Help me answer a very short survey on race

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I got a homework survey for my Cultural Anthropology class. Got 5 short questions for you to answer. If you want to help, you can answer these 5 questions w/o any too much indepth thinking or any research. Sort of like just answering them right off the top of your head. Also try not to peek at other people's answers till you posted yours ;) I need as many as possible. TIA

1. Define the term race (what does the term "race" mean or refer to?)
2. How many races are there?
3. List 3 races you know of?
4. Your age
5. Your self-defined race or ethnicity

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
1. The act of running
2. Many.
3. Boston marathon, Bay to Breakers, Ironman triathlon.
4. 37
5. I don't run in races.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
1. a group that shares some slight (probably trivial) genetic differences from the rest of the species
2. many
3. white, black, east asian
4. 20
5. east asian

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: SOSTrooper
I got a homework survey for my Cultural Anthropology class. Got 5 short questions for you to answer. If you want to help, you can answer these 5 questions w/o any too much indepth thinking or any research. Sort of like just answering them right off the top of your head. Also try not to peek at other people's answers till you posted yours ;) I need as many as possible. TIA

1. Define the term race (what does the term "race" mean or refer to?) people grouped together based on a common history and genetically transmitted characteristics
2. How many races are there? quite a few
3. List 3 races you know of? Egyptian, Scottish, Japanese
4. Your age 19
5. Your self-defined race or ethnicity Scottish (I was born in Scotland, of two scottish parents)

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
1. Similar genetic traits most largely being skin pigmentation and hair types and growth patterns
2. I'd say around 8-10 without getting overly critical
3. Caucasion(white), Asian, and Native American
4. 25
5. Caucasion (white)

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
911paramedic took my answer, except im 21.

there's also the LA marathon, lots of different kinds of olympic races, heck, even F1, Rally, and other automotive races.

(the act of running doesnt have to be confined to 2 feet :))

brigden

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2002
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
1. The act of running
2. Many.
3. Boston marathon, Bay to Breakers, Ironman triathlon.
4. 37
5. I don't run in races.

Gold, Jerry, gold!

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
1. A competition between two or more people
2. Too many to count
3. LA Marathon, Tortoise-Hare Race, Grand Prix
4. 24
5. Asian?

EDIT: DAMN, SOMEONE BEAT ME IN THE RACE TO IT :(

fatalbert

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
1. A grouping of similar beings. (species)
2. 1 (of humans)
3. Humans, Silverback Gorrilla's, Chimpanzees
4. 20
5. race=human, ethnicity=white

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
1. common usage-artificial classification of people based on insignificant differences, usually for political or socio-economic reasons.

scientific usage-sub-species classification based on evolutionary differences caused by enviromental conditions and geographical seperation of members of the same species.

I'm spent.:moon:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
1. an arbitrary breakdown of individuals based on a "you know it when you see if" non-definition
2. 3
3. caucasoid, mongoloid, negroid (caucasoid-mogoloid look to have split from negroid about 110,000 years ago, and then those two split between 41 and 15 thousand years ago.)
4. 24
5. caucasoid

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: SOSTrooper

4. Your age

1) A contest between two or more indivduals using any method of transportation to see who get from one point to another the fastest. Typical races are usually between people running, however car races, boat races and aircraft races are common.
2) Dozens, if not hundreds.
3) The Reno Air Races, the Boston Marthathon (sp?), and the Indy 500.
4) 21
5) I don't participate in races.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Race is the similar traits groups of ppl share because they have common ancestors.

That's like asking how many shades of blue there are. Depends where you want to make the lines. If I had to pick a number, I'd say emmm... 24 (4 per inhabited continent?).

Broadly, arabian, eskimo, mongolian.

4. Your age

Scandinavian.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
1, 2, 3) Biological classification, grouping the human species by genetic differences and similarites in a half dozen or so major race categories including Caucasin, Negroid and Mongolian (white, black and asian). 4) At the age of which you're not suppose to trust anyone over. 5) The third grouping.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
1. made up term by west europeans and north americans to help classify people as to more easily discriminate against them
2. none, race is a myth. well 1, if you would like to say we are all of the same race
3. there aren't 3 total
4. 19
5. i'm human like you

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
a classification making separate a group of people based on slight genetic variation from the rest of the population.

of humans? 3

caucasoid, mongoloid, and negroid.

caucasoid.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
1. an arbitrary breakdown of individuals based on a "you know it when you see if" non-definition
2. 3
3. caucasoid, mongoloid, negroid (caucasoid-mogoloid look to have split from negroid about 110,000 years ago, and then those two split between 41 and 15 thousand years ago.)
4. 24
5. caucasoid

That would be correct.