Help me choose a car (probably buying within a week)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Cliffs:
Don't think I'm happy with any car on the market today for any amount of money. Don't think I'll ever be happy until they have autonomous cars. Looking at a 2015 Forester Touring vs a used 2012-2014 Volvo XC60 AWD with blind spot indicator package. Gut tells me that if we go Volvo, I'll drive it until its wheels fall off because its so much more expensive. Also tells me that if we go Forester, I'll want to trade it in in 5yrs time for something more polished. (Anticipating a significant salary bump since I'll be done training by then). Not sure if buying new and trading in early is dumber than buying premium used and keeping it for longer. Cost is a bigger deal because we're thinking about having kids soonish.

More details:
Looking at a 2015 Forester Touring (~29k) and a used 2012-2014 Volvo XC60 AWD (~32-38k). Already ran quotes by insurance. Roughly $30-50 more per year to insure a Volvo. Already have financing approved for 25k @ ~2% x60m. Have 15k set aside for this thing too.

Currently have a 2002 Camry LE. Tires should be replaced very soon. Don't feel like dropping $800 in a car worth $4-5k. Also, the road noise at highway speeds drives me up the wall.

Forester Pros
- Cheaper
- AWD standard
- Blind spot visibility is superior because of the huge windows

Forester Cons:
- Seems almost as noisy as my Camry. The 13 year old one.
- Center armrest is too small for my dog and the armrest storage might be too small for me. My dog likes to sit on the armrest in my Camry. (Yeah, I know it's not the safest, but my dog is awesome, that's what she likes, and when she's in the car, I drive like an 80yr old. To be fair, she's only riding when we're going to the dog park, groomer, or vet.
- I thought EyeSight would be awesome. The only useful thing for me is auto braking at 25mph to a stop. I couldn't trigger lane departure until I was already half in the next lane, and it didn't work at all with white lines on gray concrete pavement (maybe it was too sunny?). Automatic cruise control sounds nice; but if I leave that to the car, highway driving will be even more boring.
- Cheaper to purchase and repair. Slightly cheaper to insure. Slightly cheaper fuel. But overall cheaper in every measurable way. Including the feel of the car.
- Dash layout is awful. Backup cam is tiny. Was thinking about OEM Nav, but the screen is flush with the dash so it's completely washed out by the sun half the time. And with the big windows, it'll be washed out more than your average car.

Volvo Pros:
- Quiet. I like that. Made me happy.
- Fit and finish inside is nice. Almost too nice.
- Dash layout makes sense. The screen is inset in a cowl and is easily seen under the same sun conditions where the Forester bombed out.
- Original warranty is transferrable

Volvo Cons:
- Passenger side blindspot is huge. I'm 5'6". When I knew an Accord was pulling up on my right, I was only able to see 1-2" of roofline. Tried adjusting seat height, made minimal difference. Not quite sure I'm ready to trust the blind spot warning systems entirely, since I like to see stuff directly.
- Cost. Initial outlay may be almost 10k more than the Subaru. As far as I'm concerned, the insurance and fuel difference is almost negligible, but they are more expensive. Any repairs, which should be more likely in a used car, will cost more.
- Feels like its financially irresponsible to take a full loan/tap almost all of the earmarked savings for a car when I admittedly don't like to drive anyway.
- Feels like too nice of a car for me. I'm 30 and still in training.

Things I'm trying to balance:
- Thinking about having a kid in the next year, so safety is a priority. The small frontal offset seems to be where everyone struggles, it also seems like its the most likely thing to happen after a head-on/T-bone.
- Driveway is pretty narrow. Camry is 70.7" wide. At the chokepoint, there's about 4-6" clearance between my side mirrors and the house/neighbor's fence.
- I would prefer a slightly shorter car. Camry is 189" long. Makes parallel parking a PITA sometimes.
- Need AWD so that at least one of our cars can handle the occasional dicey road conditions on the way to/from daycare
- Would prefer a nicely insulated cabin because my Camry's noise has been irritating me for the past 4yrs. Hushed well enough to accept calls over bluetooth and not have road noise drown me out.
- *Really* want dual zone automatic climate control. Wife and I consistently like different temperatures when we run errands together.
- Want smooth riding (i.e. not sporty) suspension if a kid is asleep

Things people tend to care about that I don't care about:
- MPG. I live close to work to avoid long commutes. I don't think I drive more than 2-3k miles/yr
- Leather, heated seats, moonroof, speaker system, pedals, "sport-like" feel.
- New car smell. I tolerate the new car smell.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
:confused: Why would a set of tires for a Camry cost $800?

