HELP: Lock up at Verifying DMI Pool Data at boot-up

Ferris1

Oct 2, 2000
I've had this computer for about 2 years. It is a C-433 on an Abit BX-6 (not overclocked). It was working fine and out of the clear blue on one day it started acting a little flaky with some freeze-ups. I went through the usual re-boot procedure and things were fine. Then, it locked up one more time and I cannot get it to boot up. When I turn it on, it goes through the video card check, processor speed check, memory check, PCI device listing. When it gets to the "Verifying DMI Pool Data", it goes no further. I opened up the computer and the processor heat sink was clogged up with dust. Heat may have been a problem...

Any ideas what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Sorry for sticking this here, but I'm not getting many hits in the Tech Support area. The only possibility that I've been given so far is a bad boot sector, possibly requiring a reformat. Is there anything else that I can do to fix this problem. If not, how do I go about conducting the reformat.

Thanks

fjorner

Oct 4, 2000
Hard drive problem? Just to be sure, open up the case and check all the connections. Had the same problem and it was a jumper problem on the hard drive... but that was just after I installed. If you've had it so long though.. dunno. Bumped recently?

Jonny

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
To format your drive, just first backup everything you have, possibly on a different partiition if you have one or a cd.

Then, boot into command prompt, and type:

format X: (X being whatever drive you want to parition)

This may take a while depending on how big that particular partition is. Then, continue to install windows again.

Ferris1

Oct 2, 2000
Fjorner,

I'll give it a try tonight and double check the works, although I don't think I will find anything.

Jonny,

I can't even get my computer to boot up. It freezes before anything gets loaded up.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I'm pretty sure its a bad CMOS. Clear it and see if the default will run correctly.

obenton

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
If BIOS defaults don't fix it, check adapter cards. Pull them out, and put them back one by one to see if one worked loose or went bad.

4824guy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sometimes it can be a IRQ conflict. Remove all add in cards except the video card and try it.