Question Help looking for SFF PC for Google Earth projects?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Looking for a PC in the $500-800 range. Laptop would be great, but not necessary. If PC, should be relatively small form factor, but wouldn't need to be NUC-size small. Something ~2L volume should be considered the max I would say, but smaller would be welcome. I use to do my own builds 20+ years ago, but this isn't for me and I don't really have the time anymore, so pre-built preferred (stuff like adding RAM wouldn't be a problem though).

The most intensive thing that will be done on this PC is going projects with and running Google Earth (as a desktop application on Windows).

We're upgrading from a laptop that has an i7-8550U with integrated graphics, 16GB RAM and Toshiba XG5 512GB NVMe SSD. Right now, Google Earth is a bit slow and laggy (at times), importing layered images from the local drive. I can see in the Resource Monitor that the CPU and GPU are both high utilization (sometimes the CPU pegs). I've tweaked some of the settings, but haven't been able to improve the performance much.

Not married to either Intel or AMD, whatever is going to deliver the best performance per price.

Buying in the US.

Have all the peripherals needed, just looking for the PC itself.

Would like to get something in the next 3 months probably, but could potentially hang on longer if something will be coming out imminently after the 3 months period expires.

My thoughts are currently set towards something like the HP Elitedesk, or the NUC or similar (like ASUS PN series). My main problem is, I can't seem to find any benchmarks or even guidelines on how to pick hardware optimally for Google Earth. It seems GPU intensive, but I'm not 100% sure at what point that becomes the bottle-neck or if nVidia or AMD seem better at handling it. Or if doesn't even matter with a current gen device, because we're so far beyond the integrated graphics that were in the Intel 8th gen products. So I'm looking for your advice/input. Thanks!

Last edited:

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Thanks. We are using Google Earth version 7.3.6.xx and I do see the System Requirements (minimum and recommended). Unfortunately, we already exceed those requirements, so it doesn't really tell the story of which CPUs or GPUs are actually better for importing new layers and modifying projects and such.

Do you have any advice as to AMD vs Intel and/or which GPUs are best suited?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No idea what you're planning on doing with Google Earth, but I just went and played around with it a bit...smooth as silk with my current build. Had an occasional CPU spike, but it never registered on the GPU portion of the task monitor.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
We have a project that imports different images and overlays them onto the existing Google Earth map. Similar to what we're doing, would be taking photos from a drone or overhead camera and then replace the stock images in Google Earth for a specific area (which you can do be specifying a corner of a coordinate and then specifying the length and width). Imagine a project with 100+ such images. When you open up Google Earth and zoom into that part of the world with all those images, the program takes a while to render all those imported images. Once they are all imported, then it's more smooth, but it does still lag some.

The images being imported every time are on the local PC, so it's not a internet connection speed issue.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Using integrated graphics still puts a load on the CPU, so something with a discrete graphics card should help quite a bit. Your budget doesn't really leave a lot of room for powerful components. Maybe used? I don't know where you're located? Within the USA? We have a couple of members here who refurb PC's and sell them at reasonable prices.

Last edited:

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Yes, in the USA. And actually, I looked again and the current system does have discrete graphic, very low (even at the time), I'm sure, nVidia GeForce MX150.

Here's something I'm looking at:
ASUS PN53 ($800) -- AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with 16GB RAM (DDR5-4800), Radeon 680M and 512GB PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD (brand/model unknown?).

Could you quantify for me, how you think this might increase the performance upon the current system that's ~4 year old?
Intel i7-8550U, 16GB RAM (DDR4-2400), GeForce MX150, Toshiba XG5 512GB SSD

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Yes, in the USA. And actually, I looked again and the current system does have discrete graphic, very low (even at the time), I'm sure, nVidia GeForce MX150.

Here's something I'm looking at:
ASUS PN53 ($800) -- AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with 16GB RAM (DDR5-4800), Radeon 680M and 512GB PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD (brand/model unknown?).

Could you quantify for me, how you think this might increase the performance upon the current system that's ~4 year old?
Intel i7-8550U, 16GB RAM (DDR4-2400), GeForce MX150, Toshiba XG5 512GB SSD

I know zip about AMD, but it appears that one is quite a bit faster than the i7.