Question Help me build a box - I've not followed recent developments...

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Looking to build a box again, which I've done tens of times before, but I've not been watching the latest HW developments for past 2-3 years. Currently, I am on i7/3070 laptop which has been great but gets loudish under loads.

What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
- Average level of photo development, some gaming, office work

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
-around 2K for now.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA - online and/or MC

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
-Not too much, but for now, AMD/nVidia - not a must.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-I have Seasonic 650 PSU and 2 x Seagate 530SSDs which I'll reuse

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
-No overclocking

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
-2x4K monitors

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
-AD 2023.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
-Preferably Windoze 10PRO.

Looking for a quiet build - primary objective. No SATA devices at all. No wifi needed. Will use 2xnVME drives. Might use local Micro Center for all of the parts. 1 good NIC will do.
Secondary objective - smaller physical size needed. No need for full towers, leds, side windows.

This comes to basically getting the Case, CPU/Mobo and cooling, VGA and memory. System Shock Remake has been the newest game I play. Besides, I don't do much new games. Will play FS 2022 eventually.

Peace.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Looking for a quiet build - primary objective.
Does it still have to be quiet while doing "some gaming"?

Secondary objective - smaller physical size needed. No need for full towers, leds, side windows.
Full towers tend to provide the space necessary for quiet fans.

You probably want liquid cooling for quiet. If you want really quiet you'd want it for your GPU as well. Since they don't make all-in-one GPUs with cooling in your budget, I think I should invite @aigomorla to comment on custom water cooling options.

Reactions: bigi

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If he's ok with a extra 600 dollar price tag on custom watercooling gear, yeah i can help him out.
And yes it can be significantly quieter because of that waterblock on the GPU when it ramps up full blast.
But again... its roughly about 600 dollars+ for all the gear.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ok.. then how small do you want it?
Problem is the need for for using 2xnVME's.
That almost wipes out 99% of itx builds.
Can I ask why you need nVME outside the boot drive, and not use a Raid-0 config on SATA SSD's for storage?

What software do you use for development?
Is it something that is very multithread hungry or more of the tweeker single core variety.

If Flight Sim is what your looking to play, and you want an AMD, its off to the X3D line you go.
And for your gpu, id probably recommend an AMD one on top with SAM activated.
But that brings me back to one... how quiet and small do you want this?
I really don't think you need to watercool it if you pick the right case and the right AIB for your video card.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
I think I got it.
Micro ATX is totally fine. Air cooled GPU will do too. I'll probably go with water for the CPU. I dropped SATA stuff years ago.
I'll start with Torrent Nano and see. I wish any tower builds could use external PSUs to make it less crammed. Oh, well.

In any case, thanks for your inputs.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Admittedly over budget, but packing a 4090. I have the case, GPU, HSF, and power supply and I can confirm they are quiet. I have the HSF cooling my 12700KF and it maintains decent temps while gaming, so it'll have no problems cooling the AMD CPU that runs much lower power. I have the GPU rad on top, and an extra case fan on the bottom but I'm not sure that was necessary. Also invest in a GPU brace: they're cheap insurance.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2kpdn6

You can replace the 4090 with something like a 4070ti and it'll come in under your budget.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Admittedly over budget, but packing a 4090. I have the case, GPU, HSF, and power supply and I can confirm they are quiet. I have the HSF cooling my 12700KF and it maintains decent temps while gaming, so it'll have no problems cooling the AMD CPU that runs much lower power. I have the GPU rad on top, and an extra case fan on the bottom but I'm not sure that was necessary. Also invest in a GPU brace: they're cheap insurance.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2kpdn6

You can replace the 4090 with something like a 4070ti and it'll come in under your budget.
I like it. Budget is not an issue.

I have found Gigabyte 4080 water cooled which seem to go for 1.4K. Noticed that the 4090 cooler is smaller than the one I've seen on 4080 so I might even go with that one.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Feb 4, 2009
If he's ok with a extra 600 dollar price tag on custom watercooling gear, yeah i can help him out.
And yes it can be significantly quieter because of that waterblock on the GPU when it ramps up full blast.
But again... its roughly about 600 dollars+ for all the gear.
Gotta say my Corsair H100 cools well and is fairly quiet. No silent but fairly quiet. Pump makes some noise but it’s a different sort of noise that I don’t find irritating. Fans make some noise too but again it isn’t bad.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
AIO's are not true watercooling except a very select few.
Your better off with a noctua D14 class heat sinks then a AIO unless you are going to a 360 class.
And then he runs into his first issue.... he wants it small, and 360 requires 120x3 radiator mount.

Don't even AIO it... its more things that can fail, and having a set length of tubing you can't really adjust is a PITFA when dealing with tight spaces.