For a vehicle you spend so little time in I'm wondering why you're considering this at all.

Volvo cons:
-It's a Volvo so it will fall apart in a few years...

Last edited:

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Spent a long time thinking about the tires vs car situation. The Camry also barely passed emissions testing this year (had to use some kind of additive for a couple days and retested), and parts of the dash squeak enough that its especially irritating to me but moderately irritating to my wife. If we were to keep the Camry, we'd also be looking to replace the engine mounts again because the steering wheel idle and braking vibrations are ramping up again (approx $500 IIRC).

And the elephant in the room: I have no idea what exactly happened in some kind of engine oil debacle. All I know is that the shop that did it did everything under the table (on their end, I didn't pay) and is now under different ownership. I have no documentation and the new owners have no idea either. So while the car continues to work 2yrs after this incident, I haven't been able to piece together exactly what happened, what was repaired/replaced/rebuilt, or what I should expect.

As far as tires, the noise factor is really irritating. Like I've read through several threads about aftermarket NVH isolation with raamat, dynamat, etc. IIRC, I'd be looking at Michelin Primacy MXV+ based on consumer reports and some quiet tire websites. Figure $180+tax per tire and installation fees and whatever discounts are offered puts me in the ballpark of $800.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
The Camry of that era had sludge issues if the oil wasn't changed often enough. That's the most likely "debacle" but should be a non issue if dealt with properly.

Clearly the Volvo and Forester are in a different class. I like the Forester for what it is but I think what you want is really a more luxurious vehicle. How about a used RX350 or RDX?

Pandamonium

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Ya it was weird. Went in for an oil change, car stopped working <48hrs later or so. No clue what happened but the AAA tow person said there was oil "everywhere." Although unclear if inside the engine, on the pavement, or both. (It was dark)

Definitely like some aspects of luxury brands. (Mainly sound deadening and climate control). If you could take those few luxury features and put a non-luxury badge on it, that'd be ideal. I don't want to look like I've got cash to burn. God forbid there's an accident, I don't want to be targeted as "that guy with the luxury car to sue". By MRSP, Volvo is in that category too, but for some reason, Volvo holds an in-between status in my mind...

Only driven an RX but not an RDX. Drove a TL and MDX a few times though. All were almost overwhelming in the luxury factor. I liked it, but didn't need *all* of it.

Anyway, the other reason those weren't on my list is that I don't have data on the small frontal overlap testing on either vehicle. If I assume the RX/highlander and RDX/CR-V are structurally the same, then I'm looking at acceptable vs marginal crash testing. I'd prefer strong results all around though.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
As much as I like Volvo I still hesitate to buy one due to perceived reliability. That small offset test is so new you're very limited in cars that do well in it.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
If you are looking at forester, you might want to look at outback. It's a little more upscale compared to forester, should have less road noise, so maybe that will be a good compromise between the two.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Lexus es350 used and snow tires for the winter

Yeah - if you want quiet, comfortable, and affordable, I'd look at a used Lexus. Toyota reliability, and at 2-3k miles a year, it should last you a long time.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Prius

- narrow, well built, economical and its Toyota. You don't drive much but you want a dependable car that will last a long time and that will fit in your driveway. I wouldn't look much further.

New or used is really about your budget and not about the car.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Prius

- narrow, well built, economical and its Toyota. You don't drive much but you want a dependable car that will last a long time and that will fit in your driveway. I wouldn't look much further.

New or used is really about your budget and not about the car.

It would be even more economical for him to buy a non-hybrid hatch if he drives so little.

Of course, I don't think either of these will meet his requirement for low road noise (at least not at interstate level speeds).

OP, if you're looking for quiet, take a look at the 2015 Acura TLX. I haven't driven one myself, but just about every review mentions how quiet it is. Base model with the 4 cylinder is around ~32k new I think. Unfortunately, you're looking at closer to ~40k if you want AWD since they make you step up to the v6.

And I know you don't like your current camry, but supposedly toyota worked on making the 2015 quieter. I would take a look at that if you want to get into something priced a little lower.

I'd also recommend you check out the AWD jeep cherokee if they weren't having so many issues with their 9 speed transmissions--the new ones are supposed to be fairly quiet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.