prime like the 35mm would be better for getting closer.

Trying to keep my budget $500 or below, but I'd stretch it if I thought it was worth it -- like the 105 and 135 f/2 DC lenses are kinda on the radar, as well as the 105 2.8 macro.

Anybody wanna chime in?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Are you sure your wife is good with you photographing the baby's arrival? :p

I think the fast 85mm might be the sweet spot as it gives you some standoff distance to not interfere with the moments you would be trying to capture which might be a problem with the 35mm. The 105mm macro is sweet, sweet glass but you lose depth of field and it's expensive and heavy.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Are you sure your wife is good with you photographing the baby's arrival? :p

I think the fast 85mm might be the sweet spot as it gives you some standoff distance to not interfere with the moments you would be trying to capture which might be a problem with the 35mm. The 105mm macro is sweet, sweet glass but you lose depth of field and it's expensive and heavy.
That's good info thank you.

And no I don't mean the actual *emergence* of my baby, but basically every day *after* that. 🙂

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Being there at the right moment in time in the right place with the right gear is of course the goal of every parent wanting to memorialize their child's precious moments.

Although what really brings out the pic's highest level of potential is shooting RAW and post processing in PS. Are you handy with PS? If so, your lens budget of $500 is more than adequate for your needs along with a few lighting tools like a couple of different color reflectors, a stand or two to hang the reflectors on, etc.

I will always refrain from using direct flash when shooting baby pics, but that's just me.

As IronWing had mentioned, a fast prime 85 is a first pick IMO, although I've used a 24-70 for its versatility and a 70-200 if the baby is afraid of the camera and the noise it makes when they're in a fussy mood.

Patience above all though.

Congrats and Good Luck!

edit - Forgot to mention although I suspect you already know, baby skin is practically featureless, so lighting is going to be an essential tool for you to bring out skin tones and textures.

whiteonline

Dec 13, 2009
I agree with the above -- a good (faster) 24-70 will make your life easier. But that is out of budget. In all honesty, the 50mm on your FX will be more than adequate.

Tips-
With my child, I prepped a room with a north-facing sliding glass door with a thin curtain to provide very soft lighting. Light overcast days are your friend.
Also, best to make photos after feeding and don't forget to make the room WARM! Easy enough during the summer of course.