• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Help me brainstorm....

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Damn!

Ok. 2 HPLC instruments in our lab.

One is hooked to a Dell 500mhz/128mb Winnt 4.0 box.

One is hooked to an IBM 2.4ghz/128mb winnt 4.0 box.

The one on the dell can reporocess a run in 45mins. The one on the IBM can reprocess the same run in 3 hours.

What would cause this? the IBM box is 5x the speed.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Checked each machine for other processes running that may be chewing up CPU time?

What about free disk space or swap file size?

NIC drivers?

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
What sort of storage interface do they have? At my old job, when we upgraded the SCSI subsystem in our HPLC controller system, it improved our runs greatly.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
Hmmm, your name is an oxymoron -> you've been here since the start of AT -> you're an Elite Member.

And I am worthy of helping you brainstorm?

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
It's basically a reprocess of the data acquired from the HPLC, so the instruments or the interface shouldn't really come into play. They are both Agilent 1100's with the same components and same run methods.

The HD's are both IDE. I'm running TASK MANAGER during the reprocess and both are staying around 104mb of used system memory. The IBM CPU is spiked, but it is still running a few more injections. I will check the CPU usaged again when the injections are finished. The DELL CPU is running around 50%.

I'll check disk space.

Hmmm, your name is an oxymoron -> you've been here since the start of AT -> you're an Elite Member.

And I am worthy of helping you brainstorm?
Sure. Even lowly members like you have a use. ;)

ASK THE COMMUNITY